JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm building a Willys CJ-2A it will have an insulated aluminum hard top. The rig is being built for some long distance travel and adventuring.

You may not know this but a Willys Jeep is TINY. 57" wide with about 48" long not including the narrowing space in front of the seats. SO fitting a rifle into one is a challenge especially if a person wants it pretty much out of sight. So i got to thinking about over head options and wondered what if anything short of the things that look like someone strapped a gun rack to the ceiling and used velcro straps to hold the rifle in anyone has used.

The rifle I will most likely be carrying is a Winchester Model 1894 in 30-30 with a 16 1/4" barrel A trapper if you will. A very short very narrow rifle.

Google "great-day-center-lok-overhead-gun-rack". They might be just what you need. One point of advice is to make sure you mount it so you're not banging your head all the time.... But the overhead mount makes a great way to haul your rifles, they are out of sight and handy when you need them

Interesting problem! I also have a CJ2A but I carry long guns in scabbards on the hood, NOT something you prolly want to do in Or! Still, I would consider under the rear seat ( if you have one) or a dash/under dash mounted scabbard!

As always, post pictures, love seeing your CJ Project!:D

My JK has room just behind front seats for a transversely mounted locking metal tool box gleefully scavenged off a WW2 generator setup mounted on old Bantam ammo trailer. I can carry *-* under 42" long....fits just ahead of rear wheel housings & lateral sides of JK tub. (perhaps greater length than CJ2?)

Agreed with using an UTV overhead gun rack. Do make sure you get the heights just right if it'll have a roll bar/cage on which the roof would be put. I did see another option made by cutting and shaping a wood door with cardboard sandwich construction, to become a gun rack with gun shaped cutouts in it and it was positioned behind a seatback, but that makes sense if you're doing a bench seat back on the CJ jeep :rolleyes:

Google "great-day-center-lok-overhead-gun-rack". They might be just what you need. One point of advice is to make sure you mount it so you're not banging your head all the time.... But the overhead mount makes a great way to haul your rifles, they are out of sight and handy when you need them

Nice product, but in an accident, would the guns come loose and hurt the vehicle occupants? Probably be good for lower-speed off road use though.

I'd try the box behind the seat described by 41mag, or perhaps a setup similar to the shotgun rack used in police cars (is vertical storage of tube-fed gun safe in a vehicle?).

Cabela's has several other options:
Vehicle Gun Storage Racks & Overhead Truck Gun Racks

Good luck!

My dad carried a Universal M1 carbine in this Jeep. He had a cup for the butt stock on the floor beside the right rear of the Drivers seat. Then up the seat frame a ways a wide clip like holder that the forestock fit into. He then had a setup that fit into the end of the barrel and extended down to the cup on the floor that came apart in two pieces with a lock in the middle.

I am thinking I will go with what would basically be a tight fitting storage box incorporated in the rear ceiling. As I plan to have 1" of insulation in the ceiling of the Hard top it would only extend down another say 3/4" to fit the rifle some thin padding and the lid of the box. This way it would allow me to lock the rifle up completely out of site. And for those commie states that require a firearm be locked up when transported I would have that covered. I just have to figure out where to put it so it can be accessed from the front seat. If possible. The rear hatch of the top is going to have the hinge at the top and with the Tire and gas can swing on the back it would be much nicer to be able to reach it from the front of the rig. And crawling around in a Willys is not something anyone but a skinny 17-18 year old should try. Certainly not a 62 year beat up fat dump truck driver.

Never owned a jeep, but what I did for a lanrover III PU a 1/2 lifetime ago. Appropriate length hardshell though bolted to the roof should work well. Padlocks of your choosing required not to run afoul of legal.

Use ST/ST carriage bolts and 5200 polyurethane to seal - mine lasted 12 years protecting my BRUNO 602, before I redid the sealer. I had just enough space to set the case behind my skull, bouncing around offroad. I confess occasionally I banged my head, but the plastic Pelican I used had rounded edges, and my skull proved hard enough.

no surprise there!

This concept Tactical Traps I used the Pelican lid to the roof incase that was not clear, and I spread the load using three 11/2" x 3/16" aluminum strips and 6 bolts.

Last Edited:
Because I am building the Hard top from scratch the rifle storage compartment will be built into the structure of the Top. SO no bolts through the top. Just into the square aluminum tubing that will be the frame of the top.

I'm planning two drop down 1" deep x 12 x 15 map pockets in the front of the top with lighting and some switches running down the center. The Rifle compartment would be on one side or the other of the about 6" wide center section where the electrical stuff is. I may put two of them in one on either side. If I can figure out a use.

Because I am building the Hard top from scratch the rifle storage compartment will be built into the structure of the Top. SO no bolts through the top. Just into the square aluminum tubing that will be the frame of the top.

I'm planning two drop down 1" deep x 12 x 15 map pockets in the front of the top with lighting and some switches running down the center. The Rifle compartment would be on one side or the other of the about 6" wide center section where the electrical stuff is. I may put two of them in one on either side. If I can figure out a use.
That sounds like a good plan! Run the carriers north/south ether side of the center overhead, should be pretty slick as long as you have head room! :D

I've often thought that a custom made cavity made into the back of a tall passenger bucket seat would be an ideal place.
It might be a little uncomfortable for the passenger with some of the reduced padding, but it's certainly doable with a short carbine style rifle.

Ok good ideas but the idea of a front stand up rack is a no go as my jeep has 4 shift levers in the way. Seats are metal framed low backs so trying to hide a rifle in a seat is a no go. So is the type of holder my dad had due to the large console I'll have in the way.

Pretty sure the ceiling is my best bet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads