JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
pawnshops, good or bad? i wonder how many people have never bought anything from a pawnshop and why not.? most of the pawnshops i frequent have in normal times several hundred guns if not more along with ammo and other gun stuff. many of the small towns i have been to would not have a gunshop if not for the pawnshop. i would like to know all opinion on this subject.

pawnshops, good or bad? i wonder how many people have never bought anything from a pawnshop and why not.? most of the pawnshops i frequent have in normal times several hundred guns if not more along with ammo and other gun stuff. many of the small towns i have been to would not have a gunshop if not for the pawnshop. i would like to know all opinion on this subject.

Hey guy,

I feel like the Pawn shop experience depends entirely on the Pawn shop. I have purchased 2 pistols and an AR from my local Pawn Shop at fair market value; but I have also been to Pawn shops that were terrible, both in price and service. It's subjective.
So, how do you find a good one? Get a reference from a friend or someone in this site; there is probably > 10,000 years combined experience with buying firearms at Pawn Shops on here.
Also, read the reviews left online, these can be helpful too. And depending where you're located, I could certainly recommend a Pawn shop that wouldn't make your skin crawl.
Good luck my man!

Just like everything in life, there's no blanket "good or bad" for all pawn shops. It's completely dependent on the individual shop and who's doing the buying at the gun counter.

I use a pawn shop in Marysville for all my transfers. They are gun people, fast, efficient and the price is fair. I've never bought anything directly from the shop as I just haven't seen anything that I wanted.

For the most part, pawnshops are there with making money as their absolute #1 priority. It there's no money in it, they won't deal with it.

Hey guy,

I feel like the Pawn shop experience depends entirely on the Pawn shop. I have purchased 2 pistols and an AR from my local Pawn Shop at fair market value; but I have also been to Pawn shops that were terrible, both in price and service. It's subjective.
So, how do you find a good one? Get a reference from a friend or someone in this site; there is probably > 10,000 years combined experience with buying firearms at Pawn Shops on here.
Also, read the reviews left online, these can be helpful too. And depending where you're located, I could certainly recommend a Pawn shop that wouldn't make your skin crawl.
Good luck my man!
yes there are some seedy pawn shops, i avoid those.... pawnshop crawl is one of my hobbies, in my travels {retired truck driver} i have visited many. some of the finest gunshops i have seen were also pawnshops.

Some of the gambling towns (Reno, Carson City) used to have great pawn shops. I remember walking in and seeing massive shelves of Dewalt construction tools, one bay after another. But ebay came along and the pawn shops offerings went way, way down. No longer could I find the stuff I was looking for. Now the prices are very close to retail prices and there's no longer a reason to go to the pawnshops for me.

Pawn shops are great.

*You have to know what you're buying.
price, condition, risks. Know the action, know about possible breakages, rust..etc.

*You have to make an appearance at your local shops enough to where they know you'll spend money. If you come in making demands, you'll get told to pound sand. I picked up a new mini 14 last summer for $400 plus BGC.
They know Ill be back as I buy little things every 1-2 months.

*Learn their names and be friendly. Lots of aspy type people in this world have terrible, sour or crass personalities. The emotionless brick wall types or incredibly socially unaware types bad social manners that feel entitled to things.. People dont like that, their prices and willingness to haggle will be based upon this.

It is always worth it to stop into a pawn shop once a month, maybe every two months. Some real cool stuff comes through.

I used to visit pawn shops a lot and did pretty good on the deals. For me it's who is behind the counter. Too often it's a young person with no knowledge and unable to make a deal.

Shop owners know what they paid and what they can sell for. If they are behind the counter then a deal can be made.

Pawn shops are great.

*You have to know what you're buying.
price, condition, risks. Know the action, know about possible breakages, rust..etc.

*You have to make an appearance at your local shops enough to where they know you'll spend money. If you come in making demands, you'll get told to pound sand. I picked up a new mini 14 last summer for $400 plus BGC.
They know Ill be back as I buy little things every 1-2 months.

*Learn their names and be friendly. Lots of aspy type people in this world have terrible, sour or crass personalities. The emotionless brick wall types or incredibly socially unaware types bad social manners that feel entitled to things.. People dont like that, their prices and willingness to haggle will be based upon this.

It is always worth it to stop into a pawn shop once a month, maybe every two months. Some real cool stuff comes through.

Sound advice, totally agree with you.

The few I actually looked for guns at were all grossly overpriced. Granted, I haven't been to many, but these were various locations in several different states. All of them "meh". I guess luck of the draw, but haven't bothered in a long time.

I have purchased a handful of firearms from a couple different pawnshops at or below market value. I enjoy checking the inventory of tools, outdoor equipment and guns. The shops I go to are pretty low key and not seedy at all. That being said I have not seen much in the way of firearm inventory in a couple of years and when they have had anything of note it is not exactly reasonably priced, at least in my frame of reference. Definitely not for the new gun buyer. As stated above, you must have good knowledge of what you are looking at and a good idea what it is realistically worth. I still have fun looking and have found a few tools to buy in the last couple years.

I have purchased a handful of firearms from a couple different pawnshops at or below market value. I enjoy checking the inventory of tools, outdoor equipment and guns. The shops I go to are pretty low key and not seedy at all. That being said I have not seen much in the way of firearm inventory in a couple of years and when they have had anything of note it is not exactly reasonably priced, at least in my frame of reference. Definitely not for the new gun buyer. As stated above, you must have good knowledge of what you are looking at and a good idea what it is realistically worth. I still have fun looking and have found a few tools to buy in the last couple years.
exactly right inventory is way low because of the panic, too bad. ammo prices at most pawn shops are off the chart, i have to LOL every time i look. but good buys are still out there if you get lucky

geometry.jpg

So many sides to the pawn shop game.

Even the worst of them have given up the occasional gem . Guns, knives, tools, leather, small electronics, ammo, coins, lowbrow art, well over %80 of my long gun soft cases ($5-$10 a pop).

I've been burned occasionally, but overall my pawn shop purchases have been great values. Some stuff I've bought so cheap, I could literally afford to just give it away after I was done using it ( $50 chainsaw, twice).

Getting to know the crew is definitely the key to getting the good stuff. Always paying for your purchase in cash is the language spoken in their world. Showing up at the end of the month with a few hundred bucks, or maybe even a grand is going to put you on the map after a few consistent visits. I'd rather have managment get to know me well enough to get a heads up when something good is about to hit the sales floor, than just get offered a discount. In other words, first peek is more valuable to me than saving a couple twenties.

Always watch out for the stand by question "Well? what do you think it's worth?" big time trap for sellers...
The person you are trying to pawn it to wants to gauge how much you know about the item. be careful a lot of individuals will take advantage of your potential ignorance and give you less then the item is worth... :confused:

I buy at money market pawn all the time!!!! 1000% great, bought at Santiam buyers, worst experience ever, sold me a complete lemon...
So they are really hit or miss

Usually over priced. Some good prices but not sure of quality. I sold a bolt rifle to a local pawn shop and got a surprisingly good deal. It was lightly used but dirty. They still took it.

I've bought from Gun Broker as well, so really no difference. So far I've never got burnt on a trash gun. Luckily my temptations have fallen off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top