JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a Rust-Oleum primer product and it's an adhesion promoter which helps the paint adhere to the pores of the surface, not just the surface areas especially on plastics.

251572_AU_11oz_AutomotiveAdhesionPromoter_Clear_L.png

I have cerakoted more guns then I can count and I bet 90% of what I spray are AR's, including my own. I have had dozens and dozens of rattle can jobs come in for fixing. They look good at first but then they get wet or sit in the sun too long or something. On an AR or a shooter (not collectible) a good cerakote job will not (should not) detract from the value, however, a bad rattle can job will. Durakote seems to be the go to DYI and some of the ones I have seen looked pretty decent. My advice, if you are only doing one or two guns then take it in and pay someone to do it. If you plan on doing a bunch of guns over the months or years then invest in your own setup and plan on a learning curve just like with anything :)

How much does it cost to cerakote ak47 ( receiver barrel handguard, top cover ?

Meh......Krylon camo FTW.

Mess it up? Respray
Scratch it up? Respray
Tired of the color scheme? Respray
Tired of the whole paint thing? Acetone wipes it off.

You can paint it eleventy billion times for the cost of duracote...

Any other vote for this. Krylon. When and if the paint starts to wear off in places only adds to the effect.

Not the greatest picture but this was my 1st paint job done 25-28 years ago using Arborvitae leaves and spray cans .

Attachments

• 20200601_161806.jpg
    20200601_161806.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 158
Pffft, just rattle can them- mask off, or cram paper towel into the bits you don't want paint on, then throw them on some cardboard on your garage floor and have at it.I just wanted to break up the shapes...
4X $6 cans of krylon Camo from Fred Meyer and some dead grass from the garden have done 6 rifles so far-
if it scratches and you care, 15 mins and another 50c of spray and no one can tell...
If you don't like the way it's turning out, just give it a different layer.
I tried Rustoleum, but I like the super matte finish of the Krylon a bit better.

IMG_9571.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG IMG_9595.JPG

I painted my PSA AR pistol back in late 2015. I don't use it a lot but the finish has held up well. Cleaning solvent doesn't really get on the finish too much. That one was very inexpensive so I had nothing to lose. That was Rustoleum paint from Walmart. Nofhing fancy but only attempt so far. 20201115_190340.jpg

Spray paint over cerekote. Plus in my opinion spray paint just looks better.

Some of you have done some really nice home jobs. Props.

I've seen some of the work Matt @ TGB Customs has done for others, and some of those are flat out beautiful.

Clean off spray till your inner artist comes out ! I did a base coat wrapped it is fish netting and did three colors on top and was hell fun ! Spray with brake cleaner and all comes off wash off any oils and repeat bets $20 I have spent in a while .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top