JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They also keeps records. I was under the impression after the sale & ck they were supposed to get rid of permanent records. There is a link to other locations in Oregon to attend the hearing. To me this all sounds like a additional tax on firearms.

Oregon: Your Attendance is Needed at Hearing in Central Point Next Week to Oppose Gun Tax Increase!

The Oregon State Police (OSP) is currently reviewing possible fee increases for services provided by the agency, including conducting background checks on firearms purchasers. State law currently mandates that the buyer must pay the $10 fee for this service, and OSP maintains records on individuals cleared for purchases. NRA-ILA strongly opposes OSP's proposal to nearly TRIPLE that fee to $28, as well as the agency's plan to continue registering legal firearms purchasers.

Please attend the meeting scheduled for Thursday, June 10, from 12:00pm-2:00pm in the Training Room at Oregon State Police SW Region Headquarters, located at 4500 Rogue Valley Highway in Central Point, and voice your objections to the tax increase and continuing to register lawful gun buyers. (Because this is a widespread review of all OSP services, fingerprint processing fees for Concealed Handgun License applicants are also being examined for a similar hike.) Please click on the following link for information about additional upcoming meeting dates, times and locations across the state in June: <broken link removed>

I tacked this thread.

If anyone goes to this meeting, could you ask them why they spend so much of the taxpayer money on this system when there is a FREE federal system in place for the dealers to use.
It's called NICS.
It is the same place that OSP calls when doing their check.

In all the other states the dealer calls NICS. Why does Oregon have the extra middle-man? Total waste of time and money.

It's called NICS.
It is the same place that OSP calls when doing their check.

In all the other states the dealer calls NICS. Why does Oregon have the extra middle-man? Total waste of time and money.

Talking with Kevin Starrett the other day, turns out that background checks for firearms sales in Oregon account for 25% of the checks that go on there. The other checks are for police stations, government, etc. So it just appears that OSP wants more money from the firearms industry and all us gun buyers, an increase to $28.00 per check would make up almost 50% of the OSP backgorund check income!
...Doesn't make sense to me...:huh:
Go to the meeting in Salem coming up on the 16th

Wednesday, June 16
9:00 – 11:00
Oregon State Police – State Fire Marshall’s Office
4760 Portland Road, Salem, OR 97305
Room: Mount Hood

Well taxing people because thats what it is will drive up shady sales and blackmarket deals. It was my understanding that it was a check, whats all this i read about them keeping records of who and what we buy. Unofficial registration? I thought Oregon was Registration Free state.

Well from what I know the OSP is supposed to purge the records after 30 days (?), but that doesn't mean the information is lost and gone forever. I'm sure that the feds or some other watchdog program is keeping track of EVERYTHING that goes on with serial numbers and who buys what.

Lots of other states also act as "middlemen" in these instant checks.

The FBI permits, but does not require, states to be the POC (Point of Contact) for the FFL. If a state chooses to be the POC, the state agency does the work of accessing the FBI's NICS system and saying yes or no to the FFL. If the state doesn't choose to be the POC, the FFL calls the FBI, and FBI personnel check the database and say yes or no. The FBI likes states to be the POC, because it means less work for the FBI.

About a dozen states -- like Oregon -- are POCs for all firearm purchases. Another dozen or so -- I think Washington is one, but I'm not sure -- are POC for handguns, but not for long-guns. Most states are not POCs, so the FFL just calls the FBI NICS directly, and FBI personnel check the database.

It's no surprise that so many states are not POCs, because the FBI doesn't charge, whereas if the state does the check, it either has to charge or eat the cost of being the POC.

Anyone engaging on this issue would be wise to bone up on NICS and how states like Oregon use the system: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm. There are links on the site, for example, that show which states are full POC, partial POC, or not at all.

So I agree with cocktailer: The real question to ask OSP is why Oregon and other states act as POCs at all if the FBI will do this for free. I'd be pretty curious what the OSP says about that. If it's just a revenue-generator for OSP, that would not be good.

As Chief Justice Marshall wrote in M'Culloch v. Maryland, "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

Any updates on this, from those who may have gone to the hearing?

To be honest, I would support this 100&#37; if it was clear the money was going directly to fund OSP activities, such as fish and game. Never a bad thing to crack down on poachers and road hunters, to say nothing of other crime - I'd rather pay direct taxes that I can really get behind the issue on, rather than indirect taxes; I also don't recall ever looking to buy a gun and seeing eighteen dollars as a deal breaker. It's a different issue entirely if this is getting dropped into the general fund, of course.

Alot of us, and I would say particularly those of us in PACNORWEST, who own firearms engage ourselves in outdoor pursuits - and I think that those of us who are responsible about it do have a great deal of support owed to the troopers who make that possible by busting their rear ends pretty hard every season to make sure that it's those responsible of us who are doing the harvesting, also serving to keep our reputation solid in the region.

Also, and I could be totally off on this because I don't have the receipt to hand, but I seem to recall from getting a background check some months ago (around January) from OSP directly in regards to expunging an old misdemeanor charge, that the fee on that end was already around 25 or 30 dollars, so it doesn't seem so egregious to even out the fee scale from that perspective. I could be wrong about that price, of course, as I said.

meeting in ontario today it's ove
meeting june 23 in pendleton

we won't know any thing until after the las meet.

email osp
email your state rep and sen.

To be honest, I would support this 100&#37; if it was clear the money was going directly to fund OSP activities, such as fish and game. ... I'd rather pay direct taxes that I can really get behind the issue on, rather than indirect taxes; I also don't recall ever looking to buy a gun and seeing eighteen dollars as a deal breaker. It's a different issue entirely if this is getting dropped into the general fund, of course. ... Alot of us, and I would say particularly those of us in PACNORWEST, who own firearms engage ourselves in outdoor pursuits...
Alright, but only on models of long-guns that meet "sporting purposes". I don't consider this to be in any way a direct tax. If you like a direct tax, then the cost of a fishing license should go up.

An increase in $18 is just another addition to the fees i have to pay to get a gun in my possession. I already pay $50-$70 on top of the cost of the gun after shipping, dealer's fee and background check; it getting up to $70-$90 would be ridiculous.

Maybe instead of charging us more, they should lay some people off whose work is unproductive (but i'm being redundant) and does nothing to safe-guard the productivity of private business. Like maybe stop registering our purchases and stop doing the background check ...at the state level.

I might just get my wish if this increase in fees brings about a decrease in use and they have no justification to pay for these extravagances.

[QUOTE An increase in $18 is just another addition to the fees i have to pay to get a gun in my possession. I already pay $50-$70 on top of the cost of the gun after shipping, dealer's fee and background check; it getting up to $70-$90 would be ridiculous.
QUOTE]

first the fee goes up $28.00 not $18 if your fees are that high find another dealer.

Do you know how many guns have been sold and have had back ground checks made?

over 57,000 and that was a couple of months ago.at$10.00 you do the math.

they (osp) do not need that much of an increase.

I went to the meeting in Salem a month or so ago and brought up the CHL holders being exempt from the check. We were told they had thought about it.This is just another TAX with an excuse for safety. My understanding is the fee increase would also apply to local police agencies doing checks on traffic stops, etc.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top