JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having spent most my seven decades in the woods from BC to California only once have I been squeezed enough by animals to consider packing armament to resolve the confrontation. While trail making for the forest service in the olallie lake area, (67 ish) it was at the end of a long dry summer following a grappy winter when the skinny black bears were hungry and aggressive towards campers or anyone with food. Even then, avoidance was possible. Actually, the yellow jackets were more problematic. many times though, have I come back to a trail head to find my, or another's car, ravaged or missing from the two legged vermin.
Sans grizzly's or the like, The most useful of guns for the trail (at least in the Oregon / Washington area) will produce camp meat. Rabbits, squirrels, grouse and the like make fine additions to dehydrated fare. I prefer my 9 shot 22 revolver (on the hip where handy, not in the pack) but the little ruger semi auto will do well also.
Practical and useful will ultimately overshadow 3 #'s of belt chafing paranoia when you finally retire and sit on the porch in retrospect and reverie.
I can still smell those grouse breast simmering in a wild onion gravy while I gazed down at the Imnaha river from Eagle cap area after a fun day boot skiing the dwindling glaciers.

Sounds like an argument for a medium small .357 Magnum. Use .38 wadcutters for small game, even shot loads if you feel the need for snake loads, then 125 JHP for two legged vermin, or 158 JHP for general defense.

Yup - an LCRx in .357 with a variety of loads would work in most of the continental US. Too bad Ruger doesn't make that model. They do make it in .38 Special that will take +P loads.

I already have my 329PD and a titanium Taurus Tracker in .357, or I would be shopping shopping for a lightweight .357 mag.

But as Thorborg mentioned, a .22 is a lot more practical and useful. Since I have lightweight revolvers in both centerfire and rimfire, I would probably carry both - that or my one pound Pack Rifle.

Yup - an LCRx in .357 with a variety of loads would work in most of the continental US. Too bad Ruger doesn't make that model. They do make it in .38 Special that will take +P loads.

I already have my 329PD and a titanium Taurus Tracker in .357, or I would be shopping shopping for a lightweight .357 mag.

But as Thorborg mentioned, a .22 is a lot more practical and useful. Since I have lightweight revolvers in both centerfire and rimfire, I would probably carry both - that or my one pound Pack Rifle.

Ruger lists an LCRx in .357 on their web site. I thought I saw one at the show in Hillsboro today but it may have been an LCR in 357. I didn't look all that close since I wasn't particularly interested in it.

elsie

My 329PD is very much a carry often shoot seldom kind of gun - solely due to the lack of mass vs. the power of the cartridge. Going to have it ported eventually - when I get a

View attachment 383366

Did you...... Get around to it?

If so did it change the pain any?

44 special loads pretty cool.
44 mag Buffalo Bore "reduced" velocity... forget about it...
Going to try to find a middle of the road recipie I can cook myself

Any good lightweight 22 cal revolver or semi. I now carry the Taurus TX 22. Sixteen in the mag and one in the tube, and your ready for the day in the woods or streets.If just doing a short walk,the Ultra lite 38 stubby will be more than enough. I hand load wadcutters for that task.Either is so light you don't notice your carrying.

What I need to do first is switch grips with my 460V and see how that works. Easier and cheaper than getting it ported.

But in my experience with ported guns, porting works - especially for muzzle flip.

I had a Glock 21, DW .44, Taurus .357 and a Taurus .44 that were ported and they all worked well.

On handguns, porting mostly helps with muzzle flip. A muzzle brake and better grips is what helps with recoil.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top