JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some people aren't catching the clue that there isn't any ammo. My last 3-4 trips in the last month, including snow, it's been hard to find a spot. Even during week days. So what gives? I've actually shot more times recently but used less ammo. Is that the deal? People just shooting less? One thing I notice is bigger groups of people in one sport than usual. A lot more females than what I would normally see as well. I believe my wife said for the first time, I want to shoot my gun as opposed to, do you want to go shooting. Can't let that go unrewarded.

Just a week ago or so I couldn't find a spot to shoot and a couple was nice enough to share their space. I've been keeping it to a few boxes per caliber. Testing a pesky 7.62x39 AR15, 40 rounds at a time. I've been lucky enough more or less to replace what I've been shooting. How many of you are still shooting?

I have always preferred to shoot by myself or with as small a group as I can manage. And since I shoot almost nothing but bolt rifles, 20-40 rounds per session has been the norm for years. I can manage that for many years to come.

I have always preferred to shoot by myself or with as small a group as I can manage. And since I shoot almost nothing but bolt rifles, 20-40 rounds per session has been the norm for years. I can manage that for many years to come.

We're in the same bolt boat. My shot count goes up dramatically as the cartridge decreases in size.

P

Some people aren't catching the clue that there isn't any ammo.
Uh, maybe some people were prepared and actually had stocked up?

I'm good 'til about 2026 at my normal rate; I'm still shooting my ARs and standard-capacity 9mm's with no restraint.

I just feel bad for the new gun-owners who might be having trouble finding ammo. We need to be growing our shooting culture right now. But, I'm trying to do my part by providing ammo to those in need.

If i change nothing I can go a couple years without buying ammo. If I just cut down a little I can go 3 or 4. But this won't last that long. By 2022 there will be ammo on the shelf. It may not be priced like we want but there will be some. DR

Lately weather has kept me from shooting quite as often as I like. Which isn't as often as I used to. When I get out there, I find at my age that after a couple of hours of alternating between shooting and putzing around, I'm ready to shove off. When I get home, Mrs. Merkt will ask me, "Did you have fun?" My usual response now is, "I did it until I got tired of it." When I was a teenager to 20 something, I could go and enjoy it for a full weekend. When surplus ammo was a nickel a round and money was scarcer. I've got lots of ammo now, ditto reloading stuff. In fact, I discovered I had too much stuff so I made some of it go away. I've still got plenty. Before the famine, I realized that sometimes I'd just shoot off a couple hundred rounds of rifle ammo because I knew I had plenty. Which hasn't stopped when I do go shooting, but now I'm cognizant of it.

If the current famine ever does end, I doubt I will increase supplies again. I'm old now and all things come to an end. Maybe even age-related transportation issues will become a factor. Who knows for sure.

My MT husband still shoots on a regular basis but he has been shooting LESS rounds per session in RF and in CF firearms for a couple of months now.

He went shooting in the snow and BITTER COLD two times this week instead of several times per week which he has been doing all of this time.

He did practice shooing one of his conceal carry pistols. This time instead of shooting his 45acp pistol - he shot his pocket carry 22lr pistol. He shot 50 some rounds or so out of that one.

The time before that he shot up some of his reloaded 30-30 Win ammunition.

He has 10 rounds left out of that one small batch and he will reload some more.

He does NOT reload 'tons' of ammunition at one time. He has not done that for some time now!

It is TOO much to have at one time especially since he does not compete any longer.

Plus trying to MOVE IT all if we do move one final time (Weight!) or have to move it due to a weather related mess aka FIRE or whatever.

He still has a BIT of more expensive factory ammunition in 45acp (He is not touching that.) and a BIT of factory ammunition in 30-30 Win PLUS reloaded ammo for ALL of his calibers.

He is still reloading:

45acp

30-30 Win

30-06

45-70

Plus he has 22lr and 22wmr ammunition.

I have my small amount of 22lr and 22wmr ammunition for my last 2 firearms too.
Two CZ bolt action rifles.

CZ 457 Lux | CZ-USA (cz-usa.com)

I keep up my skills and safety issues but I do not shoot as often or as much as I used to shoot.

My husband and I are NO longer high volume shooters. NOT for some time now.

We sold some of our EXTRA 22lr ammunition to a friend.

He sold some of his EXTRA reloading supplies at his cost last year too.

Plus my husband is still GIFTING some once fired factory brass of his and some other brass to a friend too.

These are items that he said that he would NOT need, due to his age and OUR changed shooting habits, and he does not regret selling and/or gifting them too. Newer stock too. NOT old stock and kept in excellent/clean/dry/climate controlled conditions.

I spoke to one of our range people the other day and whenever they start training some kids and adults at our range when it gets much warmer outside... I am going to gift them some 22lr for the next new group of NEWBIES too.

I will try to be there but if I can't be there due to a 'bad day' of mine - my husband will try to help out.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Shooting is a perishable skill and dry practice, while useful can only take you so far. You need to practice with live ammo.

My use of 9mm has gone to near zero despite being the most plentiful centerfire cartridge I own as well as the most common chambering in my safe. 45 has become my standard choice which I never used to shoot as much and, other than .357 Sig, is my least plentiful. Then there's the .50 BMG which joined the safe this summer and got a 50 round workout last weekend. The only cartridge that hasn't changed at all is good ol .22lr. Usually goes every range trip so I can keep shooting until I'm "done" at a reasonable cost, even when the centerfire ammo I brought is shot up.

My wife has also started asking to go to practice with her two pistols, a Sig P238 and a Sig P365. I've been buying ammo on a regular basis so even with this shortage, we're doing fine. If I find some for a good price, I replenish what we've shot.

Some people aren't catching the clue that there isn't any ammo. My last 3-4 trips in the last month, including snow, it's been hard to find a spot. Even during week days. So what gives? I've actually shot more times recently but used less ammo. Is that the deal? People just shooting less? One thing I notice is bigger groups of people in one sport than usual. A lot more females than what I would normally see as well. I believe my wife said for the first time, I want to shoot my gun as opposed to, do you want to go shooting. Can't let that go unrewarded.

Just a week ago or so I couldn't find a spot to shoot and a couple was nice enough to share their space. I've been keeping it to a few boxes per caliber. Testing a pesky 7.62x39 AR15, 40 rounds at a time. I've been lucky enough more or less to replace what I've been shooting. How many of you are still shooting?

Why do you think there is an ammo shortage? Plenty of ammo being made just
More People shooting,
More People Hoarding
More People Scalping.

There is only a shortage if you have to go to the store. I have my own store, which I have dutifully stocked for decades. Age has to have some benefit.

The only caliber I can't find is .41 Action Express - but that's because they haven't made any in 25 years. You think your ammo is expensive? I'm gonna wait those GunBroker stiffs out and buy from their widows.

There is only a shortage if you have to go to the store. I have my own store, which I have dutifully stocked for decades. Age has to have some benefit.

The only caliber I can't find is .41 Action Express - but that's because they haven't made any in 25 years. You think your ammo is expensive? I'm gonna wait those GunBroker stiffs out and buy from their widows.

Hello,

I think that you have been reloading since the early 70's? Same as my MT husband?

If I am wrong, please forgive me getting you mixed up with another poster on this forum.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

Our range has been pretty dead from what my husband tells me.

He usually does NOT shoot on the weekend so that may be a factor.

His retired friends have not been out there lately.

Some days, the entire place is empty. Other days, he may see 3 to 5 cars/trucks there.

Good shooting to you and your wife!

Take care.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR