JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everything because if you remove the brace from the firearms in question, they are back to being pistols. Alternatively, if you put a 16" or longer barrel on these firearms, then they have the same status as a rifle. Ergo the Thompson Center Arms Contender rifle kit :rolleyes:
And if you put a rifled barrel on a shotgun, it's a rifle. I don't get what this has to do with whether braced pistols or pistol braces are common. The brace attached to the pistol is the question, just like a bump stock wouldn't matter until it is mounted to a firearm. Not the firearm itself.

Not according to the government :rolleyes: otherwise it'd require every 12ga rifled barreled slug shotgun to be registered as Destructive Devices due to having a rifled bore of greater than 0.50 inches :rolleyes:
pix841306819.jpg
H&R Combo.

Does it matter to my point about a shotgun becoming a rifle?
Yes. Was the combo marketed as a convertible rifle,.or a convertible shotgun?

"Once a Rifle, always a rifle".

"Pistol can get stock and rifle barrel no problem (TCA Contender), as long as not a NFA configuration".

The H&R combo.. weren't those marketed as "Handi-Rifles"?

From link, for "shotgun"

"Or a weapon readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell. " This means if you put in a rifled barrel on a shotgun. You still have a shotgun because it fires a fixed shotgun shell.

SBRs can be useful for several things, but as a general issue militia rifle or as a sporting arm for hunting, they really aren't that great - except for size. From that lens, it isn't such a stretch that the general public is not at a loss because they are being restricted to give more leverage against criminals.
I would argue the the general public is indeed at a loss for not being able to use SBRs, for several reasons:

1. Pistols are used far more in crimes than any other type of firearm. Labeling SBRs as something "criminals use" is a demonstrably false statement and prevents law abiding citizens from benefiting from that type of platform.

2. An SBR provides the advantage of maneuverability over a full length rifle. You can definitely clear a room with a 16" AR, but it's a lot easier to maneuver in close quarters with a shorter barrel on the weapon. Since most home defense situations happen in the home, with hallways, doorways, etc, a short barrel is a definite asset compared to a full-sized AR.

3. If we are legally able to own a rifle that can take down a threat (or animal) at 1000 yards, a 16" AR that can effectively reach out and touch someone at 500 yards, and a pistol or shotgun which is effective for most shooters within 25 yards, why would we NOT be allowed to use a weapon that is best suited at intermediate ranges? It makes no sense.

4. The biggest argument against SBRs is that they are easily concealed. That is both debatable and irrelevant. We are allowed to concealed carry in most states. Realistically there is little difference between a concealed G17 and a concealed Uzi or B&T TP9 or MP5 or Cz Scorpion. They all are semi auto, take 30 rd mags, and have similar barrel lengths. The only difference is a stock or brace on those firearms enables more accurate fire at greater distances.

**Edited to include...**
I will even go out on a limb and say strictly from the standpoint of engagement distance it is FAR MORE reasonable for a person to have an SBR than a full-sized rifle for home defense.

Last Edited:
@bradsteen brings up an excellent point regarding conceal carry.

At this point in time, more than half the States (27, 28?) Have permitless/Constitutional Carry of some form.

So it is another arrow against the notion of keeping SBR and SBS and AOWs in the NFA. The fact that one can now conceal carry pretty much whatever they want in whichever of the 27, 28 States they live in.... speaks to the obsolescence of the Short Barreled firearms and Any Other Weapons categories.

@bradsteen brings up an excellent point regarding conceal carry.

At this point in time, more than half the States (27, 28?) Have permitless/Constitutional Carry of some form.

So it is another arrow against the notion of keeping SBR and SBS and AOWs in the NFA. The fact that one can now conceal carry pretty much whatever they want in whichever of the 27, 28 States they live in.... speaks to the obsolescence of the Short Barreled firearms and Any Other Weapons categories.
It also speaks to the obsolescence of not having term limits for every elected public office.

It also speaks to the obsolescence of not having term limits for every elected public office.

Really wish they would have baked that into the system up front. Not a snowball's chance in hell of politicians willfully limiting their own power.
Unfortunately...
"U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 1995"

"U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779, is a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision in which the Court ruled that states cannot impose qualifications for prospective members of the U.S. Congress stricter than those the Constitution specifies"

Now; agreed if the Constitution had included permanent term limits for Congress, not just presidency; we wouldn't have this problem.

Or pin &weld to 16" or swap for 16" barrels
Right. There are multiple ways to comply with the law, most of which involve zero contact with any agency that records statistics.

And then there are all the people who causally bought a braced pistol and haven't even heard about what's gone on since.

How do you know how many people removed the brace?
You don't. And I don't want to know These numbers are the people who registered out of the estimated total number of braces or braced pistols sold. The AFT didn't report anyone turning in their braces or firearms, and I don't see a massive smoke cloud of burning plastic. Barrel manufacturers aren't suddenly selling out of 16" barrels either. However, FPC and GOA membership is growing. Draw whatever conclusions you want, but it does seem to point to the theory of mass non-compliance and a statement by the American public giving the middle finger to agency overreach.

You don't. And I don't want to know These numbers are the people who registered out of the estimated total number of braces or braced pistols sold.

Indeed.

The AFT didn't report anyone turning in their braces or firearms, and I don't see a massive smoke cloud of burning plastic.
well; hard tell from the vape and meth fueled fires and all the burning trash... ;)

Barrel manufacturers aren't suddenly selling out of 16" barrels either.
Speak for yourself, I've had a hard time finding certain barrels in stock :rolleyes: but then again. I wonder if a lot of people have already acquired 16"+ barrels for "projects" ... no way to track how many under 16" barrels are now are pin & welded to 16.1+" either..

However, FPC and GOA membership is growing. Draw whatever conclusions you want, but it does seem to point to the theory of mass non-compliance and a statement by the American public giving the middle finger to agency overreach.
Or mass laziness. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top