JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hiked much in Montana. My go to was the Ruger Single Six when I wanted blue grouse for dinner. Otherwise the Ruger Blackhawk in the weak and under powered .357. Seeing Grizzlies up close on occasion made me wish I had stayed home. I used a Bianchi shoulder holster and it carried well. I did kill a small bear and a mountain lion with it .Also grouse and deer. The previous threads mentioned the LCR. These shoot well enough to be used as a kit gun. My shot placement was best with the Single Six due to upgraded sights. It was less hike friendly than the Blackhawk. Now I have another great Smith and Wesson 686 plus with the tiny 4 inch barrel. I have a Simply Rugged holster for hip or cross draw. I am loading up some heavy ammo for shooting plates. The previous Blackhawk hit steel at 110 yards! I had a Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. I regret selling that one.

It is not fun to shoot with anything. I have shot 165 gr. Specials (Hornady defense loads) and it still is not fun to shoot. I would rather shoot my .460 magnum (so far, got some hot loads coming).

Weight is everything in recoil - both the gun and the projectile.

I have had the 329PD literally draw blood on my hands - small scratches - when shooting it. But no bruises yet. I had a Grendel .380 that bruised the web of my hand - between the thumb and forefinger.

But carrying, you don't even notice it is there. The .460V is like carrying a light rifle.

The bears in NE Oregon aren't all that big and almost a non factor unless you run across one that is too sick to get out of your way, old and cranky or young and stupid. Outside of accidentally getting between a sow and cub I'd worry more about Mountain Lion and have seen evidence of one tracking me while I was hunting. IMO a 357 magnum revolver is plenty for that area and gives you the option for snake shot. If you were in grizzley and above country I'd go with a 44 mag. 10mm or 41 mag would also be good for NE Oregon.

The bears in NE Oregon aren't all that big and almost a non factor unless you run across one that is too sick to get out of your way, old and cranky or young and stupid. Outside of accidentally getting between a sow and cub I'd worry more about Mountain Lion and have seen evidence of one tracking me while I was hunting. IMO a 357 magnum revolver is plenty for that area and gives you the option for snake shot. If you were in grizzley and above country I'd go with a 44 mag. 10mm or 41 mag would also be good for NE Oregon.
Yeabut what if you see an elk at 800 yards? lol

simple humor about similar threads of a soul wondering about a 100 yard/100lb deer gun and of course it goes there.. all neckbeard like

Capacity is not the issue, if and when you need to protect your life from a bear. You will be lucky to get off two shots (possibly 3), unless you are using a full auto. You better be a crack shot and moving away too; or the falling body (350-1000lbs) will be lying on top of you.:eek:

Ruger 1911 in 10 mm is out. I just checked their website and they did it.
MSRP $1019 Local store $813.
Same store has a Rock Island Tac II ( 8Rnd) 10 mm for $623.
I'm holding out for the Rock Island Rock in 16 round 10 mm( Model # 52009)
Glock 20 or 29 / 10mm light weight plenty of capacity

And take down power bear or cougar wolf
I would not like shooting 220 gr. 10 mm Buffalo Bore through the G29 My daughter has one and the 180 gr slapped my hand hard during the time I emptied the magazine at the range with her.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews