JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hiked much in Montana. My go to was the Ruger Single Six when I wanted blue grouse for dinner. Otherwise the Ruger Blackhawk in the weak and under powered .357. Seeing Grizzlies up close on occasion made me wish I had stayed home. I used a Bianchi shoulder holster and it carried well. I did kill a small bear and a mountain lion with it .Also grouse and deer. The previous threads mentioned the LCR. These shoot well enough to be used as a kit gun. My shot placement was best with the Single Six due to upgraded sights. It was less hike friendly than the Blackhawk. Now I have another great Smith and Wesson 686 plus with the tiny 4 inch barrel. I have a Simply Rugged holster for hip or cross draw. I am loading up some heavy ammo for shooting plates. The previous Blackhawk hit steel at 110 yards! I had a Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. I regret selling that one.

It is not fun to shoot with anything. I have shot 165 gr. Specials (Hornady defense loads) and it still is not fun to shoot. I would rather shoot my .460 magnum (so far, got some hot loads coming).

Weight is everything in recoil - both the gun and the projectile.

I have had the 329PD literally draw blood on my hands - small scratches - when shooting it. But no bruises yet. I had a Grendel .380 that bruised the web of my hand - between the thumb and forefinger.

But carrying, you don't even notice it is there. The .460V is like carrying a light rifle.

The bears in NE Oregon aren't all that big and almost a non factor unless you run across one that is too sick to get out of your way, old and cranky or young and stupid. Outside of accidentally getting between a sow and cub I'd worry more about Mountain Lion and have seen evidence of one tracking me while I was hunting. IMO a 357 magnum revolver is plenty for that area and gives you the option for snake shot. If you were in grizzley and above country I'd go with a 44 mag. 10mm or 41 mag would also be good for NE Oregon.

The bears in NE Oregon aren't all that big and almost a non factor unless you run across one that is too sick to get out of your way, old and cranky or young and stupid. Outside of accidentally getting between a sow and cub I'd worry more about Mountain Lion and have seen evidence of one tracking me while I was hunting. IMO a 357 magnum revolver is plenty for that area and gives you the option for snake shot. If you were in grizzley and above country I'd go with a 44 mag. 10mm or 41 mag would also be good for NE Oregon.
Yeabut what if you see an elk at 800 yards? lol

simple humor about similar threads of a soul wondering about a 100 yard/100lb deer gun and of course it goes there.. all neckbeard like

Capacity is not the issue, if and when you need to protect your life from a bear. You will be lucky to get off two shots (possibly 3), unless you are using a full auto. You better be a crack shot and moving away too; or the falling body (350-1000lbs) will be lying on top of you.:eek:

Ruger 1911 in 10 mm is out. I just checked their website and they did it.
MSRP $1019 Local store $813.
Same store has a Rock Island Tac II ( 8Rnd) 10 mm for $623.
I'm holding out for the Rock Island Rock in 16 round 10 mm( Model # 52009)
Glock 20 or 29 / 10mm light weight plenty of capacity

And take down power bear or cougar wolf
I would not like shooting 220 gr. 10 mm Buffalo Bore through the G29 My daughter has one and the 180 gr slapped my hand hard during the time I emptied the magazine at the range with her.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top