JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pepper spray has been a part of my EDC for years. I've had occasion to use it in situations where I though it would be inappropriate to use my pistol. It was very effective. After reading about a dog attack, I thought it might be a good idea to bring up carrying pepper spray and start a family discussion about, but want some input first.

I like the idea. Whether age or personal beliefs, much of my family won't carry guns or other self-defense tools. I might have a shot at convincing some to carry pepper spray. I think it would give them something effective that's relatively non-offensive socially. It might also help foster a better mindset of situational awareness if they get in the habit of carrying it.

Good or bad? Ideas?

Pepper spray has been a part of my EDC for years. I've had occasion to use it in situations where I though it would be inappropriate to use my pistol. It was very effective. After reading about a dog attack, I thought it might be a good idea to bring up carrying pepper spray and start a family discussion about, but want some input first.

I like the idea. Whether age or personal beliefs, much of my family won't carry guns or other self-defense tools. I might have a shot at convincing some to carry pepper spray. I think it would give them something effective that's relatively non-offensive socially. It might also help foster a better mindset of situational awareness if they get in the habit of carrying it.

Good or bad? Ideas?
ANYTHING is better than nothing. If family will not carry a gun of course OC is better than dial a prayer. For dogs I have found OC to work extremely well. For people I have found it real hit and miss but again, choice of nothing or OC? Well of course OC. Now if anyone is a minor I'm not sure of the legalities. You may want to check on that.

I think it's a great idea. And I would personally go with either Sabre or Fox Labs (my fav).

Obviously if you have kids you'll want to give them the, "this is not a toy," lecture (depending on their age). And you'll need to weigh whether or not they should bring pepper spray to school and check the laws in your area on this and any age restrictions.

The Washington State Department of Corrections uses Def Tech (Defense Technologies). I have bought it for all my family members, even those who conceal carry. It can be found on Amazon for a reasonable price. I buy the same model all Correctional Officers carry on their duty belts, the MK 9 (Mark 9). Unlike many other OC (oleoresin capsicum) products that fail when spraying with the can turned upside down, the MK 9 has the OC contained in an inner bag and pressurized around all sides in the can so it will disperse regardless of the orientation of the canister.

I would advise training in small group settings before handing this over to friends and loved ones. Things to consider like disparity of effectiveness, indoor vs outdoor use, wind factors and secondary exposure. It's kinda fun to have everyone experience a secondary exposure to help prepare them for the reality of the product too.

I've had to use the Fox Labs 5.3 stuff several times. All on animals, thankfully. The funniest was when I cleared my house of a rodent problem. After traps and desiccants weren't working, I got pissed when I was kept from sleeping from sounds they were making. I drilled a couple holes in my drywall and sprayed into my house's frame. Emptied all the rodents out my house (as well as my dog and I). Never had a problem since.

"Here ya go little johnnie and suzie, daddy is giving you your container of chemical deterrent spray so when life's bullies hurl unkind words at you, just spray the gee-whiz out of them to teach them a lesson!"

Ya school administrators will enjoy those in your kiddies backpacks.

Really dad, this is the consolation to dealing with life instead of providing real world coping skills to your offspring?

I've had to use the Fox Labs 5.3 stuff several times. All on animals, thankfully. The funniest was when I cleared my house of a rodent problem. After traps and desiccants weren't working, I got pissed when I was kept from sleeping from sounds they were making. I drilled a couple holes in my drywall and sprayed into my house's frame. Emptied all the rodents out my house (as well as my dog and I). Never had a problem since.

Dang!! That's a good idea!! I have squirrels, the European non indigenous type that like to inhabit the crawl space in the eaves of my house. Don't want to poison them for fear of not being able to find and extricate the smelly decomposing carcasses afterwards.

Dang!! That's a good idea!! I have squirrels, the European non indigenous type that like to inhabit the crawl space in the eaves of my house. Don't want to poison them for fear of not being able to find and extricate the smelly decomposing carcasses afterwards.

Use with caution!!! I couldn't comfortably go inside for at least 45 minutes without hacking.

"Here ya go little johnnie and suzie, daddy is giving you your container of chemical deterrent spray so when life's bullies hurl unkind words at you, just spray the gee-whiz out of them to teach them a lesson!"

Really dad, this is the consolation to dealing with life instead of providing real world coping skills to your offspring?

There is a time for pepper spray. And there is a time for a handgun.

You can pretend there is not.
But try your ''Coping skills'' on an active school shooter and see how that works out for you. o_O

That's pretty funny. Just my way of coping, man.

I wouldn't give pepper spray to a minor - they are just as likely to mace themselves in the process and I would assume that is worse then being able to be clear headed.

Do you guys that give it to under 18's find that to not be true or is it a hope it works when the time comes kinda thing?

Very curious - I'd like to get my daughter a taser soon. She's 21 but wouldn't carry a gun and it could also impact her scholarships if she got caught with one.

Pepper spray?

Not that deadly compared to the rifles or shotguns that are in the hands of millions of young people out hunting every year.
Maybe some kids cant handle the responsibility. But I did out hunting alone as a child.

Good lord! It's a condiment. :s0073:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads