JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have just perused the law; as others have said a steaming pile of crap and a continuation of Oregon's war against legal gun ownership.

A suggestion...
The law provides penalties for things that happen if a gun is lost or stolen, and not reported as such. What if we all report every single one of our guns as "lost", the day the law goes into effect? This could easily happen if, for example, your wife borrowed the gun and forgot to put it back into place. And there's no requirement that the gun, if found, be reported as found. So, you lose your gun on Monday and report it as so, find it on Tuesday, and back it goes into your gun safe/room. Results:
1) This will be seen as a big "F.U." to the law
2) Could clog up any systems used to report/record gun losses
3) In the unlikely event that something bad happens with your gun, you are free from any consequences of not having reported said gun lost or stolen.

IANAL - just throwing an idea out there for discussion.
Good idea until it wasn't. That would be falsely reporting a crime, which would be illegal.

Have just perused the law; as others have said a steaming pile of crap and a continuation of Oregon's war against legal gun ownership.

A suggestion...
The law provides penalties for things that happen if a gun is lost or stolen, and not reported as such. What if we all report every single one of our guns as "lost", the day the law goes into effect? This could easily happen if, for example, your wife borrowed the gun and forgot to put it back into place. And there's no requirement that the gun, if found, be reported as found. So, you lose your gun on Monday and report it as so, find it on Tuesday, and back it goes into your gun safe/room. Results:
1) This will be seen as a big "F.U." to the law
2) Could clog up any systems used to report/record gun losses
3) In the unlikely event that something bad happens with your gun, you are free from any consequences of not having reported said gun lost or stolen.

Well considering you just admitted to filing a false police report on a forum...that probably wont work.

It's like some people don't realize this is an open forum that anyone can read. :rolleyes:

I have a friend, a transplant from CA who likes this thing for the main reason he calls common sense gun storage... It's just like what California had and he sees no problem with this pile of crap...

He recently got his CHL and still likes this bill...

Trying to point out to him that just because there is one thing he likes the required gun storage is no reason to pass the load of garbage with it...

I'll lockup my firearms and whatever else my way in a proper way, I don't need the goverment to dictate to me what has to be done....

The guy won't budge it seems...

Was hoping he would abandon the ways of California, apparently he still likes California ways despite getting a handgun, wanting an AR15, getting a CHL, etc....
Take heart. When the big Cascade Zone decides to let-r-rip, with the obligatory anarchy and chaos that follows, your friends will attempt to take cover behind bushes or cardboard, as they have learned in Paintball. Oof.

"All firearms whether in-service or not will need to be locked."

How can a firearm that IS IN SERVICE be IN SERVICE and LOCKED at the same exact time?
"Cocked, Locked, and Ready to Rock!" AKA, the safety.
For some, it's their booger-hook.

I have a friend, a transplant from CA who likes this thing for the main reason he calls common sense gun storage... It's just like what California had and he sees no problem with this pile of crap...

He recently got his CHL and still likes this bill...

Trying to point out to him that just because there is one thing he likes the required gun storage is no reason to pass the load of garbage with it...

I'll lockup my firearms and whatever else my way in a proper way, I don't need the goverment to dictate to me what has to be done....

The guy won't budge it seems...

Was hoping he would abandon the ways of California, apparently he still likes California ways despite getting a handgun, wanting an AR15, getting a CHL, etc....
This is a huge problem. Those of us who don't approve of any restrictions are in a very small minority.

Good idea until it wasn't. That would be falsely reporting a crime, which would be illegal.
No! Losing a gun is not a crime. Telling the police that you lost a gun is not reporting a crime. It's no different than telling the police you forgot where you parked your car. No crime, and the police are not required to pursue any action.

@GunOwner
I misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting that a person file a report that a firearm was missing when the person filing the report knew the firearm was not missing. I am pretty sure that would be a crime of filing a false police report. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

For some reason the phrase "filing a false police report" just went through my mind. Weird.

Hmmm, what I remember is that when transporting a firearm it had to be in the trunk with the ammunition stored separately
Yeah, or if you had a car without a trunk you had to transport the firearm in a locked container. This was the rule for handguns when I entered CA and they extended it to all firearms before I left. Hilariously enough a $2 lock connecting both zipper pulls on a soft case counted as a locked container.

It appears that it was passed without an emergency clause? If true, it can be challenged and forced to the ballot
for a vote of the people.
This will be the only option....(other than just not complying). KB will gladly sign it, no matter how many times we demand otherwise. I'm pretty sure that the majority of folks in the state would see the stupidity of this crap and vote against it. I'm surprised they didn't use the emergency clause as that is how they were able to ram the Universal BC thru over the will of the people.
I'm far from knowing all of what it takes to force this to be voted on, but I do believe it is d@mn well passed time that we make it happen.

*** Contact Governor Brown today. Urge her to VETO this idiotic legislation. *** I just did, with full knowledge that this incompetent, neurotic, Marxist, California carpetbagger will happily sign this crap into law. I HAD to. Made me feel better.
And continuing with the "what can I do?" theme ....

Maybe putting effort at the County-level would be worthwhile. See these:
https://sanctuarycounties.com/2021/05/06/nearly-1500-counties-are-now-second-amendment-sanctuaries/
https://constitutionalsanctuaries.com/

Last Edited:
So basically, I can still CC into places like Costco without committing a felony, and to go INSIDE the school I'd have to store the firearm securely ... if the local board makes the school a gun free zone. The other stuff is all things I've already done.

I wonder if disassembly is as good as a lock, or if locking in the vehicle, which I have the only key to, is good enough. Otherwise I'll have to use a frickin' gun lock to leave it in the car for conferences, or inform them I can't attend conferences any more due to their policies. Maybe teleconf will continue to be an option.

Footnote: This is starting to feel like CA a tiny bit. Adapt or go home, southerners.
WRONG! The House Dems snuck "Grounds" back into the Bill and took out the exemption for parking lots and parking garages.

Don't worry....the thing nowadays for social media feelers is to use a cyber scalpel and slice between the lines to extract the hidden meaning rather than the plain language.
You mean the pain language where he says it doesn't "effect him personally"

No! Losing a gun is not a crime. Telling the police that you lost a gun is not reporting a crime. It's no different than telling the police you forgot where you parked your car. No crime, and the police are not required to pursue any action.

But they Probably wont ask if your car was locked up.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews