JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am almost 17 (14 days) and can be found with a can of pepper spray and a knife. I would say that as long as they know when and how to use it properly why not?

I wouldn't give pepper spray to a minor - they are just as likely to mace themselves in the process and I would assume that is worse then being able to be clear headed.

Do you guys that give it to under 18's find that to not be true or is it a hope it works when the time comes kinda thing?

Very curious - I'd like to get my daughter a taser soon. She's 21 but wouldn't carry a gun and it could also impact her scholarships if she got caught with one.

Every parent would of course have to decide when they feel a child is responsible enough. Our kids had access to a hand gun when in late teens at home. When I felt they were ready I would let them have the access to a gun box when Wife and I were going out. Of course they knew how to use it and I hoped when to do so. Nothing like listening to police calls of older kids at home calling 911 while some are trying to get into the home and they are hiding.
As for your Daughter Taser makes a nice compact unit now called Pulse that would fit her well. Jeremy was and may still be offering them, and you of course can buy them on line. The size makes them easy to carry and use. Of course limitation of one shot. I would give her OC and the Taser if she will carry both.

After reading about a dog attack, I thought it might be a good idea to bring up carrying pepper spray and start a family discussion about, but want some input first.
I might have a shot at convincing some to carry pepper spray.

Good or bad? Ideas?

Pepper spray would be better than nothing, but when trying to hit a rat with it I discovered that it is not easy to do - I was impressed at how useless it was and was happy I'd never needed it for self defense! :) Buy an extra or two, and let everyone take a few shots at targets; discuss how far to try to hit the target, legalities, etc.

The kind I had was one of the small hand-held types, don't remember the brand, but it looked like one of these:

<broken link removed>

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ray-16mceutrplctnprsnhua/16mceutrplctnprsnhua

This!
Wisest of statements:

:) Buy an extra or two, and let everyone take a few shots at targets; discuss how far to try to hit the target, legalities, etc.

like fire extinguishers or even guns, the duration is short, so one must have real time expectations for it to be effective, or it will be gone before you get the hang of it.

My parents had my sister and I carry pepper spray starting around 14 (if i remember right, a long time ago). They had us go through a course that Washington County Sheriff Office put on how to properly use it. Not sure if the Sheriffs office still offers that course.

Beer spray and a tomahawk - got it! I have an SOG tomahawk, but where do I get beer spray? Is that for peacefully distracting obstreperous panhandlers? It might be hard to convince the DA (or a jury) that you needed to light into somebody with a 'hawk.
--------------------
"Here ya go little johnnie and suzie, daddy is giving you your container of chemical deterrent spray so when life's bullies hurl unkind words at you, just spray the gee-whiz out of them to teach them a lesson!"

Ya school administrators will enjoy those in your kiddies backpacks.

Really dad, this is the consolation to dealing with life instead of providing real world coping skills to your offspring?

When our son had bully problems at school my wife told him to smack the little twerp with his lunch box. Worked just fine! Problem solved. My wife is a jewel. :D

Beer spray and a tomahawk - got it! I have an SOG tomahawk, but where do I get beer spray? Is that for peacefully distracting obstreperous panhandlers? It might be hard to convince the DA (or a jury) that you needed to light into somebody with a 'hawk.
--------------------
"Here ya go little johnnie and suzie, daddy is giving you your container of chemical deterrent spray so when life's bullies hurl unkind words at you, just spray the gee-whiz out of them to teach them a lesson!"

Ya school administrators will enjoy those in your kiddies backpacks.

Really dad, this is the consolation to dealing with life instead of providing real world coping skills to your offspring?

When our son had bully problems at school my wife told him to smack the little twerp with his lunch box. Worked just fine! Problem solved. My wife is a jewel. :D

About 98% of bullies when confronted back off.
I taught my kids wisely, told them you may get in a fight or too, might lose even, but tell the guy this right before the fight.
I said tell the bully, You might kick my arse, but I m going to hurt you really bad before its over. My son never had a fight,
every bully backed down with those simple words. My son is a big guy 6'2 about 270, he never has backed down yet, I think letting him know you might get hurt, but never ever let anyone make you the victim.
I got in allot of scraps as a kid never lost, but always felt bad about being forced to knock the snot outta someone.
Probably Mom and dads fault taking me to Kenpo, and Karate all those years as it taught respect, but also when not to be tolerant.
But for some reason I have a real problem with weak people and whiners, can't tolerate it. oh sorry TMI lol
almost made this political.:rolleyes:

To my understanding, unused pepper sprays, especially the tiny ones, lose some aerosol oomph over time and should be replaced every year or two. No problem since they're not terribly expensive.

In that case, it's a good idea to set up a target (like a paper plate with eyes and a nose drawn on it), and let family practice grabbing and deploying the old ones in order to experience that trigger "safety," and see the spray pattern, distance, duration, effects of breeze, etc.

Hopefully, they'll never need to use the new one for real. But if they do, it's something they've done at least once before.

Last Edited:
My kids are grown, but I still got pepper spray for all of them who live around here. Decided to do that when I saw the video of the woman trapped in her car during one of the Portland riots.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top