JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Right to Bear Arms: Over 10,800,000 Guns Sold in USA in 2011

Some excerpts from the article...:paper:

"2011 was yet another record breaking year for gun sales, with Americans purchasing some 10.8 million firearms, a 14% increase over the previous year and up over 50% from ten years ago as reported by the National Shooting Sports Foundation:"

"December marked an unprecedented 19th straight month of background check increases when compared to the same period in the previous year."

"According to Ammoland, more guns were purchased last year in the United States than than there are active duty military members in the world’s fourteen largest armies combined..."

If you assume an average length of each gun as two feet that would be 4090 miles of guns. That is fourteen times the length of the Grand Canyon and all most twice as long as the Mississippi River and 17,280 times higher than the Empire State Building.

If you add up all the bars on the graph, it adds up to about 82 million guns sold in a 10-year period! Which has something to do with this last excerpt...

"As sales climb, recent FBI data shows violent crime continuing to fall in the United States, with homicides dropping out of the top 15 causes of death in the country. The statistics undermine a favorite argument of anti-gun groups that “more guns equal more crime.”

It would be interesting to see the demographics? ( Man, woman, by state,pistol vs long gun, Black Guns vs hunting )
I had heard women were rapidly growing gun purchases
I also heard that it is the same type person buying multiple guns.

One thing for sure - the more people have firearms ( and knows how to properly use them) the lower crime falls.
The more gun ownership the more paranoid some congressional folks become.

"As sales climb, recent FBI data shows violent crime continuing to fall in the United States, with homicides dropping out of the top 15 causes of death in the country. The statistics undermine a favorite argument of anti-gun groups that "more guns equal more crime."
Taken by itself I don't think it was in the top 15.

Here in a few months you can add 1 more to the list lol...... Now I just need to focus on more ammo. I just like to go shooting a lot and if SHTF happens I like to think I have something to depend on.

heres the odd thing about statistics; these are for the papered background checked FFL transfers, right? how many more went off the book? also; I wonder just how many of these 10 million guns were bought in multiples by single buyers.... I mean, one could say theres 10 people, 8 do no own guns, but two own 20 guns between them, therefore, there is an average of 2 guns per person....simplified statistic yes, but relevant because I know for a fact I only have had ONE background check, with my first purchase, and yet I have 3 guns; two which were given to me by my father, who bought them along with 3 other guns for himself...and now he is wanting a few more guns; and I am wanting another gun. between him and I, we have eleven guns. I only have 3. he's got the rest; statistically we have 5.5 guns each lol; so I know there are some people buying 1, two, three, four guns at a time just because they want to.......at the very least, I know we have at least one gun owner for every 8-10 persons who do not legally own guns......and thats assuming of course that these are legal gun owners. of these 8-10 people, how many are ex-convicts, felons, criminals, and hipsters. (I've met FEW pro-gun hipsters....MANY are anti-gun, big government, hand-out, idiotic people)

My favorite quote, although it's come to light that it was more than likely made up and not spoken by Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy Isoroku Yamamoto during WWII.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

I personally bought a dozen guns in 2011 to help the cause.

I am doing my part as $ allows, I am sure that stat is just for new gun sales, just imagine how many changed hands in private sales. to quote a famous wise woman, it makes my mind wobble. [Kelly Bundy]

Three of those guns were mine. Obama is the best firearms salesman there ever was and he hasn't ever said a negative thing about gun rights or ownership since he became president. If I had known how this would have turned out, I would have bought some Ruger stock shares back in 2008.

Sometime just for fun, Google the stats on private gun ownership in the US against all of the guns owned by the military and law enforcement combined. The government can never take our guns away. They're vastly outnumbered and aren't armed well enough. Besides, I would guess that most of the military and LE guys would end up on our side of any governmental gun confiscation issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top