JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unfortunately, Oregon 554 passed today. So, assuming KB signs it, 90 days after the legislative session ends:
All firearms whether in-service or not will need to be locked.
Trigger locks or locked box when transporting firearms are required
CHL costs go to $115 ($100 to the county, $15 to the state police)

I think there are some other things hidden in there as well (link SB 554)

Unfortunately, Oregon 554 passed today. So, assuming KB signs it, 90 days after the legislative session ends:
All firearms whether in-service or not will need to be locked.
Trigger locks or locked box when transporting firearms are required
CHL costs go to $115 ($100 to the county, $15 to the state police)

I think there are some other things hidden in there as well (link SB 554)

How can a in service firearm be locked ?

How can a in service firearm be locked ?

I believe @Soren was incorrect in that statement or mistyped. A weapon that is on your person may still be readily available.

Requires person to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock, in locked container or in gun room except in specified circumstances.

A Gun Room:
(5) "Gun room" means an area within a building enclosed by walls, a floor and a ceiling, including a closet, that has all entrances secured by a tamper-resistant lock, that is kept locked at all times when unoccupied and that is used for:
(a) The storage of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms or ammunition, or equipment for firearm-related activities including but not limited to reloading ammunition, gunsmithing and firearm cleaning and maintenance; or
(b) Conducting firearm-related activities, including but not limited to reloading ammuni- tion, gunsmithing and firearm cleaning and maintenance.

Storage Requirement:
SECTION 3. (1)(a) An owner or possessor of a firearm shall, at all times that the firearm is not carried by or under the control of the owner, possessor or authorized person, secure the firearm:
(A) With an engaged trigger or cable lock;
(B) In a locked container; or
(C) In a gun room.
(b) For purposes of paragraph (a) of this subsection, a firearm is not secured if:
(A) A key or combination to the trigger or cable lock or the container is readily available
to a person the owner or possessor has not authorized to carry or control the firearm.

Reading the letter of the law, a gun on the nightstand would be in violation of this new law, as you cannot be in control of said weapon while asleep.

That being said ... who is to know?

Seems to me this law was passed in an attempt to limit familial theft, as many of the mass shootings have been conducted with weapons stolen from immediate family.

I don't agree with the way this law went down. At the same time - you all know if you have kids (I got one too. Just one. I think.). You should be honest with yourself and your kid and understand if your kid could truly be a risk to themself or others. Do what you need to do to sit right with that if they go off the rails at the end of the day.

If that's all that got into the law, then (1) I still hate it and (2) no change for me. As long as I can still carry on school grounds etc I'm not impacted directly.

Nd9GcQzq-AFSrHHgUwP9RFM3TI3jcHDL-n7SSCjdw&usqp=CAU.jpg

Yes it's crap. Big steaming pile of crap. Make no mistake, I think it's crap. However, the nightstand I believe is still legal.

(3) "Control" means, in relation to a firearm:
(a) That the owner or possessor of the firearm is close enough to the firearm to prevent
another person who is not an authorized person from obtaining the firearm; or
(b) That the owner or possessor of the firearm is in the person's own residence, either
alone or with only authorized persons who also live in the residence and who are not minors,
and the residence is secure.

But make no mistake, the law is crap.

Here's the Highlight Reel for those whose eyes glaze over reading legal documentation.
IANAL - so this isn't legal advice.

• Storage Requirements
    • If the gun is not on you or under your direct control then it must be secured
      • Secured means with a trigger lock OR in a locked container OR in a Gun Room
    • The gun is considered NOT SECURE if
      • The gun is a handgun, left unattended in a vehicle, and can be seen from outside the vehicle
      • A key or the combo to a lock is readily available next to your locked cabinet/safe
  • Violations
    • Go read this yourself. Too many If/Then's and various classes of violation/misdemeanor for me to adequately summarize
  • Transfers
    • Transfers must be done where the gun is transferred with a trigger lock OR in a locked container
  • Loss/Theft
    • Must be reported within 72 hours
  • Supervising a Minor
    • If the kid is holding the gun, you are directly there watching.
      • Some exceptions for hunting, target shooting. If this applies to you, check out the bill
  • Gun Dealers
    • Must place a sign. No, really.
      • "The purchaser of a firearm has an obligation to store firearms in a safe manner and to prevent un- supervised access to a firearm by a minor. If a minor or unauthorized person obtains access to a firearm and the owner failed to store the firearm in a safe manner, the owner may be in violation of the law."
  • Public Buildings
    • A Public Building may develop a policy for No Guns on the grounds. They'll post a sign. Your CHL will not be a defense.
      • This includes Schools, Colleges, Public Buildings, Airport Passenger Terminal...read the law for more specifics on this

What grinds my gears is that the Public Buildings section DOES NOT apply to retired law enforcement or current LEO's. Sorry LEO's - if you're not within the scope of your employ (so, acting as a citizen) then all citizen laws should apply. That should be doubly true for retired LEO's. This sort of exception to the law effectively creates a caste system whereby LEO's are privileged over us common folk...fairly certain the founders would have strong words about such a system.

Yes it's crap. Big steaming pile of crap. Make no mistake, I think it's crap. However, the nightstand I believe is still legal.

But make no mistake, the law is crap.

You're right - I was thinking of my own situation with multiple occupants in the house. I'm thinking asleep may be a grey area. I doubt we'll ever find out in court.

I believe @Soren was incorrect in that statement or mistyped. A weapon that is on your person may still be readily available.

Requires person to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock, in locked container or in gun room except in specified circumstances.

A Gun Room:

Storage Requirement:

Reading the letter of the law, a gun on the nightstand would be in violation of this new law, as you cannot be in control of said weapon while asleep.

That being said ... who is to know?

Seems to me this law was passed in an attempt to limit familial theft, as many of the mass shootings have been conducted with weapons stolen from immediate family.

I don't agree with the way this law went down. At the same time - you all know if you have kids (I got one too. Just one. I think.). You should be honest with yourself and your kid and understand if your kid could truly be a risk to themself or others. Do what you need to do to sit right with that if they go off the rails at the end of the day.
Whilst I appreciate "Think of the children", I am a grown bubblegum man and at 55 I am the youngest resident of my house and my grandchild has not yet been born.

Oh, and the 2A is a thing, so it is none of their GD business anyway, so there's that!

Whilst I appreciate "Think of the children", I am a grown bubblegum man and at 55 I am the youngest resident of my house and my grandchild has not yet been born.

Oh, and the 2A is a thing, so it is none of their GD business anyway, so there's that!

What's it like, being a grown bubblegum man? Are you minty fresh or spicy cinnamon?

All jokes aside - I agree with you. Like most of the people on this forum, I use the garage for gun work. There is a lever action torn apart to bits currently getting an action job. I have no interest in carting the receiver up to the gun cabinet when I'm not in the garage and, seeing as there doesn't appear to be an exception in the law for torn apart guns, can only assume that I'm breaking said law. As I said in my first post: what happens in my home, stays in my home.

I'm simply copying their stated rationale for the bill into my post. As I said - I disagree with the way they chose to solve this particular problem (and as hinted at - think it is an individual responsibility). But, attempt to solve it they have. Guess we'll see how it shakes out.

How you secure your firearms comes down to personal responsibility and should not be defined by law as everyone's individual situation is different.

Regardless of how much this bill impacts me personally, every piece of legislation that puts limitations on our constitutional rights is another step towards total control. I feel fairly confident the founding fathers would take issue with everything in this bill. Limitations on their freedoms and being told what they could and couldn't do doesn't really seem like something they'd go in for.

California has something similar and it is/was unenforceable
Want to protect yourself from this stupid law? Leave a cut gun lock on the floor wherever you keep your HD gun(s).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top