JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can *kinda* empathize with his reaction. That judge had her mind made up before she allowed him to say his piece. She was going to send him away no matter what he said.

Unless you have money, once you're in the system, it's damn near impossible to get out.

Obviously doesn't justify his attack - there isn't one, but I can sorta get it.

I can *kinda* empathize with his reaction. That judge had her mind made up before she allowed him to say his piece. She was going to send him away no matter what he said.

Unless you have money, once you're in the system, it's damn near impossible to get out.

The guys record sealed his deal for me. Sounds to me like he was fine after every time in the system, until he wasn't any more. I don't really care if you don't have the self control to get out of the system. The system is not only for punishment. The system is there, just as much, to keep ME SAFE from scum like that. If he had wailed on you because you wouldn't give him money for a tall boy./smokes you wouldn't "kinda" empathize I'd guess.

The guys record sealed his deal for me. Sounds to me like he was fine after every time in the system, until he wasn't any more. I don't really care if you don't have the self control to get out of the system. The system is not only for punishment. The system is there, just as much, to keep ME SAFE from scum like that. If he had wailed on you because you wouldn't give him money for a tall boy./smokes you wouldn't "kinda" empathize I'd guess.
I get that.

But I've known a lot of guys who honestly wanted to do the right thing. Tried getting jobs - couldn't because of their record. Wanted to get to a new area, but couldn't because of 1. His record. 2. No money 3. Probation forbid it.

I'm not making excuses for this guy, but there are a lot of people genuinely getting screwed again and again all the while under the guise of 'justice'. I see no justice in sending a guy away who's at least making an effort to right the ship, even if they take a step back at times.

Now in this case I don't know what he did to be in front of a judge again - it could have been violent, which would change my opinion on this sentencing.

You can't make a future if your chained down by your past.

Last Edited:
I get that.

But I've known a lot of guys who honestly wanted to do the right thing. Tried getting jobs - couldn't because of their record. Wanted to get to a new area, but couldn't because of 1. His record. 2. No money 3. Probation forbid it.

I'm not making excuses for this guy, but there are a lot of people genuinely getting screwed again and again all the while under the guise of 'justice'. I see no justice in sending a guy away who's at least making an effort to right the ship, even if they take a step back at times.

Now in this case I don't know what he did to be in front of a judge again - it could have been violent, which would change my opinion on this sentencing.

You can't make a future if your chained down by your past.
Recidivism rates in the U.S. are some of the highest in the world with almost 44% of criminals released returning to prison within their first year out.

people don't change.

Did you hear some of what she had said? This did not sound like someone who made a mistake and was now kept down. He was a career criminal. His reaction to the judge no longer slapping his hand yet again shows how well he is able to be an adult. He is a prime example of someone who will spend the rest of his life making one poor choice after another and expecting everyone else to just let it go.

Did you hear some of what she had said? This did not sound like someone who made a mistake and was now kept down. He was a career criminal. His reaction to the judge no longer slapping his hand yet again shows how well he is able to be an adult. He is a prime example of someone who will spend the rest of his life making one poor choice after another and expecting everyone else to just let it go.
I'm not disputing that. I never said he didn't deserve what he got. Just providing a different perspective from someone who has been through some of it and seen former associates go through the worst of it.

But clearly my message isn't getting through, so I'm out.

I know well personal redemption can and does occur. I've seen it from various perspectives. It is, however, the exception, not the norm. I wish that wasn't so, but that is true of a lot of things in this crazy world.

As to this video; yikes. :eek:

Adding to the conversation; redemption needs to come despite of, or even because of, "harsh" treatment by the justice system. You cannot expect to get leniency for the promise of future redemption. True redemption is manifest in good behavior despite still challenging situations; time in the system, time out on parole with all the difficulty with jobs and housing, etc. If people are going to use challenging situations as an excuse for recidivism they are missing the point. If you are going to require a friendly environment to maintain good behavior how can anyone say you have been redeemed, and will not just revert when life gets tough again?

(Please note we are not talking about our justice system's penchant to over-sentence otherwise trivial crimes. The state often views challenges to its authority, no matter how benign, as a far worse offense than even violence towards other plebes. People who challenge the system, even in ways that harm no one, often face harsher treatment than rapists and murderers. This is grossly misplaced priories and an affront to true justice, but that is another topic entirely. This guy does not appear to fall into this category and indeed looks like he got off lightly on prior violent offenses. The only way his case relates to the above problem is he should have had the book thrown at him far earlier, but since he had never assaulted any kind of authority (before now) no one saw fit to sentence him how he truly deserved.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top