JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm the same way. I don't waste money on junk. If it's something I truly want or need, I will wait until I can afford the "best" of whatever it is.

Buying cheap junk never pays off. It's ALWAYS a step or more behind what it should be.
You actually own tools? I pictured you this way…

IMG_7608.jpeg

Any significant purchase I make requires detailed research and then just when I think I have my mind made up, I check the reviews. The one or two bad reviews seem to offset the dozen good reviews, resulting in paralysis by analysis.

For instance - I was all set to buy a Jackery 500W power system. Until I watched a couple of YouTube videos comparing it to something they said was better. Then I watched the one about how many watt-hours are used by common items you would plug into one. And how long it will take the 100W solar panel to fully charge the Jackery unit. Which resulted in not being able to sleep with the thought that 500W is too low, resulting in now spending over $1000 instead of the $600 I could have bought the Jackery and solar panel for while it was onsale during my paralysis period.

I think I inherited the gene for mistake avoidance over action. Its not fun being me.

This drives my wife crazy, as her mode is to order it within minutes of seeing it for the first time and deciding she wants it.

:D
"...paralysis by analysis..."

That should be good for your wallet.

Saving my money and buying quality at a minimal amount vs buying an excessive amount of low dollar items just to say I have "a lot."

Saving money for a goal is key. If the goal/item is important enough.

If you delay a purchase long enough, you'll lose interest and want something else.
Good point - and it MIGHT work out better - case in point.

I lost out on the P226, but a CZ 75BD I had also been looking at was still in the pawn shop, so when I when I went in to get the 226 I took the CZ - and decided I liked it better than the 226. All steel and larger gun.

I went in to get the Winchester 1873 and it was gone. A while later I found a BB Henry .357 in my local Bi Mart. After looking it over I decided I could 'make it work' - and in retrospect I have been very satisfied.

While it is NOT a Winchester, it was approx. 1/3 the price, and well, I don't feel like I have to 'baby' the Henry as much as I might have with the Winnie in the field.

Don't get me wrong, I am very careful and 'anal' with my guns but they do used and carried in the field. I would have been much more 'critical' with the WInnie than the Henry for sure.

I will often sleep on a decision, I want or need to make. This often involves a purchasing decision but could be applied to any decision I am going to make.

Going forward, I am going to add a layer of delay before making a purchase decision. That layer will involve watching episodes of Hoarders before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What delay tactics do you use before making a decision?
Not having a purchasing problem as you do, I don't have any specific "tactics" that would work for your purchasing.

For you, I would suggest stop firearms purchasing. Completely. Stop looking!

Go shooting more, enjoy what you have.

Clean what you have taken shooting, and clean them well. In that newly organized space you shared in the other thread.

Having my discretionary income fund perpetually empty helps avoid rash purchases. If I really need or want something one of two things has to happen. I either have to skimp and save for it, which gives me time to debate whether I really need something, or I have to convince my wife I need something, and she acts as a great Jimminy Cricket telling me whether or not I really need something.

But I'm already to the point where my gun stuff resembles an episode of hoarders. I didn't recognize the problem until I had to move it all a few years ago…

Not having a purchasing problem as you do, I don't have any specific "tactics" that would work for your purchasing.

For you, I would suggest stop firearms purchasing. Completely. Stop looking!

Go shooting more, enjoy what you have.

Clean what you have taken shooting, and clean them well. In that newly organized space you shared in the other thread.
Cold turkey eh, not sure I will ever be capable of that.

As for enjoying my now clean work bench area and enjoying what I have, that is doable. I have a long queue of firearm related projects that can be worked on. I will see if that will fill the void that purchasing stuff has been filling.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top