JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I missed the part in regards to brown bears as his concern, apologies!

Blacks? Pretty rare for a black bear to attack someone, let alone someone armed. IMHO.
The Russian Bear thread must have put the fright in him.
Seeing that Russian guy all torn up like that.
Prolly only hurts for a minute or so.
Even with a pea-shooter, your last chance is to shoot him right in the eye.

:D

It sounds like this thread is going the way of all the hiking carry threads- a lot of well meaning people, many of whom don't actually hike or backpack, offering poor advice.

Holsters: If the intent of the OP a casual stroll through a wooded area, then yes, holster options are many. If the intent is 'hiking' or 'backpacking' the holster options are fewer. First, it is a terrible idea to have anything lumpy between your pack belt/straps and you- this causes hot-spots that can be pure agony when you're hiking miles up and down steep terrain. So traditional belt holsters (requires a belt) and shoulder holsters are a poor choice. My REI hiking pants don't even have belt loops.

Gun: The OP has already stated a 1911 is too heavy, so why are people suggesting a 1911 or similar weight gun? You really don't need a combat loadout of 15 rounds and two back-up magazines to hike unless you believe that departing the paved surface will cause every animal in the forest to attack you, in which case you are better off staying in the city. Remember, there are thousands of hardcore hikers and backpackers crawling all over WA and OR who are completely unarmed, and they are not reporting problems. Yes, some of us prefer to carry for the same reasons we carry in town, but temper it with a dose of reality. Is your intent is to hike or backpack, or is your intent is to play commando by walking around a few hundred yards from your vehicle?

It sounds like this thread is going the way of all the hiking carry threads- a lot of well meaning people, many of whom don't actually hike or backpack, offering poor advice.

Holsters: If the intent of the OP a casual stroll through a wooded area, then yes, holster options are many. If the intent is 'hiking' or 'backpacking' the holster options are fewer. First, it is a terrible idea to have anything lumpy between your pack belt/straps and you- this causes hot-spots that can be pure agony when you're hiking miles up and down steep terrain. So traditional belt holsters (requires a belt) and shoulder holsters are a poor choice. My REI hiking pants don't even have belt loops.

Gun: The OP has already stated a 1911 is too heavy, so why are people suggesting a 1911 or similar weight gun? You really don't need a combat loadout of 15 rounds and two back-up magazines to hike unless you believe that departing the paved surface will cause every animal in the forest to attack you, in which case you are better off staying in the city. Remember, there are thousands of hardcore hikers and backpackers crawling all over WA and OR who are completely unarmed, and they are not reporting problems. Yes, some of us prefer to carry for the same reasons we carry in town, but temper it with a dose of reality. Is your intent is to hike or backpack, or is your intent is to play commando by walking around a few hundred yards from your vehicle?

Hmmm... If getting back in shape is the primary objective, maybe a couple old 1911s and half a dozen extra mags would elevate your uphill cardio by 20-25%.

More seriously... your caliber requirement might be determined by what sort of critters you expect to encounter. I'd carry a completely different piece in rural Canada or Alaska than I do around here.

Some parks, forests, trails have signage declaring that firearms are verboten. To avoid advertising too much, I hike in a light cotton outer shirt to shade my arms, and un-tucked to conceal what's on my belt (definitely outside the waistband for comfort and quick access). The shirt can be buttoned or not, and I tie it loosely around my waist when it comes off. No conflict either way with a small day pack.

Consider too that your wep might get more than a little sweaty, rained upon or exposed to salty ocean mist. Mine does frequently and I clean it accordingly.

Last Edited:
:confused: I am really confused but then I am old so my comprehensive skills in reading may be slacking. In the first post the guy describes himself as overweight with back pain but is walking and some hiking to lose some weight. He wants advice on a firearm to carry on his walks or hikes a fat boy might make :D His full size 1911 he says is too heavy so he wants ideas on what he could carry.

Where I get confused is how did his walks get to the mountain trails of Oregun.:confused:

I am a fatboy myself and walk most every day. I carry a fair sized walking stick to stop animal attacks and as a third leg so I don't trip and sprain a leg or break a wrist. My firearm is a tilt barrel 25 that fits my shirt pocket and holds 8 rounds. My phone is in the other shirt pocket. Should I have a bigger gun, well the last 11 years of walking I never needed the gun and hit one attacking dog with my stick. However anything close enough to hurt me that I need the 25 for will answer the question "is the 25 big enough for self defense"?:D

I have always been amused by guys that park as close to the door as they can to the the gym. Sort of seems like they should start there workout early and park out on the edge of the lot. 1911's work well as a carry gun because they are flat. I do like the lightweight (scandium?) Smith & Wesson 5 Shot 44 Magnum revolvers. I carry my 629 4" most of the time. It works everywhere it is tried. 44 Magnum shotshells are also very effective for small game if nessisary.

Glock in 10mm loaded with Underwood extreme penetrator ammo. In the woods I don't care about exit wounds and shoot throughs like I would in town. Know your backstop still applies, but dealing with 4 legged predators or Sasquatch, more penetration is better (que @Stomper and the out of context machine)

If weight is a concern a G29SF. A G20 fully loaded is similarly weighty to a 1911 with fewer rounds. My next pistol purchase is probably a G20 just for woods carry, as I can't justify the cost of the 10mm Sig 220 :D

If a belt holster is a no go, a shoulder holster is the next best thing. I prefer OWB hip carry when afield but my typical hikes are on river banks or trails into rivers / lakes and I may only put a few miles a day in. I carry a daypack afield most often not a huge backpack. Weighs between 20 & 30 lbs depending on loadout.

We don't have many brown bears in Oregon, and I have yet to ever encounter a black bear face to face. Big cats are my concern aside from meth cookers and general weirdos. 10mm should be fine there. If bears are a concern, carry bear spray too.

Glock in 10mm loaded with Underwood extreme penetrator ammo. In the woods I don't care about exit wounds and shoot throughs like I would in town. Know your backstop still applies, but dealing with 4 legged predators or Sasquatch, more penetration is better (que @Stomper and the out of context machine)

If weight is a concern a G29SF. A G20 fully loaded is similarly weighty to a 1911 with fewer rounds. My next pistol purchase is probably a G20 just for woods carry, as I can't justify the cost of the 10mm Sig 220 :D

If a belt holster is a no go, a shoulder holster is the next best thing. I prefer OWB hip carry when afield but my typical hikes are on river banks or trails into rivers / lakes and I may only put a few miles a day in. I carry a daypack afield most often not a huge backpack. Weighs between 20 & 30 lbs depending on loadout.

We don't have many brown bears in Oregon, and I have yet to ever encounter a black bear face to face. Big cats are my concern aside from meth cookers and general weirdos. 10mm should be fine there. If bears are a concern, carry bear spray too.
Don't have ANY Brown Bear in Oregon out of a zoo that aren't stuffed.

I have always been amused by guys that park as close to the door as they can to the the gym. Sort of seems like they should start there workout early and park out on the edge of the lot. 1911's work well as a carry gun because they are flat. I do like the lightweight (scandium?) Smith & Wesson 5 Shot 44 Magnum revolvers. I carry my 629 4" most of the time. It works everywhere it is tried. 44 Magnum shotshells are also very effective for small game if nessisary.

Just to clarify a couple of options, and their round capacity. ;)

25 oz. Six shot 329 scandium .44 magnum. Revolver.
Five shot all steel S&W .500 S&W revolver.

Last Edited:
Just to clarify a couple of options, and their round capacity. ;)

25 oz. Six shot 329 scandium .44 magnum. Revolver.
Five shot all steel S&W .500 S&W revolver.
Big hands, not recoil-shy and I will say the the Scandium is the most painful-to-shoot hand cannon that I have shot to date.
So, not much of a practice piece, IMO.
Shot a 500 S&W after that and it was a sweet shooter compared to the wickedly snappy Scandium.

Big hands, not recoil-shy and I will say the the Scandium is the most painful-to-shoot hand cannon that I have shot to date.
So, not much of a practice piece, IMO.
Shot a 500 S&W after that and it was a sweet shooter compared to the wickedly snappy Scandium.
I agree.......not a range pistol but if you need it........you will never feel the recoil. I prefer the 44 for several reasons not the least off the excellent shotshells available for it. We have used the shotshells for everything from snakes to rats to raccoons with good effect. Like most guns, if you are going to carry them more than shoot go with lightweight, if you are going to shoot more than carry go with a heavier gun.

You want to lose weight but are worried about weight and don't want to kill your fellow man via "over penetration" against grizzly bears. Check. imna take a walk

Ive done a lot of hiking and backpacking and can tell you @Mainsail has some good advice.

I'll add that animal attacks in Oregon are so very low on my list of concerns that a dedicated bear gun would not be my primary concern. Ive gone on many backcountry trips completely unarmed in fact where UL weight was the primary concern and never had a concern about animals. Despite being far away from the city I still think people are the biggest concern of violent attacks and for that a compact lightweight 9mm is just fine. That said, in my outdoor adventures I have seen plenty of black bear and been up very close and personal with 2 of them. Ive also surprised a large bobcat... cougars, I think I saw a tail once attached to a flash of fur. Ok, so attacks are rare but its not like they've never happened so whats the best defense against the extremely rare animal attack...? bear spray. Really. Ive shot and killed a black bear from a distance with a rifle and can tell you that if you don't hit a CNS shot up close and under stress your going to be fighting that pissed off bear with your hands in the matter of a few seconds. Bear spray should be your first response to an animal attack, and it works the same on any animal.

so your options are going to be based on your opinions but honestly for Oregon anything compact in the 9mm, 45, and 10mm is fine. A compact 9mm with a small can of bear spray is a great "UL" compromise to a large heavy dedicated bear gun. Better IMO is a compact 45 because they sell hardcast bullets that will offer better penetration in thick skinned bears (9mm is just fine for thin skinned cats...). 10mm is even better penetrating caliber especially in hardcast bullets, but the problem I find is the lack of options in compact 10mm guns, with the exception of Glock which is probably the best option in compact 10mm's.
(I hear Fusion Firearms will custom make you a commander or CCO 1911 in 10mm... if you have the money )

Holsters, get a chest rig if you carry a backpack or use a fanny pack carried up front. There aren't a lot of options if you carry a backpack, especially for concealment if that is also a concern for you if you hike in popular areas... get a Hill People Gear chest pack, I have one and it is awesome for hiking and being concealed.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top