JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's always going to be things I don't know and if I've missed an angle of how it is positive here (unless it's just the public lands part, as we've already covered that)
Actually the public land issue is the most important part.

If YOU would rather live in a state ONLY because of its carry laws yet have no concern for its amount of public land then it is OBVIOUS you are not an 'outdoorsman', don't hunt, camp, fish or have any appreciation for the outdoors and are ONLY seeing the carry laws as some sort of a greater right to 'self defense' because you see that as a more important reason to own firearms.

I have grown up in Oregon and have spent literally MOST of my free time in the outdoors and see gun ownership as more of a sporting , hunting and hobby undertaking as opposed to ONLY a 'self defense' reason for ownership.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM ANTI 2A OR THINK IT"S ALL ABOUT HUNTING OK SO LET'S NOT GO THERE...

It simply means I BALANCE my ownership of guns for all purposes - and NOT just as defensive. I have grown up with the ownership of guns as primarily sporting - but with a defensive use as a possibility - BUT NOT AS A PRIMARY reason for ownership.

I MUCH prefer to have the ability to go shooting any time, without having to fight for 'range time' , pay exorbitant fees or 'hourly' amounts to a range for the potential of only 25 yards and the worst part, SHOOTING INSIDE.

It's all about your 'values' as it comes to gun ownership and I can vehemently say I am glad to have grown up in a time when gun ownership was seen as much more acceptable, and with more of a sporting and outdoor emphasis than what it has become.

Actually the public land issue is the most important part.

If YOU would rather live in a state ONLY because of its carry laws yet have no concern for its amount of public land then it is OBVIOUS you are not an 'outdoorsman', don't hunt, camp, fish or have any appreciation for the outdoors and are ONLY seeing the carry laws as some sort of a greater right to 'self defense' because you see that as a more important reason to own firearms.

I have grown up in Oregon and have spent literally MOST of my free time in the outdoors and see gun ownership as more of a sporting , hunting and hobby undertaking as opposed to ONLY a 'self defense' reason for ownership.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM ANTI 2A OR THINK IT"S ALL ABOUT HUNTING OK SO LET'S NOT GO THERE...

It simply means I BALANCE my ownership of guns for all purposes - and NOT just as defensive. I have grown up with the ownership of guns as primarily sporting - but with a defensive use as a possibility - BUT NOT AS A PRIMARY reason for ownership.

I MUCH prefer to have the ability to go shooting any time, without having to fight for 'range time' , pay exorbitant fees or 'hourly' amounts to a range for the potential of only 25 yards and the worst part, SHOOTING INSIDE.

It's all about your 'values' as it comes to gun ownership and I can vehemently say I am glad to have grown up in a time when gun ownership was seen as much more acceptable, and with more of a sporting and outdoor emphasis than what it has become.
That's the point. As an "average Oregonian," you don't have any of that. You don't have your liberty legally, you're a criminal doing that in most in most of your state, without a CHL, the rights of with are on the block.

I think it hurts that we have a lot of registered Independents in Oregon. They can't vote in the primary for a conservative candidate. Correct me if I am wrong.

I assume if they are conservatives they vote for a conservative candidate of their party, right? Unfortunately we know they are wasting their vote. Can they vote for a conservative R candidate? Yes they can - it takes about 5 minutes down at the election office to change your party; may even be able to do it online. ;) There is no hindrance in Oregon to vote for a candidate of any party you choose, but you do have to pick a party before the primary election, so you can't vote for both Rs and Ds in the primary; and that is how it should be.

in Oregon, you can register as "not a member of a party" which I am. I don't get to vote in any primaries at all, even the "independent" one.

You can vote in any primary - just have to change your party before the deadline. Change back later if you wish. Just takes a few minutes.

I read about people who live in so called '2A friendly' states with NO public land and have to fight for range time or pay exorbitant amounts to shoot for an hour. To me this is like having to launch my boat into a pool to use it.

All of the mountainous western states have massive quantities of public land. I agree with you - I like our western USA public land too, plus the lack of high humidity, and fewer biting insects and snakes is a big plus over states to the east. Also, fewer people out here, although we are crowded enough IMHO.

I was told the other day that hiking is the big thing now. A bunch of granolas crowding into all the horse trailheads and swamping the Wallowa High Lakes with thousands of people. The Two Pan trailhead at Lostine River looks like the PDX parking lot!!!

The FS is ruining hiking also. Now in many areas you have to go online to get one of a limited number of permits. So, no more spontaneous trips when the weather is perfect for a lot of popular areas, and for some of the volcano climbs. Someone mentioned biking on hiking/riding trails - that would be illegal if it's in a Wilderness area.

I had my sights set on Idaho but it's slowly turning into California. It's only chance to survive as a red state would be to embrace the Greater Idaho plan.

Some info on that plan - sounds good to me! Couple more good articles on this page as well:

That's the point. As an "average Oregonian," you don't have any of that. You don't have your liberty legally, you're a criminal doing that in most in most of your state, without a CHL, the rights of with are on the block.

Alright! THE VERDICT IS IN! You've convinced me that YOU are ready to make the move! Smart choice IMHO!!!!! Have you picked out a state yet? Lots of jobs in:

Idaho:

Utah:

Wyoming:

Arizona:

Good luck, and let us know how it is over on the free side! :) (Before you go, check the state legislature makeup - make sure it's mostly red, NOT blue. ;))

Alright! THE VERDICT IS IN! You've convinced me that YOU are ready to make the move! Smart choice IMHO!!!!! Have you picked out a state yet? Lots of jobs in:

Idaho:

Utah:

Wyoming:

Arizona:

Good luck, and let us know how it is over on the free side! :) (Before you go, check the state legislature makeup - make sure it's mostly red, NOT blue. ;))
I am not currently in the position to move, as many others have mentioned, I have family needs tying me to the state, this was meant as a way to somewhat assess current CHL's thoughts about the longevity given SB 554, or whatever it is. Some have mentioned "public lands" as something in our favor, my point has been the new bill seems to want to add "public places" as a restriction to CHL. Rather than take offense and tell me what I'm thinking, I'd prefer a civil discussion as to what options are left if that and/or other legislation further restrict gun rights in Oregon. Y'all don't need to get passive aggressive. I'm just stating what the current laws are for the majority of Oregonians, and speculating on future outcomes, and what current CHLs think about it. Because if the majority of the ruling party has it's way, the CHL price will double, and be next to useless, depending on how municipalities choose to define/prosecute "offenses."

But what are you potentially giving up to move to a different state because it's maybe more 'gun friendly' ?

Like I said before I would never trade in the freedom of public land I have lived around and loved all my life to go somewhere that might be a little more 'gun friendly' - yet with no public land to enjoy.

Oregon is not as entirely gun - UNfriendly as many like to think it is.

I once read a comparison between TX and OR gun and gun-related laws and in an odd way OR got the nod for actually being a notch or two above TX ALL things considered.
Going by memory, Florida was the first to issue ccl's and Oregon was the second.

As an "average Oregonian," you don't have any of that. You don't have your liberty legally, you're a criminal doing that in most in most of your state, without a CHL,
What is it I 'don't have any of' ? I don't have my 'Liberty legally' - SO what is it I DO have ? 'Illegal liberty' ? You ain't making sense.

I am a criminal for doing WHAT in most 'my state 'without a CHL' ? Going shooting on public land?? Open carrying were it is legal??

Got some news for ya - one does NOT need a CHL to shoot or OPEN carry on public land.

And last but not least you say 'my state' - isn't it YOUR state as well? You show Salem as your location.

Last Edited:
What is it I 'don't have any of' ? I don't have my 'Liberty legally' - SO what is it I DO have ? 'Illegal liberty' ? You ain't making sense.

I am a criminal for doing WHAT in most 'my state' ? Going shooting on public land?? Open carrying were it is legal??

Got some news for ya - one does NOT need a CHL to shoot or OPEN carry on public land.

And last but not least you say 'my state' - isn't it YOUR state as well? You show Salem as your location.
It seems you're more interested in arguing your specific points than discussing the issue as a whole. I was using the third person to explain how others, not in your particular situation, are affected by Oregon's firearms laws; and how even your public lands COULD be in jeopardy with current legislation that I've reference being pushed. I'm sorry that was confusing. Feels like beating a dead horse at this point, I'm glad the laws are working for you and you're happy with them, cheers.

I am not currently in the position to move, as many others have mentioned, I have family needs tying me to the state, this was meant as a way to somewhat assess current CHL's thoughts about the longevity given SB 554, or whatever it is. Some have mentioned "public lands" as something in our favor, my point has been the new bill seems to want to add "public places" as a restriction to CHL. Rather than take offense and tell me what I'm thinking, I'd prefer a civil discussion as to what options are left if that and/or other legislation further restrict gun rights in Oregon. Y'all don't need to get passive aggressive. I'm just stating what the current laws are for the majority of Oregonians, and speculating on future outcomes, and what current CHLs think about it. Because if the majority of the ruling party has it's way, the CHL price will double, and be next to useless, depending on how municipalities choose to define/prosecute "offenses."

AH HA! You can't move - new info to me. I thought you were thinking about moving. I am. As I've indicated, for those who can move and want to move, I say go for it. Others can't or don't want to and that's OK too.

You seem to be confused about the meaning of public places, and public land. In the United States, the term "Public Land" is generally used to mean land such as National Forest, BLM, State Forest, National Parks, National Monuments, etc. Typically this type of land is found out in the boonies where the deer and the antelope roam. I do not believe SB 554 refers to those lands. As far as I can tell in the language, SB 554 does not affect what we refer to as "Public Land". It affects public buildings and the grounds around them that you find in towns and cities.

Open carry is allowed without a permit in Oregon - see page 9 for limitations:

Last Edited:
AH HA! You can't move - new info to me. I thought you were thinking about moving. I am. As I've indicated, for those who can move and want to move, I say go for it. Others can't or don't want to and that's OK too.

You seem to be confused about the meaning of public places, and public land. In the United States, the term "Public Land" is generally used to mean land such as National Forest, BLM, State Forest, National Parks, National Monuments, etc. Typically this type of land is found out in the boonies where the deer and the antelope roam. I do not believe SB 554 refers to those lands. As far as I can tell in the language, SB 554 does not affect what we refer to as "Public Land". It affects public buildings and the grounds around them that you find in towns and cities.

I hadn't mentioned that I couldn't move away yet, so no harm done! And thank you for addressing the "public lands" vs "public places," I guess my fear, based on the way things seem to be headed, is that just the fact that "public" is in it, it could potentially be construed to mean that, if the powers that be decided to try to push the envelope? Perhaps that's an unfounded, and unjust fear, but that's how my brain works sometimes, so the other gentleman mentioning those made me wonder if those too could eventually be effected by current ridiculous incoming regulation attempts. Thanks for your thoughts, cheers.

How disgusting to feel you need to leave family, friends, jobs and your life behind to keep your constitutional RIGHTS that were guaranteed by forefathers. One day the mindset these people have that believe it's ok for them to infringe on others will be sorry when they also lose the things they believe in but it will be too late by then

to feel you need to leave family, friends, jobs and your life behind to keep your constitutional RIGHTS that were guaranteed by forefathers.
No one should ever consider the 'need' to move purely on 'constitutional rights'

Constitutional rights apply to ALL states. Individual state laws vary but the choice to move to another state on nothing more than 'gun rights' is akin to all the actors and other 'high profile' people who who have said they were going to move to another country if a certain person were elected as president.

I could see a person, from say New York, moving to Arizona, and they would experience an improvement of their ABILITY to own guns but all moves are going to have consequences and a change of lifestyle which COULD be far more dramatic than just moving for nothing more than 'gun issues'.

Last Edited:
I am not ready to give up the ocean just yet. We talk about buying some land in other states for later, before even land in the boonies get too expensive. No matter were you are we still have to stand for all of our rights. In Oregon it's bad with the democrats super majority. But they aren't going to hand it back. We need decent candidates which some how never materialize.

I think it hurts that we have a lot of registered Independents in Oregon. They can't vote in the primary for a conservative candidate. Correct me if I am wrong.
A independent can change registration before the primary and change back to independent after primary is over. depending on the direction leaning of the clerk They might even Receive a free jaded eye .:s0124:

I would NEVER move to another state just for their GUN LAWS.

And I say this as a hard core RKBA lady too.

Cate

No one should ever consider the 'need' to move purely on 'constitutional rights'

Constitutional rights apply to ALL states. Individual state laws vary but the choice to move to another state on nothing more than 'gun rights' is akin to all the actors and other 'high profile' people who who have said they were going to move to another country if a certain person were elected as president.

I could see a person, from say New York, moving to Arizona, and they would experience an improvement of their ABILITY to own guns but all moves are going to have consequences and a change of lifestyle which COULD be far more dramatic than just moving for nothing more than 'gun issues'.

This is true.

Like I said in many other posts here and elsewhere - I would NEVER move to another state just for gun issues.

Plus gun ownership in NYC is not the same as in the rest of NY STATE.

That goes for many other rural and 'city/suburban' areas in OTHER states ALL across this nation!

Just because some political LEADER including a former R governor has a R or a D behind their name and makes promises - aka LIES to their state population about conceal carry, etc. does not make them HONEST when it comes to a LONG list of gun and OTHER very important issues. Taxes? Income taxes. Real estate taxes. Etc.!

I would say more but my hands hurt and I would only be repeating myself to the PRO RKBA people here.

Take care, friend.

Cate

This is true.

Like I said in many other posts here and elsewhere - I would NEVER move to another state just for gun issues.

That goes for many other rural and 'city/suburban' areas in OTHER states ALL across this nation!

Just because some political LEADER including a former R governor has a R or a D behind their name and makes promises - aka LIES to their state population about conceal carry, etc. does not make them HONEST when it comes to a LONG list of gun and OTHER very important issues. Taxes? Income taxes. Real estate taxes. Etc.!

I would say more but my hands hurt and I would only be repeating myself to the PRO RKBA people here.

Take care, friend.

Cate

copy and paste LOL

This is true.

Take care, friend.

Cate
Cate, as you may have gathered, I mainly communicate in short packets.. because lazy.
However, your writings are much appreciated here and your abbreviating them because of your hands saddens me. I showed my Ma, because of her eyes, how to use the voice to text on her machines and she and her followers love it. ❤

MY former R Governor who I VOTED FOR TWICE (Dumb bunny = me!) in my former state LIED to us about CCW and he said that he would give it to us if the state highway patrol and the FOP 'agreed' to give us PEONS IN SLAVE-LANDIA ccw. Great Lakes state - in the boonies - farm - lake area. I thought that he was telling us OLD FASHIONED, FISCAL CONSERVATIVES aka Rs with a Libertarian slant the truth. Shame on me for being DUMB and a SUCKER and thinking that HE WAS TELLING US THE TRUTH!

Yeah, like HE CAN GIVE US A GOD GIVEN RIGHT plus having it backed up by the Bill of Rights/Constitution, etc.! LOL

IT was nothing but a LIE because the HEAD OF THE FOP and the state highway patrol did NOT want CCW - period!

I can't FIND, LOOK or REPEAT ALL OF THE GUN AND OTHER POLITICAL STUFF now with all of the other states AND my former state. Some of it IS on this forum somewhere and on OLD long gone boards and forums.

PLUS there is such a FINE LINE with gun and gun politics - it is NOT allowed on THIS NW FIREARM FORUM according to the RULES.

WE were jacked around for years by HIM - R Governor and other R and D politicians only the R ones kept on making PROMISES to us - OLD FASHIONED fiscal conservatives - PRO RKBA people like me no matter how hard we fought.

WE were one of the LAST - REMAINING TOP 7 ANTI CCW STATES in the nation. There were some out west - that IS a fact during that time frame and not just in the Great Lakes region and some back on the east coast but I can't rattle those ones off now. Late 90's is the time frame that I am talking about now - late 90's to 2002 for sure! I used to know them all by heart - rattle those other states off and their governors in those states but I can't do it now.

Two out west - my mind is thinking maybe NM was one of them but do NOT hold me to this for that TIME IN HISTORY. Thank you! I am talking about 20 some years ago if not more - a VERY specific time frame now.

Long after my late husband died in our former house that we built AND after I moved out west (Montana or back to the East Coast from the Great Lakes region - my late husband's home state but I lived there for over 30 years.) by several years - CCW was passed in that former state of mine by a D Governor. There is an old former R who was against it years ago (Former AG?) and HE still hates it NOW as a big shot R in that state!

Some Rs do REALLY, really hate PRO RKBA issues for the masses just as much as Some Ds hate PRO RKBA issues too. DO NOT trust an INITIAL and when a party keeps on repeating what THEY WANT TO DO IN GUN RIGHTS - BELIEVE THEM!

When a party out here even in MT says one thing about GUNS and in other VALID issues that are VERY important to this state and SOVEREIGN NATION, sigh, turns around and talks about hunting most of the time, is afraid or ASHAMED to discuss the SECOND or self defense PLUS brings up awarding some things to illegal aliens DUE TO NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, bla and bla - many MT people and I CAN TELL YOU what lying sack of dung is speaking out of a MT Rs MOUTH and that goes for the OTHER SIDE - Ds mouth too!

Calls and old letters have proven those facts. Even my MT born and raised husband will tell you this and not just a transplanted lady like me who eventually ended up marrying again from being a widow.

A man on here who is from another state (Texas!) and who moved to MT, a close friend of ours, even had the same R man - Politician say something to him at a gun show on how much is he FOR the Second. And yet, that lying politician is the SAME MAN who was ready to JUMP ON THE RED FLAG LAWS and in other things that Trump and some Dems and some Reps wanted! Plus tons more which I am NOT allowed to discuss here.

So the LAST CAMPAIGN even showed these facts. The same words in THEIR ADS, out of their MOUTHS and IN PERSON when it comes to GUNS and gun issues were spoken about by some Rs and some Ds just like you HEAR and read NOW - some on this forum, some on the news, some by very specific groups including the MILLION MOMS from years ago, Bloomberg groups HERE in MT and all over the country and even at our state capitol in HELENA, RELIGIOUS LEADERS, some other GUN owners who are born/raised MT people and by some transplants.

ALL a person has to do is READ, pay attention, listen and look at news, various forums, news websites from ALL SOURCES and so called GUN GROUPS to see what they have said and done or NOT when it comes to the true meaning of the Second Amendment and the God Given Right to self preservation given to us and BACKED UP by the laws of THIS LAND.

The SECOND is not about hunting, plinking, competition or hiking.

It is what it says - plain and simple. Self preservation is nothing to be ashamed of speaking about or believing whether it comes to a crazy, senile, control freak tyrant, king or queen - a whacked out government or in a home invasion - kidnapping and threat of being murdered by a dirty rotten dirt bag - cold blooded KILLER.

Old Lady Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads