JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The locked container doesn't really effect me personally since I already do lock up my guns because I have kids and I have a safe. The nightstand issue is a problem though if placing a gun next to you is not "allowed". The police have never seen my bedroom though...
So you're ok with this because it doesn't affect you personally?

Unfortunately, Oregon 554 passed today. So, assuming KB signs it, 90 days after the legislative session ends:
All firearms whether in-service or not will need to be locked.
Trigger locks or locked box when transporting firearms are required
CHL costs go to $115 ($100 to the county, $15 to the state police)

I think there are some other things hidden in there as well (link SB 554)

Quote:

"All firearms whether in-service or not will need to be locked."

How can a firearm that IS IN SERVICE be IN SERVICE and LOCKED at the same exact time?

Confused Cate

Well damn, and here I went and threw all those cable keylocks in the garbage, because, well...they are garbage.

I gave mine or 95% of mine and 95% of my husband's locks to my FFL men years ago for FREE.

One of them is on this forum too.

Cate

Almost impossible to enforce, but if the A-whole whose psycho friend stole his rifle to shoot up Clackamas Town Center during a Christmas shopping rush had secured his rifle we might not have this law (but we might). Irresponsible A-wholes AND criminals screw it up for responsible law abiding gun owners, yet it changes nothing for me because I've got kids and locks and safes.

Hashtag moving to Idaho summer 2022!
Better buy your house there now. I was looking at a comfortable new construction home there last April for $229,000. Right after the election the builder was asking $299,000 for the same model. I doubt that I could find anything accptable to the wife for under $350,000 now.

Almost impossible to enforce, but if the A-whole whose psycho friend stole his rifle to shoot up Clackamas Town Center during a Christmas shopping rush had secured his rifle we might not have this law (but we might). Irresponsible A-wholes AND criminals screw it up for responsible law abiding gun owners, yet it changes nothing for me because I've got kids and locks and safes.
Read the Sheriff's report on the shooting https://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/03ed9911-ccaf-4197-8b1e-918fc7b4b685

The murder was not a prohibited person and had planned this a week in advance with the purchase of magazines, ammo and earplugs. The murder could have also bought wire cutters or tin snips to cut a cable lock, or just went ahead and bought his own rifle. With only two people killed and one wounded it did not even meet the Obama definition of a "mass shooting". Realistically the guy could have caused more damage by renting a moving truck and running people over like the religion of peace does in gun free Europe.

The only a-hole is Paul Kemp, who wants to sue the rifle owner who was the victim of theft. This was nothing but a revenge bill.

Read the Sheriff's report on the shooting https://dochub.clackamas.us/documents/drupal/03ed9911-ccaf-4197-8b1e-918fc7b4b685

The murder was not a prohibited person and had planned this a week in advance with the purchase of magazines, ammo and earplugs. The murder could have also bought wire cutters or tin snips to cut a cable lock, or just went ahead and bought his own rifle. With only two people killed and one wounded it did not even meet the Obama definition of a "mass shooting". Realistically the guy could have caused more damage by renting a moving truck and running people over like the religion of peace does in gun free Europe.

The only a-hole is Paul Kemp, who wants to sue the rifle owner who was the victim of theft. This was nothing but a revenge bill.
But Paul Kemp is a gun owner and probably likes to buy his ammo and gun locks at BiMart, how can he be an a hole

So basically, I can still CC into places like Costco without committing a felony, and to go INSIDE the school I'd have to store the firearm securely ... if the local board makes the school a gun free zone. The other stuff is all things I've already done.

I wonder if disassembly is as good as a lock, or if locking in the vehicle, which I have the only key to, is good enough. Otherwise I'll have to use a frickin' gun lock to leave it in the car for conferences, or inform them I can't attend conferences any more due to their policies. Maybe teleconf will continue to be an option.

Footnote: This is starting to feel like CA a tiny bit. Adapt or go home, southerners.

So do I need to cable lock all my guns when going to the range? Or does having them in my range bag in my truck count as being in my possession?

As long as you are in or next to your vehicle, you should be OK. Don't leave them somewhere somebody could get to them before you. Otherwise locked up and hidden in a lock box or trunk.

What I read is that a cable lock or locked container is required when transporting a firearm, ie one that is not on you. That is going to be a PITA. You can assume they meant a "separate" container unless told otherwise by an enforcement officer or some clarifying language is added. This would also mean that the trunk doesn't qualify since it's as easy or easier than your passenger compartment to break into. Part of it reads that they want CCL holders to put the gun in a lockbox rather than in the console etc when they encounter a gun free zone. Cuz, theft happens. They are so concerned about your loss.... /sarc

There is no way to understand insanity. But, evil and stupidity can be predicted. Tyranny has used this playbook before. They want innocent people to be victims. More victims mean more leftist voters, who are slaves to big government for protection, who enact more policies that make more people victims.
Ancient Egyptians used to rub human and animal poo on wounds for healing and to ward of spirits, only to get tetanus or die of infection. Well, voting for big government marxists is a lot like rubbing poo in your wounds and expecting not to get gangrene.

:s0101:

Also, a locked car doesn't count as a locked container?

No.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My home is a "gun room" since it has tamper resistant locks as the definition of "gun room" requires.

This would also mean that the trunk doesn't qualify since it's as easy or easier than your passenger compartment to break into.
Well it CA the locked trunk used to count as a locked container, but hatchbacks and pickups were SOL.

Also, well, a gun lock or even locked container won't slow down a theft unless the container is bolted to the car, and the car is not being stolen itself.

Have just perused the law; as others have said a steaming pile of crap and a continuation of Oregon's war against legal gun ownership.

A suggestion...
The law provides penalties for things that happen if a gun is lost or stolen, and not reported as such. What if we all report every single one of our guns as "lost", the day the law goes into effect? This could easily happen if, for example, your wife borrowed the gun and forgot to put it back into place. And there's no requirement that the gun, if found, be reported as found. So, you lose your gun on Monday and report it as so, find it on Tuesday, and back it goes into your gun safe/room. Results:
1) This will be seen as a big "F.U." to the law
2) Could clog up any systems used to report/record gun losses
3) In the unlikely event that something bad happens with your gun, you are free from any consequences of not having reported said gun lost or stolen.

IANAL - just throwing an idea out there for discussion.

Well it CA the locked trunk used to count as a locked container, but hatchbacks and pickups were SOL.

Also, well, a gun lock or even locked container won't slow down a theft unless the container is bolted to the car, and the car is not being stolen itself.

Hmmm, what I remember is that when transporting a firearm it had to be in the trunk with the ammunition stored separately... you could not transport a firearm in plain sight on the seat, etc, unloaded or not. That was the law, but I don't remember a specific definition of the trunk as a "locked container" per se. Keep in mind that i left in 1980.

#2.... I know that, you know that, but THEY don't know Jack!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR