JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special is what I bought for hiking. It has about a 2 1/2 inch barrel so is good for both in city and out. A 240 grain bullet will stop most anything that you encounter around this area. Mine is stainless so less concerns about rusting.

View attachment 423237

Another vote here. Mine is blued but it has held up over scores of years. I figure it is going to be used it will be against meth heads, not critters.

IMG_0567.PNG Kenai chest holster is my next purchase for scouting hiking.

Another vote here. Mine is blued but it has held up over scores of years. I figure it is going to be used it will be against meth heads, not critters.
Not mine. I fed it some homehardcast 320gr SWC's that'd make an M-29 wince a few decades ago and it died pretty darn quick. Hey, I lived in Montana and actual grizzers so hey. Just a rattle/stretch job and nothing catastrophic though.
don't do that, lol
The terrible thing about the standard .44 special loads is they leave the barrel at about 700 fps.. which is pretty lame last I checked

Id say anyone worried about meth heads or violent people would not choose some monster revolver in some expensive caliber

I think that all of the suggestions are good ones, except the guy putting everyone down because his REI pants lack belt loops...
I just doubt that there is such a gun that fits the OP's desires perfectly, otherwise we would all have one and would suggest it.
The biggest dilemma in choosing a carry gun, weight and size vs capacity and caliber.

have you tried finding hiking pants with proper belt loops for a holster?
No, but I usually wear Levi's or Khakis, and have no trouble with either. I also see hiking as a means to get to whatever activity is at the end of the trail.
Hikers have something against belts, or what?

No, but I usually wear Levi's or Khakis, and have no trouble with either. I also see hiking as a means to get to whatever activity is at the end of the trail.
Hikers have something against belts, or what?
nothing against belts just that they don't make them for gunbelts, they make them for lightweight and maybe for pack waistbelts so they are often tiny for small thin nylon webbing belts or don't use them at all in place of elastics. They are out there but not a lot of options for hiking pants with normal belt loops. You wont find any hiking pants made with cotton, thats just a really bad idea to wear outdoors and can get you killed if you end up lost or injured or whatever for a length of time.

nothing against belts just that they don't make them for gunbelts, they make them for lightweight and maybe for pack waistbelts so they are often tiny for small thin nylon webbing belts or don't use them at all in place of elastics. They are out there but not a lot of options for hiking pants with normal belt loops. You wont find any hiking pants made with cotton, thats just a really bad idea to wear outdoors and can get you killed if you end up lost or injured or whatever for a length of time.
this is why my wheelbarrow is made out of wool

I'm telling you, get a cheap police trade in G22. Its a full pound less than a steel frame 1911 with twice the capacity. There is likely no other option out there that offers the variety of carry options as the Glock 17/22 frame.

You've been lead to water.
It's far easier to find a 40 than a 9 in the trade-in market.

It's far easier to find a 40 than a 9 in the trade-in market.

And they are cheap. Ammo is super available, and .40 is definitely adequate for any animal you'd encounter around here.

I had to shoot a large dog once as it was charging toward me. A single 180gr Gold Dot through the sternum did the job from a distance of about 5 feet. It did not exit and the dog was instantly incapacitated.

A5ABFC99-9FA1-49B5-9605-8221E3CAB0BD.jpeg I know most of you guys can't see anything east of I5 but snakes account for many more injuries in the west than Bear. We frequently carry this loaded with 410 Shot shells when out and about. 45LC/410 is very effective for most anything short of a mythical fire fight everyone seems to be preparing for. City people have a very strange view of what really goes on in the back country.

I know most of you guys can't see anything east of I5 but snakes account for many more injuries in the west than Bear. We frequently carry this loaded with 410 Shot shells when out and about. 45LC/410 is very effective for most anything short of a mythical fire fight everyone seems to be preparing for. City people have a very strange view of what really goes on in the back country.

Or back country folks have become naive tonwhat its like being in a city.

I lived in a small town in eastern WA for a few years and was amazed how friendly people were. Way too friendly, in my opinion.

ED135C41-49F9-48FB-B8CC-8C30C2627CB1.jpeg 21582A0B-8981-4B25-950C-7A87A8C5603D.jpeg
Or back country folks have become naive tonwhat its like being in a city.

I lived in a small town in eastern WA for a few years and was amazed how friendly people were. Way too friendly, in my opinion.
Why would we want to learn how demented and evil cities can be? So we can join in there misery? Here is a photo of an Idaho traffic jam and my front yard.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads