JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys wondering have any of you done some custom paint jobs on your AR-15's and magazines? What kind of paint? Where do you get your patterns or do you make them yourself? Would it be more worth it to find someone who does cerakote?

Personally, I'd be hitting my cerakote guy up. Cerakote is going to be a lot more durable and resistant to oils and gun cleaning chemicals. However, if you don't care about the finish getting scratched up or coming off, you could paint it yourself.

Meh......Krylon camo FTW.

Mess it up? Respray
Scratch it up? Respray
Tired of the color scheme? Respray
Tired of the whole paint thing? Acetone wipes it off.

You can paint it eleventy billion times for the cost of duracote...

Meh......Krylon camo FTW.

Mess it up? Respray
Scratch it up? Respray
Tired of the color scheme? Respray
Tired of the whole paint thing? Acetone wipes it off.

You can paint it eleventy billion times for the cost of duracote...

I have a 10/22 that I used some left over Plastic-Cote auto touch up paint from an auto parts store to do the barrel. It's been on there over twenty years now and still
looks pretty good.

8200C06B-664A-4481-BEFE-4CDFC9FD1A8F.jpeg

@LuckySG did my Daniel Defense in "Noveske Bazooka Green," and really brought it back to life. Broken up solid patterns are a good alternative to camo. Battleworn as well. He's getting into camo patterns though.

ive had 1 rifle cerakoted. i dig it.

guys at my work that work in the body and paint shop paint their guns afterhours with PPG automotive paint.looks good and its tough too.

hey guys wondering have any of you done some custom paint jobs on your AR-15's and magazines? What kind of paint? Where do you get your patterns or do you make them yourself? Would it be more worth it to find someone who does cerakote?
Two magical words for not doing it yourself - plausible deniability. You get what you pay for and someone else's time. Lots of folk try their hand at it and if you are not happy try again or seek help.

Best of luck in your project, there are many supporting vendors of this forum that do Cerakote very well and are happy to assist.

Jeremy

It depends on if you ever want to sell it, or its going to be a battle gun you try to wear out.

If you rattle can a gun it May not be worth the price of the paint you put on it, but then again professionally painted guns aren't worth what you put into it

I have cerakoted more guns then I can count and I bet 90% of what I spray are AR's, including my own. I have had dozens and dozens of rattle can jobs come in for fixing. They look good at first but then they get wet or sit in the sun too long or something. On an AR or a shooter (not collectible) a good cerakote job will not (should not) detract from the value, however, a bad rattle can job will. Durakote seems to be the go to DYI and some of the ones I have seen looked pretty decent. My advice, if you are only doing one or two guns then take it in and pay someone to do it. If you plan on doing a bunch of guns over the months or years then invest in your own setup and plan on a learning curve just like with anything :)

I have cerakoted more guns then I can count and I bet 90% of what I spray are AR's, including my own. I have had dozens and dozens of rattle can jobs come in for fixing. They look good at first but then they get wet or sit in the sun too long or something. On an AR or a shooter (not collectible) a good cerakote job will not (should not) detract from the value, however, a bad rattle can job will. Durakote seems to be the go to DYI and some of the ones I have seen looked pretty decent. My advice, if you are only doing one or two guns then take it in and pay someone to do it. If you plan on doing a bunch of guns over the months or years then invest in your own setup and plan on a learning curve just like with anything :)
Great advice.

What is your average cost? I'm looking at doing a 10.5" AR pistol done.

I'm part of the spray paint club. I'm not one to consider mine show pieces. They are toys / tools and although I have no interest to paint a pistol. I do prefer pairing the black scary rifles a different color. When I'm out and about, I like a more naturally toned rifle color. Doesn't have to be camp, but not strait black.

The ones I've done myself tend to take a Atacs foliage pattern. It's fun if you get into it and are patient with the spray pattern.

I have one that I painted tan 8 years ago, the paints held up well, the parts that gets the most friction get it rubbed off, but that comes from using it to target shoot/compete. Paying for a battle worm finish is like buying jeans with holes in them or frayed hats.

A bad "paint" job means that rifle will forever be yours.

Some people like me don't like Krylon paint jobs and wouldn't take one if you paid me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top