JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know most of you guys can't see anything east of I5 but snakes account for many more injuries in the west than Bear.
And dogs are probably a close 2nd. In all my years of woods tramping I have never carried out of fear of anything specific but more as a force of habit and as an extension of my outdoor interests BUT I have dumped two dogs and drawn down on a few over the years. As far as meth heads are concerned while they are no doubt found more frequently than in years past my experience is they seem to stay close to their dilapidated vehicle camps relatively close to town (for commuting), aren't around long and typically don't interface with anyone they see in the woods as they know most people who are out in the woods driving pickups, Jeeps etc. are probably armed - but I still accelerate a bit if I find myself passing by one of their camps - which around here are few and far between.

I think that all of the suggestions are good ones, except the guy putting everyone down because his REI pants lack belt loops...
Putting everyone down? Not at all. Trying to prevent the inevitable path any thread with the word 'bear' usually takes- nothing short of A-10 Warthog air support can stop a bear....

As well as trying to prevent the OP from spending money on a Ruger Alaskan that is too heavy for long hikes....

As I recommended earlier... he needs a workout and should be carrying at least two hand cannons with 5000rds of ammo in the backpack along with a breakdown 10/22, a broken down AR, and a 12ga with 200rds.

BTW, what is up with all the comments about chest rigs being good for backpacking? What are ya'll packin, daypacks? For hiking yes, for backpacking I never left home w/o a full rig 75lb pack and a revolver in a nylon holster on the packbelt. Two day trips to a whole week, nothing more. Anything up around the shoulder straps or in the front (my packs had a chest strap for the extra weight capacity) would have been way to uncomfortable.

I was always armed for the same reasons I EDC, ya never know what will happen!

BTW, what is up with all the comments about chest rigs being good for backpacking? What are ya'll packin, daypacks? For hiking yes, for backpacking I never left home w/o a full rig 75lb pack and a revolver in a nylon holster on the packbelt. Two day trips to a whole week, nothing more. Anything up around the shoulder straps or in the front (my packs had a chest strap for the extra weight capacity) would have been way to uncomfortable.

I dont know... my Hillpeoplegear chest pack is comfortable with a pack on.

I couldn't imagine backpacking with a 75lb pack, forget about the gun. I can go about 5 days with about a 30lb load, what in the world are you carrying?

I'm looking for a stronger caliber like 40 and 45. I like revolvers, but I don't want to carry one. I know several people who have gotten into those "mythical" firefights and even have a boot camp buddy who was killed after boot camp in a robbery. Bad bubblegum happens to real people and I don't think its a fairy tale that it might happen to me or the people close to me. While I don't expect to get into a firefight with other humans they do happen. There are enough gunshots that go off in north Salem at night to keep me cautious enough to want to still retain some urban combat features in whatever I'm carrying. It's become much more common for me to not have the chance to switch out weapons. I'm also unwilling to leave a firearm in my car after having one get stolen from it.

The worst incidents I've had with wildlife have been water moccasins, wild dogs, cougar, and hyenas (while overseas). The incidents have made me believe that if I need to defend myself, it'll probably be a surprise. I like 9mm and I'm willing to carry it even in the woods as long as I'm with another armed person. But I spend a lot of time by myself up in the mountains and while not the smartest thing, its what I enjoy. If I'm responding to a surprise attack, while alone, I hope that I'll have the chance to get at least 1 shot off before I'm killed. I want that 1 shot to effective. Even if the only real performance difference is psychological...

I've rigged a molle pouch/holster to my hip belt that also contains a minimalist trauma kit. I haven't used it yet, but I hope it works out pretty well on my next trip.

I'm looking for a stronger caliber like 40 and 45. I like revolvers, but I don't want to carry one. I know several people who have gotten into those "mythical" firefights and even have a boot camp buddy who was killed after boot camp in a robbery. Bad bubblegum happens to real people and I don't think its a fairy tale that it might happen to me or the people close to me. While I don't expect to get into a firefight with other humans they do happen. There are enough gunshots that go off in north Salem at night to keep me cautious enough to want to still retain some urban combat features in whatever I'm carrying. It's become much more common for me to not have the chance to switch out weapons. I'm also unwilling to leave a firearm in my car after having one get stolen from it.

The worst incidents I've had with wildlife have been water moccasins, wild dogs, cougar, and hyenas (while overseas). The incidents have made me believe that if I need to defend myself, it'll probably be a surprise. I like 9mm and I'm willing to carry it even in the woods as long as I'm with another armed person. But I spend a lot of time by myself up in the mountains and while not the smartest thing, its what I enjoy. If I'm responding to a surprise attack, while alone, I hope that I'll have the chance to get at least 1 shot off before I'm killed. I want that 1 shot to effective. Even if the only real performance difference is psychological...

I would suggest a 45 over a 40 because of the availability of hardcast loads, offer better penetration in thick skinned and heavy boned bears.

45 ACP+P 255gr. SWC Hardcast 50rds.

45arim%20255-228x228.jpg

M&P 45. The 1.0 full size came in both a 4" and a 4.5". So far the 2.0 45 is 4.5" (they're still releasing models). Capacity is 10+1 and there's an optional 14 round mag.

If you wanted something a little smaller you could go with the 1.0 45 compact which is 8+1. It might also take the large mags but you'll have to check on that.

Anyway, it's lightweight, reliable, durable and affordable. You could even add an Apex trigger to it and you'd still be well under $1000.

Putting everyone down? Not at all. Trying to prevent the inevitable path any thread with the word 'bear' usually takes- nothing short of A-10 Warthog air support can stop a bear....

As well as trying to prevent the OP from spending money on a Ruger Alaskan that is too heavy for long hikes....
Okay okay, the tone I assumed was off. I suppose I was just unaware that hiking pants lack suck a practical feature such as belt loops. I didn't want to assume the OP was going hiking in sweats either, and assumed he would have belt loops. Thought maybe it was an REI gimmic to save weight or something. I'm still boggled by the concept of pants without belt loops...

I'm just going to say that belt loops are an awesome feature and I refuse to buy pants without them, with the exception of pajamas.

@druiseeker, since I have an idea of your size and physicality, I'd suggest you head to Silver Falls, start with the South falls loop, then do the South falls / ridge trail loop, then do Winter Falls to North Falls loop, and then get in the 7 falls loop. These all have significant up/down and build in distance. I'd recommend you don't bother packing for any of these hikes.
No worries about critter attacks because of the quantity of people, and except for the amorous couple shagging close to the trail, never seen anything remotely akin to sketchy people (and I would never call shagging in the woods "sketchy").
As your conditioning improves, the weight of your carry piece will matter less and less.
The only time I've ever wished I had my side-arm in the woods was with other humans. Strangest people I've ever met were in the woods.
I carry my 10mm on my hip or strapped to my multi-day pack shoulder straps. I am less concerned about needing that one, but like to have it handy at night for bears or humans. During hikes, my 6" blade is much more accessible to me in an inverted position or on my hip.
I believe you mentioned "dangerous animals." IMO, ALL wild animals are dangerous. Give them respect, deference and distance, and you'll be OK.
  • Bears - If your biggest worry is bears, bring a 10mm, 45 Super, 44 mag. Bears will avoid humans. If one is coming for you, you'd better have something that counts.
  • Snakes - use a walking stick that can serve as an ankus. The ones that didn't move already, I've just stepped around.
  • Cougars - you're never going to hear or see the one that goes for you.
  • Boars - a friend lost two brothers to boars while hunting them. I think they would avoid humans.
  • Moose - a bull will kick your bubblegum in a heartbeat if you threaten it. I've only encountered bulls on the water from a canoe. A cow and her young walked up to me once. They're curious with bad eye sight.
  • Coyotes - they just stand for a moment then move on quickly. Never been closer than 10m to one.
  • Wolves - have not encountered one yet.
The "answer" invariably devolves to the .338 Lapua Magnum.
yea, it was a short walkies.. carrying a .338 Lapua Magnum'll do that
Yah, I converted my old Nambu Type 94 to handle that round. The recoil was unmanageable.

The incidents have made me believe that if I need to defend myself, it'll probably be a surprise. I like 9mm and I'm willing to carry it even in the woods as long as I'm with another armed person. But I spend a lot of time by myself up in the mountains and while not the smartest thing, its what I enjoy. If I'm responding to a surprise attack, while alone, I hope that I'll have the chance to get at least 1 shot off before I'm killed. I want that 1 shot to effective. Even if the only real performance difference is psychological...
I can almost guarantee it will be a surprise.
Nothing wrong or stupid being alone in the mountains - I do it several times per year. Your biggest danger is injury like a badly twisted ankle or broken bones, which is why I bring a trauma kit, splints, etc - whether for use on myself or someone else. Last time I was up in Goat Rocks, fell on Old Snowy and tore some ligaments. Popped 4 ibuprofen, packed my sock with snow and hiked out anyway.
What I'm trying to say, is I think your fears about dangerous critters are overblown.

Sure, if you want to get really 'effin' stupid, go to Yellowstone, fish all day, wiping the fish on your shirt as you catch them, sleep in your clothes, and don't be surprised when that grizzly thinks you're the biggest rainbow it's ever snagged.

Walking/hiking has definitely helped me start loosing weight faster. I'm definitely getting more reward out if it than slugging it out on a treadmill.

Yeah, hypothermia kills most people around here. That and lack of a map and compass... some water proof matches are pretty useful, as much as a good fix blade knife.
Well worth the extra weight.

Tho, I would not consider that necessary along almost if Silver Falls. Beautiful area and minimal threat, unless you consider Korean and European tourists taking pictures a threat.

I'm usually more than prepared. Even for some really nasty weather. Navigation, warmth, water, food. If I somehow lost my pack, I'd be in a deep hole. With the type of hiking I can do right now due to poor current fitness levels, I'm fairly safe.

I dont know... my Hillpeoplegear chest pack is comfortable with a pack on.

I couldn't imagine backpacking with a 75lb pack, forget about the gun. I can go about 5 days with about a 30lb load, what in the world are you carrying?
so is my barcalounger but what about OP?! shame

Okay okay, the tone I assumed was off. I suppose I was just unaware that hiking pants lack suck a practical feature such as belt loops. I didn't want to assume the OP was going hiking in sweats either, and assumed he would have belt loops. Thought maybe it was an REI gimmic to save weight or something. I'm still boggled by the concept of pants without belt loops...

I'm just going to say that belt loops are an awesome feature and I refuse to buy pants without them, with the exception of pajamas.
It's not about weight at all, it's about the way a properly fitted pack will ride. Most of us assume that a pack belt should ride in about the same place as our pants belt (I did), until you have someone knowledgeable fit you for a pack. A properly fitted pack will ride just above a pants belt; so imagine what happens if you're wearing a pack belt and a sturdy leather belt- fat pinch! Seriously, even if you're thin it hurts. My hiking pants have a very thin belt that's built in to the pants (something has to keep them up!) but it's not going to support a handgun.

So I guess your view is in how you approach it. If you're a gun guy that hikes, or if you're a hiker that's also into guns. When I started hiking I did what most military people do; use what ya got. So I hiked in my cotton fatigue pants and a ruck. As time goes on, the hikes get longer and cover more severe terrain, you start replacing your free mil gear with expensive 'real' hiking and backpacking gear which is lighter and fast drying. Assuming the OP isn't military, I'm hoping to save him some money by directing him towards hiking gear.

b8e1156f-6eb1-4c2c-b8f6-c5e55226b23e.jpg

Most of the wife's stuff. LOL.

Hmmm, let's see... stove, fuel, wind screen, tent, sleeping bag, Quallofill quilt, 2 sleeping pads, bowls, pots, utensils, kitchen kit, spit kit, food, fishing gear, whisk broom, hand trowel, water, water filter, emergency kit, space blankets, warming packs, and an inflatable 1person boat. And a pistol on the belt, with some snakeshot loads and a bit of extra ammo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. :rolleyes:

You don't carry that stuff?o_O

Edit: extra socks, undies, raingear, gloves, etc.

Last Edited:
@druiseeker
Nothing wrong or stupid being alone in the mountains - I do it several times per year. Your biggest danger is injury like a badly twisted ankle or broken bones, which is why I bring a trauma kit, splints, etc - whether for use on myself or someone else. Last time I was up in Goat Rocks, fell on Old Snowy and tore some ligaments. Popped 4 ibuprofen, packed my sock with snow and hiked out anyway.

Cellphone!!!!

One year we were coming back on the 7Mile trail from the EOR high lakes down to the Lostine River Two Pan pack station. The last mile is very steep and my toes kept sliding into the front of my worn out boots. Not fun. I thought sure we were going to need someone to pack me out of there but we finally made it. Didn't have a phone anyway.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads