JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Happy .308 Day!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a .308 that would work as an all-purpose (hunting, defense, etc) rifle and is legal in WA (sadly that excludes most semi autos). Ideally I'd be aiming for 20" barrel and mag-fed, but open to suggestions. What would you recommend and why?

If I lived in Wa. and wanted just one rifle for both hunting and self defense id get a lever gun.
You might have to compromise on the caliber but I wouldnt be surprised if someone makes a modern one in 308.

If I lived in Wa. and wanted just one rifle for both hunting and self defense id get a lever gun.
You might have to compromise on the caliber but I wouldnt be surprised if someone makes a modern one in 308.
Henry Long Ranger and Browning BLR are the only two rimless lever actions I know of. Both use proprietary mags. But would certainly meet the OPs requirements.

I have a Henry single shot that is awesome. It can't fit the magazine requirement though.

A tikka T3x would be high on my list, but every major bolt-action manufacturer makes their offering in .308.

If you can find one, the Winchester model 88 is my pick for just about anything. 4 round magazines that can be carried in your pocket. I know they quit making them years ago but they are a wonderful fast handling rifle. A 22" barrel,,, but cutting off 2" is not a problem.

Buy the carbine Model 88 with a 19 inch barrel from the factory.

1709929502844.png

Bruce

What about something like this?

Unfortunately, I failed to grab an AR10 lower before the ban went into effect, so an AR10 bolt action upper wouldn't do me much good. I've been checking out the BLR, Winchester 88, and Henry Long Ranger. Really surprised by the cost of mags and lack of 10rd options, but those would definitely suit my needs. Anyone have experience with the Troy PAR 308?

Bond arms makes a lever action lower that fits any AR15 upper (ie caliber) and uses any AR15 magazine.

Henry just came out with a lever gun that also takes pmags.

the Mossberg patriot/scout is the only mag fed rifle I know of that can take a p-mag. It has up and down reviews for accuracy and jams. Used market had them at 150% markup but they had some for retail end of the year 2023 at 600$ … I'd wait for the Henry Supreme to make a .308. Patience grasshopper!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top