JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up my first AR15 today. I've been mostly an AK guy but had a strong itch to purchase an AR lately. I bought a DPMS Panther 0.223 A2 Tactical 16" from Crossroads Firearms (great, great, great place to purchase but that's a different story).

The build looks very sturdy and I got a quick, detailed tutorial on how to take apart and clean the rifle (Joe physically took it apart for me and pointed out every nook and cranny of the AR). Anyways, I don't even know where to get started. Knowing myself, i'm a binge buyer when it comes to accessories but I must hold back on temptations because I am just lucky I was able to make the AR purchase.

I've heard that AR15's require a lot of maintenance and what not but I am prepared for the tasks and tedious processes to come. I am very excited to finally add an AR to my collection and hopefully when the weather gets better i'll have time to actually "play".

Anyone else have the DPMS Panther A2 Tactical? Any reviews?

Also, what are the benefits of having a quad rail? Please excuse my laziness but I would indeed prefer the friendly interaction =).

I just built this one for my gal..

The quad rail (this one has the two piece hand guard that does not require R & R of a fixed front sight) is really nice for the following accessories..

Pistol grip (this one will get a 5 or 7 position folding grip)

Lasers

Light (This one will get a Procyon)

Longer optics such as a scope

LER scopes (Long Eye Relief scout types)

Magnifier for a holo sight on the receiver/holo on the hand guard

You can mask off the unwanted rail sections with rubber covers. This gun will eventually be a two tone dark earth/black and the rail covers will be dark earth. Allows for individuality so you can pick your gun out of a range rack full of similar ARs, and it breaks up the gun's outline a bit. The rear sight You can see it to the left) , buttstock and rail covers will all be dark earth. Add a dark earth P Mag for a pretty picture (good thing I did it and not the wife, it would have been pink with daffodils)

This carbine has folding BUS (back up sights) and I have an Eotech EXP3-2 compact holo coming, may add a magnifier later. This model has the quick detach base

Just picked up my first AR15 today. I've been mostly an AK guy but had a strong itch to purchase an AR lately. I bought a DPMS Panther 0.223 A2 Tactical 16" from Crossroads Firearms (great, great, great place to purchase but that's a different story).

The build looks very sturdy and I got a quick, detailed tutorial on how to take apart and clean the rifle (Joe physically took it apart for me and pointed out every nook and cranny of the AR). Anyways, I don't even know where to get started. Knowing myself, i'm a binge buyer when it comes to accessories but I must hold back on temptations because I am just lucky I was able to make the AR purchase.

I've heard that AR15's require a lot of maintenance and what not but I am prepared for the tasks and tedious processes to come. I am very excited to finally add an AR to my collection and hopefully when the weather gets better i'll have time to actually "play".

Also, what are the benefits of having a quad rail? Please excuse my laziness but I would indeed prefer the friendly interaction =).
Congrats.
Sounds like very good customer service.
Didn't know we had a black rifle shop up here, thanks.

A black rifle shop?
It's a term of endearment and not intended to evoke thoughts of evil doing.
It is specific to M16, AR15 and M4. The original weapon associated with the term was M16.
Black Rifle Book, The Black Rifle Book

Some gunshops may not cater to the Black Rifle, hence my previous comment.
Some traditional gunsmiths are not qualified to work on Black Rifles.

Edit:
"The original "Black Rifle" was the M16 in Vietnam. Nicknamed that by both the US troops and the Vietcong. There was a time that it and the M14 served side by side. It is easy to see how the name came about.

I just recently purchased an FN FAL and a friend referred to it as a black rifle. I didn't really classify it that way as I reserve the "Black Rifle" nickname for the M16. I suppose the AR's have cooped the name, and I guess that is acceptable. However an AR is not an M16. Period.

For example, an AK 47, or an SKS I would not consider "Black Rifles", although they fit the "assault weapon" definition. I would say all Black Rifles are probably "assault weapons" but not all "assault weapons" are black rifles.

I realize the M16 has morphed into the shorter version which I think has a different name as well as the .308 version. These rifles would be "Black Rifles" to me."

"The term "Black Gun" refers to the black finish on the AR. Other modern military guns have that black finish, too, but the term refers to the AR and its variants, mainly because it was the first gun with such a finish issued to a major military service. Thus you see books like The Black Rifle, about the AR's evolution and application. The popular press has hijacked the term to refer to any military style weapon with a black finish, but I don't believe that came from the shooting community. Rather it is another attempt to lump a bunch of guns into a general politically incorrect category."

So, the term has been bast[a]rdized by the press and modified by casual enthusiasts that don't know the history of the term.
For me, Black Rifle will always be a term reserved for the M16 family of weapons.

It's a term of endearment and not intended to evoke thoughts of evil doing.
It is specific to M16, AR15 and M4
Black Rifle Book, The Black Rifle Book

Some gunshops may not cater to the Black Rifle, hence my previous comment.
Some traditional gunsmiths are not qualified to work on Black Rifles.

Also refers to HK, FAL and several other "evil" black guns.. and any gunshop that does not sell such homeland security weapons is losing out on $$ big time. The term is an intentional mocking of anti gunner's absurd propaganda

I bought a DPMS 20" varminter for coyote hunting. It's been an excellent rifle. The trigger is typical AR heavy so I put a new trigger in it. AR's really don't take any more maintenance than any other rifle, it's just a different process is all. Once you're used to it they take less than 1/2 hour for a full strip and clean.

Down load a copy of the ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P manual. It has all you need to know about the care and feeding of your new rifle. Don't be concerned about the brand haters and kool aid drinkers. DPMS builds a good rifle, clean it and lube it and shoot the snot out of it.

^^ Thanks guys. I've been looking to purchase 2-3 more mags.

What are some good mags for the price to buy? I was looking at possibly some of the CProducts ones on 44mag.com since they're so cheap... What about PMags? $15 shipped.

^^ Thanks guys. I've been looking to purchase 2-3 more mags.

What are some good mags for the price to buy? I was looking at possibly some of the CProducts ones on 44mag.com since they're so cheap... What about PMags? $15 shipped.

C products are good mags.. they use a lot of different followers in different production runs so look around for what you really want.. I have them in red-orange followers, black followers and the gray 5.56 marked followers. High quality mags for the money. I am seeing them for $8 each now. P mags are nice to have but IMO they aren't worth 2 x the dough.The early window P mags had some falling apart issues too, so buy the latest production if you go that route

Be sure to buy 3 or 4 20 rders for prone shooting

You'll want to buy a dedicated AR cleaning system that will reach into the locking recess at the rear of the breach.
I've use steel TAPCO ($8) and Mag Pull P Mags. I'd rather pack the GI type mags as they fit into my web pouches much better and feed as well. I can live with out plastic dust caps and windows in my mags.

:s0162:

Forgot to add that with a magnifier (if we add one later) and the rear BUS it's very likely the Eotech will have to be mounted on the quad rail

lol nice writeup on your gun bud. I disagree with the magnifier hindering the rear buis. had no probs with my Eotech FTS mag/552.A65 with GG&G mad buis. and mounting the eotech to the quadrail is too far fwd imo. the front of the upper reciever, just before the rail worked best for me...to each his own I guess

my ole eotech setup...

THEMAGOTHERSIDEL3.jpg

3xMagFTS.jpg

ar15andusp40.jpg

3g.jpg

To the OP. No worries! AR15's aren't high maintence like the AK guys like to say. I have had both and either can shoot for a long time with minimal maintenance. I don't recomend never cleaning it but I would bet that most people that own them could shoot their AR their whole life w/o cleaning it. Obviously not the frequent user but most civilians could

Rally Soob.. yes, good points. I dunno for sure, will just have to try it both ways, the magnifier may also be on a quick release mount and not used on the gun that much. It's my gal's carbine and weight is at a premium since she's not all that big and strong. I'll post up when it happens. Right now I have to report that the barrel is defective and I'm about to remove it for a refund. Here's the thread about it:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/gu...15-single-shot-case-stuck-had-driven-out.html

I used some old LSA when breaking in my new AR and am now switching to Marine grade Lithium that I bought at a yard sale for 2 bucks for the upper, at least until mid winter

I use synthetic motor oil for most gun lubing. Synthetic does not completely migrate and that's one of it's keys to reduced wear.. it's there when you need it. For hot weather and rapid fire where the gun is going to get very hot (like full auto) the LSA is great stuff too and I have a bunch stowed away

I would not want to use grease in freezing weather..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top