JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The proposed raise is too much, an increase of five dollars is a reasonable and just amount for the times we live in. I think the background check should last for 30 days also, not imposed on another firearm purchase within 30 days.. My2cents

Oregon state needs to just let the FFL's contact FBI directly on the free NICS line. I've bought long guns in Oregin from FFL (still legal) and we've waited as much as 45 minutes AFTER the OSP system picked up the call. All they do is middle the call to NICS, for whicdh they are not charged any fee. Let the FFL's make that call.

(WA FFL sales, long and short, ALL go to the NICS, not local. Non permit holders have to wait for a proceed from the local LEA, then come back and get the handgun later. CPL holders, the form gets filled out, but the NICS check is all that is required. Dealer then sends handgun purchase record form to local LEA, and State Department of Licensing, both of which keep permanent record. I;m also told (by OR FFL's) that all gun prichases through FFL's are maintained in a permanent record by OSP... a needless expense, and probably illegal. NICS are supposed to destroy all record of the call within 48 hours if a proceed code is given.

OSP are merely wanting to generate more revenue..... for less service. take those phone operators offline, let NICS take care of it, and rejoin the rest of the union. Stupid thinking. Part of why I won't live there (he says, still lving here inn Washington)

I'm ok with it.... when is that last time the fees have been raised since program inception? From the looks of it, a looooooong time. I'd be ok paying $28 for the background check... :s0155:

I still think it should be a free service. When I was in Colorado, we entered the information into a computer. The system let us know how long it would take. The customer was free to leave and come back. If he was a felon, there was usually LEO's waiting when they came back. It cost NOTHING!!

Retailers are required to keep records of their sales I believe. It really doesnt matter if the state keeps them or not as they can just go to the retailer for the information.
Back in the day when I was working a gun counter we would be audited from time to time and part of that audit was always a look at that record. The company had years of record books stored up.

Well just think if your little fees get passed and you want to buy a rifle you come to WA and pay NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where WA either pay a tax or a small OSP tax. So I would not complain as you get the best of both worlds. That is a small fee for you to pay so I would be happy instead of complaining. I think WA is stupid as well for not making OR residents not paying tax. But hey not everybody can be satisfied.

I'm ok with it.... when is that last time the fees have been raised since program inception? From the looks of it, a looooooong time. I'd be ok paying $28 for the background check...
That's a 280% increase, for something that can be done for free at the federal NICS. Heck some states don't even require a background check if the buyer has a CHL.

As you all have figured out by now the otion to raise OSP background check fees did not pass. YAY!
A BIG thank you to Kevin Starrett for all the work he does for us clarifying confusing bills and fighting for gun rights.

Just though I'd throw this out there... this morning I ran background check and my approval number was 11-115300. This is how many approvals the OSP have given this year, @ $10 each. That doesn't include online checks that are now available and over the 8,000 mark.

Just interesting!

Well from what I know the OSP is supposed to purge the records after 30 days (?), but that doesn't mean the information is lost and gone forever. I'm sure that the feds or some other watchdog program is keeping track of EVERYTHING that goes on with serial numbers and who buys what.

They keep it all.

An FFL holder told me the state helped them with some compliance issues on gun sales from years ago that came up in an audit. It sounded like they lost some sales records and the state was able to provide everything they needed very quickly.

If you bought it in Oregon I would consider it registered.

As you all have figured out by now the otion to raise OSP background check fees did not pass. YAY!
A BIG thank you to Kevin Starrett for all the work he does for us clarifying confusing bills and fighting for gun rights.

Unfortunately, the state didn't get out of the business entirely. I guess it's because we're Oregon and we have to be special.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top