JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SBR's don't interest me. I don't want to have to get permission to leave a state with it. Guess I'm not doing an ar pistol after all..
AR pistols are still good, just get a pistol buffer tube that doesn't allow a brace and your GTG
Like this one

So if you have a pistol braced firearm in shipment right now to an FFL , how does this work ? Are FFLs starting today can't turn them over?
The rule becomes official 120 days after publication in the Federal Register. It has not yet been published.

EDIT... I'm going to rescind that statement.
ATF says "This rule is effective the date it is published in the Federal Register."

-E-

Last Edited:
I see it this way. If your sellout price to the gooberment is $200... go for it! It won't even be law until the end of the 120 days after it hits the registers and it's highly questionable if it has any legs to stand on against legal challenge.

If it falls... they got at least 4 months of frenzied owners running scared registered anyway and once it's an SBR... it will always be a regitered SBR. No take-back-sees. Voluntarily Registered/controlled not by law, but by choice.

If it stands... paying $200 isn't earth shattering and a person still retains the option of choosing to SBR or reconfiguring so it's never necessary to pay or register, anyway.

I'm not going to voluntarily allow gooberment control over my firearms until I'm forced to make a choice. They can go suck on their $200 "buy-out" offer, I'm a patient person and laying my bet that it falls.

I'm sure there are plenty that are just too attached to their pistols and won't give them up/reconfigure them for anything. Gooberment controlled and national registry be damned. They're IN! The beauty is that everyone is free to choose.

I see it this way. If your sellout price to the gooberment is $200... go for it! It won't even be law until the end of the 120 days after it hits the registers and it's highly questionable if it has any legs to stand on against legal challenge.

If it falls... they got at least 4 months of frenzied owners running scared registered anyway and once it's an SBR... it will always be a regitered SBR. No take-back-sees. Voluntarily Registered/controlled not by law, but by choice.

If it stands... paying $200 isn't earth shattering and a person still retains the option of choosing to SBR or reconfiguring so it's never necessary to pay or register, anyway.

I'm not going to voluntarily allow gooberment control over my firearms until I'm forced to make a choice. They can go suck on their $200 "buy-out" offer, I'm a patient person and laying my bet that it falls.

I'm sure there are plenty that are just too attached to their pistols and won't give them up/reconfigure them for anything. Gooberment controlled and national registry be damned. They're IN! The beauty is that everyone is free to choose.
Your filing for a free stamp or not filing for a free stamp doesn't change anything other than if you wait past 120 days you dont get a free stamp. You can pull a SBR off the registry any time you want. Its not a machinegun.

Free tax stamps, this could be interesting. Only a few million or tens of millions of braces out there. File now, get stamp in 2025.

I'm actually on the other side of this, free SBRs are fine. I get not wanting to register (they have your info anyways btw), but it would be nice to put a real stock on some of my ARs. I think it it is a great idea to take 5 lowers and just register them either way. Actually, come to think of it... time to fire up the 3D printer and register a bunch of them for free...

I bet it will fail too, but I think I will take advantage of this opportunity for unlimited free SBRs.

Just one? I thought it read as for each instance of taking out of state? Just seems a pain living in vancouver and shooting in oregon from time to time with friends/family.
If you are shooting at the same location every time, you can list that location and date range. Form 20's really are not that big of a deal. I submitted one (again) last week for my annual trip to the Black Rock desert in Nevada. I give a date range of Feb 1st- June 30th because I never know exactly when the weather will allow my trip and I literally list the address as "Black Rock Desert, NW Nevada".

-E-

Just one? I thought it read as for each instance of taking out of state? Just seems a pain living in vancouver and shooting in oregon from time to time with friends/family.
He's gotten away with it repeatedly, but that's not how the rule reads and only works if you only travel back and forth to a single location repeatedly throughout the year.

The fact that they don't pay close attention to what you put on the form and rubber stamp it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to fly with the authorities if it's ever brought under scrutiny.

Can't believe everything you read on the internet. 🤣

Free tax stamps, this could be interesting. Only a few million or tens of millions of braces out there. File now, get stamp in 2025.
Lol...I was thinking that as well. I sent a Form 1 in last month for a non-brace firearm. Hopefully it gets approved before the tidal wave hits.

-E-

they have your info anyways btw...
That may be true for you, and for many, but that doesn't apply to all... by a long shot. Many have never purchased from an FFL, many have PMF's, and many... even if you "are" already on their list... don't want to add addition red check marks next their names by adding more.

Threat assessments come from a point system. If confiscations ever occur.. they will go after those with the highest "threat assessment" scores. IE., the guy with 50 registered NFA's is going to get a lot more immediate attention than the guy with only one NICS check entry and that's his only NFA.

The "In for a penny, in for a pound" mentality, when it comes to gooverment controls, is somewhat flawed, IMHO. Minimize your footprint on their radar whenever possible, I say.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top