JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think much about them at all. From what I understand, which isn't much, there are very few wolves in the state in the first place. They're listed as endangered in all but the most eastern reaches of the state, so hunting them isn't a concern I have. Frankly, I don't have a desire to hunt wolves or coyotes or anything that I won't eat for that matter. Leave them alone, and they'll leave you alone.
The deer, elk, and other prey animals are more rightfully the wolves' than ours to harvest. As to them being a nuisance to ranchers, I say that's part of the assumption of risk when you're in that business.

I don't think much about them at all. From what I understand, which isn't much, there are very few wolves in the state in the first place. They're listed as endangered in all but the most eastern reaches of the state, so hunting them isn't a concern I have. Frankly, I don't have a desire to hunt wolves or coyotes or anything that I won't eat for that matter. Leave them alone, and they'll leave you alone.
The deer, elk, and other prey animals are more rightfully the wolves' than ours to harvest. As to them being a nuisance to ranchers, I say that's part of the assumption of risk when you're in that business.
The last time I checked, humans were at the top of the food chain. Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc are game animals and wolf season would be year-round if I had my way. There are wolves in the Davis Lake area where I hunt. Wildlife cannot be managed with emotions.

Like many things ....
The decision made , is made by folks , who don't have to live with its consequences.
Which is a problem in and of itself.

Wolves are beautiful animals indeed.
They do have a place in the wild and they do fill a role there.
However....beautiful or not...can they co-exist with humans...is the question . ( Or should be )

It is my understanding that the wolves that have been "re-introduced" are not ones that were native to this part of the world....
So that makes for some issues already.

Which then brings up some questions like :
Can this species of wolf co-exist with humans...?
Is there an actual , as in natural need to bring this wolf species here...?
Since quite a bit of time has gone by since the wolf was here in the first place...
Will the introduction of this wolf , bring more harm than good ...?

Andy

I think they ruined an elk hunt a few years ago. Could hear them howling and arguably more wolf prints than elk prints. More poor government involvement making things considerably worse than if they did nothing at all

If introducing wolves to Oregon works out anything like introducing Turkeys has, we are in for major disruption.

My dream is that a pack of wolves moves into Portland and starts eating the homeless. Watch the politicians and media squirm as they try to balance that out!

What line of work are you in Fairweather 91?

It is my understanding that the wolves that have been "re-introduced" are not ones that were native to this part of the world....
This is true and I believe I read one time they are some sort of a cross between the timberwolf and some sort of larger, and more aggressive Canadian variety.

Reality being what it is there has never been a 'natural order' of things and all animals have to either adapt to their environment to survive or they will eventually disappear.

Wolves had their chance environmentally and apparently couldn't survive. Compare them to coyotes which can survive nearly anywhere and anything - including humans - and are doing quite well.

'Forced' reintroduction of a non-indigenous species of any animal, and then having to monitor it's lifestyle and movements to ensure it's safety and survival is hardly 'natural'. It's nothing more than an arrogant display of power by leftist liberal earth muffins.

Last Edited:
If introducing wolves to Oregon works out anything like introducing Turkeys has, we are in for major disruption.

My dream is that a pack of wolves moves into Portland and starts eating the homeless. Watch the politicians and media squirm as they try to balance that out!
Let them loose on the rioters first.

I met a man a few years ago who was successfully keeping a couple of wolves as pets. Pretty impressive.

But as far as re-introducing wolves into the wild goes: I think it's a huge mistake. Our forefathers eradicated them for good reasons.

The urban folks and the politicians who push for re-establishing wolf packs should be made to live with the consequences - but of course, that won't happen.

We live on a farm, and can't let our chickens range freely because of predators. Adding wolves to the mix would be a very bad idea.

The wolf report in Newport is zero now sea lions we have those
-
Wolfs in Oregon Coast.jpg
-

The deer, elk, and other prey animals are more rightfully the wolves' than ours to harvest.
I don't have a "dog in the fight" per se, since I don't hunt, but I have to wonder about this. A coworker made a similar statement regarding wolves a while back, something along the lines that "They were here first". It sounds right, but why? Why would it be right? I don't think it is. Like RVTECH says, man is just as much a part of nature as wolves are.

I don't have a strong opinion either way; I just think there needs to be a stronger rationale than just a nice-sounding statement that doesn't actually say much.

I do know that my hunter friends suspect that a big part of the reason for wolf reintroduction is to discourage and eventually eliminate human hunting. Game animals need predators to control and maintain healthy populations, and some people see "natural" predators as superior to human hunting. Again, this is just what I've heard from friends; I haven't hunted in over 20 years.

"They were here first". It sounds right, but it's not.
If they were 'reintroduced', and require ongoing, 'artificial' maintenance then they weren't 'here first' - obviously.

There is NO rational or logic to 'reintroduce' an animal that not only has been gone for a long time, and has no effect on the environment being gone - but this doesn't matter to the average camp follower hippy, liberal, dirt worshiping 'environmentalists'

Last Edited:
If they were 'reintroduced', and require ongoing, 'artificial' maintenance then they weren't 'here first' - obviously.
Bovine Fecal Matter!

The issues with maintenance are necessary for the reintroduction of any species that was here before man (15K->20K years ago). Wolves were in N. America (including the PNW) long before man came over from Asia. So were Brown Bears up and down the west coast and the plains.

There is NO rational or logic to 'reintroduce' an animal that not only has been gone for a long time, and has no effect on the environment being gone - but this doesn't matter to the average camp follower hippy, liberal, dirt worshiping 'environmentalists'
You only have to look at the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone to see the beneficial effect that wolves have on the wildlife there.

I do not hunt predators unless they are hunting my livestock/pets/people. I consider wolves/coyotes/cougars/bears/owls/eagles/etc. to be hunters that I might compete with and I don't hunt human hunters just because they compete for the same game.

I like having those predators in the wild. It is what makes the wild the wild. It is artificial to remove them and natural to have them there.

I say let's "reintroduce" bison so that the wolves have something else to eat other than the dwindling #s of elk and deer. and of course, a wild bison hunt would be a plus.

I say let's "reintroduce" bison so that the wolves have something else to eat other than the dwindling #s of elk and deer. and of course, a wild bison hunt would be a plus.
People are working on this. I think it is not a bad idea. I've read that some people have seen wild bison in the Blue mountains? I personally would take up hunting again to get a chance at taking a good bison, and would love to have the meat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top