JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at my favorite local pawn / gun shop this past week. While I was in there, the owner was telling the story of a firearm transaction that turned up a stolen gun. Warshington state venue applies to this story.

Here in WA, we now have the 10 working day waiting period. The background checks are now all done by the WA State Patrol. What the dealer said was, now that the WSP is doing all the BGC's, they also routinely run the firearm serial number against the national list of stolen guns. If a gun is stolen and the transfer is being done in accordance with the law, this will come out. Which means, more stolen guns are going to be intercepted and returned to their proper owners.

Under the previous protocol for BGC, I don't think this was being done on a universal state basis. There were some municipalities that had ordinances requiring dealer holds being placed on guns taken in, and during that time the city was supposed to run a check on the gun to see if it was stolen. But most places around the state did not have this screening system. The BGC was done through the NICS, no SN check there, and I doubt 4473's were being screened by anyone; maybe a BATF audit item for spot checks but I really don't know. Prior to the recent changes in the law here, there was a WA state form to fill out for handguns (and later semi-auto rifles), in addition to the 4473. That one went in to the Dept. of Licensing, but I've no idea if there was any step there for checking serial numbers. I'm thinking, probably not. For many years, they had a years-long back-up of paperwork just entering the basic data against the "applicant."

Pawn shops are supposed to hold ALL items they purchase ,or acquire through loan default. I think the period is 30 days ,but don't know for sure. This time allows for stolen property ( not just guns) to be identified and maybe recovered by the lawful owners.
In this particular case, it was the WSP firearm background check that caught the gun. I think maybe it was a transfer coming in from out of state, because I heard some discussion about who was going to pay what fees that had been incurred. Plus, the gun needed to be transported back to the jurisdiction where it was stolen.
I don't know how effective those dealer holds on general mdse. at pawn shops are, other than firearms or maybe some big ticket item. I just don't see local authorities having the manpower to check them out.

Interesting they actually spent the resources to run SN checks and wonder if it was at the pawn shops request or what(?) Most states have a hotline where individuals and/or FFL's can request a SN check free of charge.

From the sounds of the above though... WSP is running NCIC checks in tandem with a BGC(?) PP transfers... someone's gonna have some s'plaining to do.

In the past, and likely still current(?), OR's FICS... just like NICS checks, only contain info on individuals and aren't linked to LEDS or NCIC. I say, "in the past" because it only seem like a matter of time before those databases 'are' linked, but dunno what the current state of affairs is.

Most states have a hotline where individuals and/or FFL's can request a SN check free of charge.
They do?

I believe there are "hot lines" to assist in reporting stolen guns, but I'm not aware of such for requesting a stolen firearm SN check.

Years ago, one of my neighbors was a sheriff's deputy. I asked him about this. He said, "I can run a number for you, but if it comes back bad, I have to take the gun."

They do?

I believe there are "hot lines" to assist in reporting stolen guns, but I'm not aware of such for requesting a stolen firearm SN check.

Years ago, one of my neighbors was a sheriff's deputy. I asked him about this. He said, "I can run a number for you, but if it comes back bad, I have to take the gun."
It used to be....

In WA you call the WA State patrol to do a stolen/crime gun check.

In OR you call the OSP Firearms unit: 1-800-432-5059

I would imagine calling the stolen firearm reporting hotline would get you in the right department and they could either do it or get you transferred to someone who does. OR: 503-585-6245

Last I heard it was still a free service. It's been a few years though and even the phone numbers may have changed(??)

It used to be....
There is nothing like that here in WA.

Just for kicks, I Googled the question and one of the Youtubes I watched was giving out bad information.

In OR you call the OSP Firearms unit: 1-800-432-5059
Here is a quote from a post on NWFA about 10 years ago:

"This sounds good in theory but falls apart in practice, case in point, I was interested in a pistol and got the serial number from the seller in advance of meeting. I decided to check it out before meeting so I call and it goes like this "I'd like to check a pistol serial number please", "what is the address of the pistol?"," I don't know, I'm calling to check on it before I meet the seller", "without the address I can't check the serial number because if it's stolen the police need the address to pick up the pistol", "so you're telling me I can't find out if it's stolen until I arrange to meet the seller and call back with the time of the meeting and the address?" "That's correct", "thanks (for nothing!), click". :s0054: Gary"

As I said, the above is ten years old. But it goes along with what my neighbor the deputy said about once they find out it's hot, they want it.

i hate asking, but did it happen to be a Glock 27?
Sorry, I don't know what specific weapon was involved.

Here is a quote from a post on NWFA about 10 years ago:
Like I said, it's been awhile since I used it, but I was never asked for any identifying info. (Name, address, etc.). Might depend on who you're talking to... if they don't mind being bothered or another does and being anal about it(?) :D

I'm quite sure if it does come back as stolen/crime gun they are gonna wanna come after it and would need it's current location as a follow-up. Failure to give it, I would imagine they would be back tracking the number you're calling from and paying a visit... if they can make the time in their busy schedules.;)

I dunno.

I searched and found the thread you mentioned. Just below that post was...

Call your local PD or Sherriffs front desk. With the SPD the call always goes
"Hello I was wondering if you could run a serial on a gun for me"
"maker and serial?'
"blah blah"
'not reported stolen'
"thanks"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show