JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a Tipton gun vise (base model) and it works great, for bolt guns. The AR platform is a different story. The Tipton Ultimate looks like it would be much more accommodating in that regard, but it's 3x the $. I don't care so much about that, but I'd like something that works well on handguns, ARs, break actions and bolt guns. I see there are other brands out there and wondering if the good folks here have any input.
Thanx

I do a decent amount of work on my own guns, everything from building my own to refurbishing old stuff to make it shootable again. I never found those dedicated "gun vices" to be all that useful. Usually they are just a "rest" more than a "vice" and are only really suitable for minor work and cleaning. For that kind of light duty work I prefer a regular table-top, or rest it against my chair for a more vertical orientation. If I need to do more work I use a ball vice or table vice with soft jaws. Those can actually hold onto the work piece with meaningful vigor, and the ball vice can be oriented in infinitely more useful ways than some some dedicated workstation.

Of course if you like those gun "vice" workstations more power to you. Everyone has different work preferences and none of them are really wrong (as long as you are safe of course). But do not make the mistake of thinking that just because someone makes a dedicated tool or workstation for a task that that methodology is necessary or even just better than alternatives. Sometimes it is just faff and bling designed to convince people of its necessity rather than possessing any genuine utility. I have found for many things that a simpler setup without all the specialty tools can often be far more useful and enjoyable than the alternatives.

Try looking into a decent general utility vice. A 4-6 inch model with a few adjustable axes and a good set of soft jaws should offer considerable utility, not just for firearms but for many other tasks as well.

Partly it depends on where you live, are you in an apartment or do you have a large detached work shop available?
But my priority would be for a large bench or floor mounted vise if you have the space.

Last Edited:
I have both an upper and lower reciever vice block for ARs, along with a medium bench vise and small desk vice. Here's a kit that has three different blocks, which should cover just about everything. I've never tried this one, but it's made by a reputable company.

edit:sp

Last Edited:
For cleaning and light maintenance at my desk I have started using a small 4" vice attached to a block of wood, and vice blocks for different guns. Some purchased and some 3D printed. When I need to change a barrel or something that requires more Umph I will head to the garage and use the same blocks (or MI reaction bars) in a bench mounted vice.

PXL_20230918_195042817.jpg PXL_20230918_195049078.jpg

I have both an upper and lower reciever vice block for ARs, along with a medium bench vise and small deck vice. Here's a kit that has three different blocks, which should cover just about everything. I've never tried this one, but it's made by a reputable company.

+1.

Buy the blocks and use a regular vise.

Thanx for the responses folks! I too have a B&D workmate and may use it for some projects. Also, will DEFINITELY get the AR Stoner set. The Tipton gun vise, however, is too handy, and portable to abandon. I rather like being able to use the kitchen table when mounting scopes, sights, etc.

This is not a gun vise per se. But oh man is it useful for all kinds of smaller stuff. And it's very high quality...

Get you a Panavise 350 combination base with a supplemental 303 head...and whatever else you think you need. :)

j-ea2W7a479iiPTtIFSvmQCCq6gkDNh4-Ty6zRMWU&usqp=CAc.jpg

61mh+wcSQ9L._SL1500_.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews