JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello,

I think that you have been reloading since the early 70's? Same as my MT husband?

If I am wrong, please forgive me getting you mixed up with another poster on this forum.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate
I am not as experienced as he is - I only began in the mid-70s. Back when we worried about losing our guns.

I'm shooting more often but less ammo. It's easier now, since l moved.
When l lived in Portland, a range trip was an event... pack up a bunch of ammo, guns, fill the tank, a couple of water bottles, maybe a sammich. Had to make those trips worthwhile so I'd spend almost the whole day shooting.
Now l can just pop by my buddy's range and bust a few then get on with my day.
I do worry about replacing the ammo l use, but I'm keeping an eye on supply so l don't get myself into a desperate situation.

I could shoot right here at home, but it bothers the sled dogs. But since the F&S Club range is only 4.5 miles away it's not a big issue to run up there. And since we have windmills on club land, the wind farm guys keep all the roads and parking areas plowed out in the winter. :D

How many of you are still shooting?
I used to run between 2K and 4K rounds a month, then I packed up and moved. Barely shot at all for a while and, as luck would have it, just started to hit the range again about the time things went full riot panic. Still shooting some, less than before I moved, more than before I unpacked.

How do we score that?

Uh, maybe some people were prepared and actually had stocked up?

I'm good 'til about 2026 at my normal rate; I'm still shooting my ARs and standard-capacity 9mm's with no restraint.

I just feel bad for the new gun-owners who might be having trouble finding ammo. We need to be growing our shooting culture right now. But, I'm trying to do my part by providing ammo to those in need.
I have tried to get other shooters to do as I have done for a long time. Told them figure about what you would "want" to have for a year if you could not buy any more ammo. Then double that. Keep that, buy more as you use. Guessing from the sounds of it few ever take this advice :s0092:
I understand the newbies just joined the fun of shooting. I never get the people who have been shooting for decades who act shocked and angered at every panic shortage as if they had not seen a few by now :confused:

First, I am surrounded by folks that insist the agenda of the new administration was never to impact firearms ownership in any way. Then, as late as this week, I've been called by folks that are blown away to discover there is precious little supply of ammo or guns in the store. Then they ask if I have any guns or ammo for sale.o_O

I'll help them if they have none, but I cannot be their supplier when they could have done it for themselves.

In the meantime, I shoot at will. And I'm labeled a hoarder.:s0115:

I have tried to get other shooters to do as I have done for a long time. Told them figure about what you would "want" to have for a year if you could not buy any more ammo. Then double that. Keep that, buy more as you use. Guessing from the sounds of it few ever take this advice :s0092:
I understand the newbies just joined the fun of shooting. I never get the people who have been shooting for decades who act shocked and angered at every panic shortage as if they had not seen a few by now :confused:
:s0101: Some people never learn and those are the ones I will not help out if they come begging for ammo. I can just go outside the house and shoot if I feel the need so a range trip isnt a major event like most. Shooting alone is boring unless there is a live target so I dont usually burn up much ammo. I learned long ago to have a supply on hand along with reloading supplies and have plenty for years to come. My future grandkids kids will most likely still be shooting the rimfire I have stashed away. I have a large stash of rimfire cause ya cant reload that stuff (easily anyway) and it doesnt take up much room and was bought cheap.

45 has become my standard choice which I never used to shoot

Kinda the opposite for me. I have tons of 9mm, probably won't be able to shoot it all in any reasonable amount of time. .45 ACP, on the other hand, I quit reloading for it and sold my remaining supplies. But I still have stacks of .45 ammo to fire off. After that's gone, I'll get rid of my last .45 automatic.

I have a large stash of rimfire cause ya cant reload that stuff (easily anyway) and it doesnt take up much room

Same here.

I still shoot a couple of times a week. Ammo is more expensive than last year, yes. But life is not all about money. I love to shoot, and I pay more if ammo cost's more. It's not something I have any influence over.
The negativity some people have about current ammo prices is a drag. Holding resentment in your heart is unhealthy.
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome! Go out and shoot. Isn't that what this forum is about?

I make my ammo to shoot, lately. I am shooting the weirder stuff more as if I am basing it on what i want to shoot, it is a different animal than grabbing a case of 1000 9mm. Hello 50ae, 300 bo, m1 carbine, 327 federal and .22tcm!

It isn't about " Ammo is more expensive than last year". It is about THERE IS NO AMMO OUT THRERE!
If you think you can shoot the same rate as before and simply pay more, then you haven't been paying attention.

It isn't about " Ammo is more expensive than last year". It is about THERE IS NO AMMO OUT THRERE!
If you think you can shoot the same rate as before and simply pay more, then you haven't been paying attention.
Well, the calibers I shoot are available - 22LR, 9mm, 10mm, .40, .308, .30-06, 300WM.
Perhaps there is a shortage of caliber I do not shoot.

I am thoroughly embarrassed I did not stock up more. I was planning to stockpile before the election then the coof took me by suprise.

Those saying they have enough to last 2-6 years. How many thousands of rounds do you go through a year?

The last 4 years I shot probably 20k rounds total. No way I could have all that stored. I mean I could fit it, but I couldn't spend 6k on "extra" ammo when already spending a 2-3k a year on ammo.

Are you guys popping off 100-200 rounds once a month and calling that it?

Some people aren't catching the clue that there isn't any ammo. My last 3-4 trips in the last month, including snow, it's been hard to find a spot. Even during week days. So what gives? I've actually shot more times recently but used less ammo. Is that the deal? People just shooting less? One thing I notice is bigger groups of people in one sport than usual. A lot more females than what I would normally see as well. I believe my wife said for the first time, I want to shoot my gun as opposed to, do you want to go shooting. Can't let that go unrewarded.

Just a week ago or so I couldn't find a spot to shoot and a couple was nice enough to share their space. I've been keeping it to a few boxes per caliber. Testing a pesky 7.62x39 AR15, 40 rounds at a time. I've been lucky enough more or less to replace what I've been shooting. How many of you are still shooting?
I went to the local outdoor range at the local state park a few days ago. I was there 3 hours or so Shot maybe 500 rounds of my 15K or so. Sighting in stuff and working through issues with some of my problem kids. No one there.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top