JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly the same way this brace rule played out. Except we will have a group of people with engraved SBRs and a group without engraved SBRs. Someone will start complaining or asking the AFT for clarification. Then, what was once legal will need a rule clarification and we will be having the same discussion about engravings and illegal SBRs...
sneetches on beaches.jpg

Correct! Sooo.. since the question was if it had to be engraved/serialized.... the answer would be?? :s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140:
Ok, now you're starting to even annoy me with the re-directs. :D

The question was if the SBR had to be engraved again with new information (the "maker", city, and state).

Here is how I think this goes down....maybe???

If the firearm came with a brace from the manufacture, then the manufacturer is the maker, and it's already stamped with their info. For example, if you buy a SiG Copperhead and it came with a brace from SIG, then SiG is the maker, and the existing manufacturer's data on the receiver meets the requirements. In that case, you don't need to add your name/trust name like you do with a normal Form 1 SBR.

If you bought a pistol and then you added the brace (i.e. you bought a HK SP5 as it came from the factory (as a pistol) with only the pistol endcap and then later you added a brace), you'll have to mark it with your name/trust like a normal Form 1 SBR. Not sure how they would police that, though. o_O

-E-

Last Edited:
I find this interesting on page 10 re: Factoring Criteria:

(4) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;

In other words, so many people probably said they would just take the brace off that the ATF just said "everything" gets SBR'd. A pistol is a pistol and an AR is an AR not a pistol.
I've said it before, the AFT will never be clear or direct. They will always leave themselves enough ambiguity to change the rules mid stream. From the beginning, they never clarified the surface area part of the rule...and now we see why.

Oh yeah. I submitted and it cleared but now it's showing as a draft and I cant bring it up. It's gonna get bad,.
This should be interesting to say the least. I'm waiting for the clearly fake submissions to pop up on Reddit. It would be fun to send a picture of a brace duct taped to a Glock pistol.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top