JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What we have witnessed the past week has been a genuine "Run on the Bank" caused by rabid talk about banning guns.

While there is lots of "talk" about banning certain weapons, the reality is that it has not happened. And in my humble opinion, nor will it ever happen. As of today, there are simply not enough votes in either the Senate or the House to pass a ban. You can thank the Tea Party for that! Also, no executive order banning a specific product from ownership would stand up to legal challenges in the wake of the Supreme Court Heller decision. It is unlikely a new AWB would even stand up to legal challenges because of heller. The NRA came out today and is firmly in the corner of greater security in our schools, where the focus should be actually. No conservative member of our government has come out in favor of a gun ban. Only liberal fascists, in government and in the media, are rabidly proposing a ban. They know they have to try to gin up as much emotion as they can now in order to have a snowball's chance at getting anything done. As time passes, and people move on and begin to focus on other things, the emotions fade. Republicans still control the house. Heck, they were unable to pass a legislation to stave off economic ruin of the country, and you think a new Assault Weapons Ban is going to fly through Congress?

Manufacturers have not stopped making rifles, and there are plenty of the guns coming down the pipeline. Dealers are busy ordering more guns to sell. What's the point of being a dealer if you can't have anything to sell?

I would understand all this panic buying if a ban were just enacted, or if manufacturers suddenly announced they are no longer making a particular model of gun. But that simply has not happened, nor will it happen. Next month, as more guns are delivered to dealers, and stores like Cabelas and Wal-Mart builds back up their stocks, you will see the same pricing and availability as before all the panic buying started.

Thank you.

Also, no executive order banning a specific product from ownership would stand up to legal challenges in the wake of the Supreme Court Heller decision. It is unlikely a new AWB would even stand up to legal challenges because of heller. .

Heller was a 5-4 decision. Two of the (conservative) supreme court justices are 76 years old. If Obama gets to pick another one you can bet there will be a reversal on that decision.

It is unbelievably difficult to reverse a Supreme Court decision. Conservative judges have been in the Majority since Reagan and Roe v. Wade has not been overturned. I know many people are scared and paranoid, but take a look at the facts, and try to leave the emotion out of it.

Heller was a 5-4 decision. Two of the (conservative) supreme court justices are 76 years old. If Obama gets to pick another one you can bet there will be a reversal on that decision.

What we have witnessed the past week has been a genuine "Run on the Bank" caused by rabid talk about banning guns.

While there is lots of "talk" about banning certain weapons, the reality is that it has not happened. And in my humble opinion, nor will it ever happen. As of today, there are simply not enough votes in either the Senate or the House to pass a ban. You can thank the Tea Party for that! Also, no executive order banning a specific product from ownership would stand up to legal challenges in the wake of the Supreme Court Heller decision. It is unlikely a new AWB would even stand up to legal challenges because of heller. The NRA came out today and is firmly in the corner of greater security in our schools, where the focus should be actually. No conservative member of our government has come out in favor of a gun ban. Only liberal fascists, in government and in the media, are rabidly proposing a ban. They know they have to try to gin up as much emotion as they can now in order to have a snowball's chance at getting anything done. As time passes, and people move on and begin to focus on other things, the emotions fade. Republicans still control the house. Heck, they were unable to pass a legislation to stave off economic ruin of the country, and you think a new Assault Weapons Ban is going to fly through Congress?

Manufacturers have not stopped making rifles, and there are plenty of the guns coming down the pipeline. Dealers are busy ordering more guns to sell. What's the point of being a dealer if you can't have anything to sell?

I would understand all this panic buying if a ban were just enacted, or if manufacturers suddenly announced they are no longer making a particular model of gun. But that simply has not happened, nor will it happen. Next month, as more guns are delivered to dealers, and stores like Cabelas and Wal-Mart builds back up their stocks, you will see the same pricing and availability as before all the panic buying started.

Thank you.
If the demand is there........
I would think that if the manufacture has a place to sell their products, they may hire the workers to produce the product. I would hope so. If my memory is ok, I think the 1994 Gun Ban caused the manufactures to operate 24/7 until the effective date of the ban.

Pritor to Chief Justics Sotomayor was confirmed she stated that gun rights was the law of the land and once she was confirmed she reversed that decision. They will say what ever it takes to get them in and then reverse their opinion. Too many things have happend for me to not believe that it cannot happen. I think back to the many pages in the health care, those that were voting on it did not even know what was in it. So don't believe that it cant happen too many things have happend that said could not. Remember a gun is a tool an inanimate object it can be used for evil or good.

Pritor to Chief Justics Sotomayor was confirmed she stated that gun rights was the law of the land and once she was confirmed she reversed that decision. They will say what ever it takes to get them in and then reverse their opinion. Too many things have happend for me to not believe that it cannot happen. I think back to the many pages in the health care, those that were voting on it did not even know what was in it. So don't believe that it cant happen too many things have happend that said could not. Remember a gun is a tool an inanimate object it can be used for evil or good.

It seems like a very simple choice to me. If you are a person who believes that your gun rights can go away quickly, that the NRA, Republicans, manufacturers etc.. are simply going to roll over and allow the democrats to ram through more gun control laws, then the only logical thing for you do is stock up on as many guns, mags, and ammo as you can afford, and pay the high prices people are asking today. Some people see their rifles as lottery tickets, and I am sure they will very much appreciate you giving them a price that is 2 or 3 times what they paid for it.

Or, if you are like me, and try to see the situation as it really is, by waiting another 30 to 60 days for more rifles to be delivered from the manufacturers, you will see gun dealers have more inventory to sell. I am sure some at the gun shows will still be asking high prices, but large retailers like Cabela's or Wal-Mart can't jack up their prices easily and remain competitive. And large retailers will be the first ones to have more guns in inventory simply because of the sheer amount of guns they purchase from their distributors. Also, the January 2013 Shot Show in Las Vegas is where many smaller dealers of guns will be meeting with their distributors to order more guns. The distributors set the pricing to the dealers and very well could raise their prices to the smaller dealers because of all the frenzied buying in December. I mean if people are willing to pay higher prices, the distributors and dealers will charge a higher price.

Yesterday I placed an order for a couple of more Colt AR-15's. My dealer told me to expect them by early to mid January, and has told me to expect the same retail price they were on 12/13.

"It is unlikely a new AWB would even stand up to legal challenges because of heller."

Hmmm, then why doesn't someone in California or the other states challenge their state laws under Heller?

Same with executive orders, if Obama reclassifed them as destructive devices, you might need to fork over $200 per gun. USAS-12 and Street Sweeper anyone?

It takes money to fight the government in court. Who is going to pay for that? Donated to the NRA lately? :(

I think the reality is that we will be lucky if just the old ban version is passed, but I'm a pessimist... :)

IMHO, mags and bulk ammo are in definite jeapordy. It happened before and it was the exact same catylist that did it. We are a long, long way from an AWB or a gun roundup. That being said, I agree with the OP, there will be a frenzy, followed by a lull. When they start making announcements mid-January we will see a frenzy again. In the meantime, buy it if you want to, but you'll pay way too much for it. And I'll gladly buy it back for half when you decide you didn't really need it anyway.

Seems to me that a lot of the folks telling others to 'chill' already have theirs.
Curious why the OP needs a 'couple more' ARs if they aren't concerned about the future.

Not stocking up. Giving the rifles as gifts to my son and daughter. Were suppossed to be Christmas gifts, but the panic buying thwarted my plan to buy them just before the holiday. I feel no need to stock up on anything. There will be plenty of availability in a month or so.

Then by all means buy everything you can afford and buy it now for whatever price you can. It's a free country, and these are just my opinions. I personally won't make purchases based on fears of what "might" happen.

"It is unlikely a new AWB would even stand up to legal challenges because of heller."

Hmmm, then why doesn't someone in California or the other states challenge their state laws under Heller?

Same with executive orders, if Obama reclassifed them as destructive devices, you might need to fork over $200 per gun. USAS-12 and Street Sweeper anyone?

It takes money to fight the government in court. Who is going to pay for that? Donated to the NRA lately? :(

I think the reality is that we will be lucky if just the old ban version is passed, but I'm a pessimist... :)

Not stocking up. Giving the rifles as gifts to my son and daughter. I feel no need to stock up on anything. There will be plenty of availability in a month or so.

I think you are right, I also think that most are buying through dealers right now, and I think in my opinion is a bad idea.
If they ban Ak, SKS etc, they sure who know who bought theirs last at Cabella, Walmart, Biamart ext.

I just have a semi-aut0 22 savage with size 10 clips I bought at Walmart, just my plinker nothing else ;)

I think you are right, I also think that most are buying through dealers right now, and I think in my opinion is a bad idea.
If they ban Ak, SKS etc, they sure who know who bought theirs last at Cabella, Walmart, Biamart ext.)

IMO, There is no legal means that our Government can use to come after peoples guns. The only way it would be remotely possible would be for our country to turn into a dictatorship, and even then people would be fighting all over the country and lots of folks would die. The government is simply not efficient enough to even try to collect all that data. It would take thousands of more government employees, billions of dollars, and years to collect all the dealer info. You are giving the government way too much credit.....

I am trying to get a Ar-10, and another Ar-15, but I was getting them anyways. I have to wait longer now thanks to people freaking out. But in my opinion i agree with the OP. Nothing will happen. 1.) because of D.C. vs Heller. 2.) We're already in dire economic straights... Ever since they lifted the 1994 ban the assult weapon industry has been booming. Look at how many companies just make assault weapons or import them. Half the gun stores that are open would go under if not for Aw's. Hell there are some stores that only sell AR's!

So to sum it up, Democrats know what happened last time they did this.... and now you add the bad economy and loosing a lot of jobs and one of the few industries that are booming. They know it would ruin their party. They don't care about active shooters and such. They just need to make it look like they care. What they really care about is keeping the Democratic party where they want it.

Last Edited:
Probably going to see hard to get items for the next 6 months, or longer. Retailers predict how much they will sell to the manufacturers, and they build to that plus some kind of cushion factor. None of them could predict the run on gun sales based upon current events. Manufacturers will have to increase their run times and amounts on these items in manufacturing to fill retail orders and then the speculative sales projections.

Sales and distribution channels are no problem. It is the lag time between the manufacturing runs and distribution that will bottle neck everything up.

Get this

I just saw a real actual preban stripped OLy SGW lower receiver the same one that went for a $600-800 during the real actual ban the type of receiver that is selling right now with no ban for $600-800

and guess what the price was........

wait for it ...............

$50 thats right $50 on a local private board it was not in the best shape but functional

so remember folks its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it and if someone is willing to pay it well thats what its worth its called market value , let those with money spend it and when they run out prices will come down no point in ranting that wont make it go away only time will.

So pull up a seat open a cold one and kick back and enjoy the ride.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top