JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is all about her getting elected in 2016. There was also something said yesterday about her putting off a transportation bill that would add 1.50 or 2.00 per gallon of gas until after the elections.

That's kind of where I was going with this. I'm not saying gun control is off the table in 2016 by any means, but I am wondering if she is considering political strategy for re-election in 2016. And I wonder if that strategy is to, temporarily, have the legislature dial back the gun control talk. This legislature did piss off some folks, other than just gun owners this year, so they may stand to lose some key seats in 2016 if they're not careful. Even though they could really slam through any gun control bill they want in 2016, I suspect she wants to tone it down. These folks often think in the long term - they may not have to pass anything in 2016 if they have reason to believe they can wait and do it in 2017, away from the elections. And, if the voting patterns of Oregonians don't change dramatically in 2016, we can expect 2017 to be worse yet.

Political strategy is far more complex than 'get everything you can at every possible step'. It takes sometimes time and patience. We did not get where we are in this country overnight. It took time, lots of time, decades actually, to 'fundamentally transform' us into a nation of wusses that are too afraid to even consider defending themselves or their country.

Last Edited:
She may be smarter than I thought. She want's to be elected in the next election. She does not need to alienate any gun owner voters. Burdick and Prozanski will take on that task.
^^This was my first thought.

She is a politician first - staying in power comes before getting more laws passed. She'll let someone else pay the majority of the political capital so she can get elected. She saw the reaction to the BGC law, and she doesn't want that to happen to her in the next election where she can't pull any crap to avoid it like they did with the recalls.

She may be smarter than I thought. She want's to be elected in the next election. She does not need to alienate any gun owner voters. Burdick and Prozanski will take on that task.

This is why it is very important for those who live in those districts to work and do everything they can to make sure Burdick and Prozanski are not re-elected. That will send the biggest signal to Brown and others in the legislature about what happens to gun grabbers who run for office.

Last Edited:
I hope you guys send that Bish packin in 2016!!!!

I hope so too, though in my opinion, it is critically more important that we focus here in OR in getting rid of their majority control in the house and senate. While the governor position is important, it is people like Prozanski and Burdick that are bigger enemies to liberty for those that wish to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. We need to identify every legislator that barely won and find a way to get them replaced in 2016. People like Chuck Riley who barely won their seat against a good pro-gun candidate - and only with Bloomberg money to get him there - need to go.

This is why it is very important for those who live in those districts to work and do everything they can to make sure Burdick and Prozanski are not re-elected. That will send a bigger signal to Brown and other legislatures about what happens to gun grabbers who run for office than anything else.

It was frustrating to see the recalls go down, but not surprising considering the forces working against them. We can hope that those recall efforts helped get the word out and maybe woke some people up that may not have cared or been aware of the consequences of either voting for the anti-gun folks or failing to vote at all.

It was frustrating to see the recalls go down, but not surprising considering the forces working against them. We can hope that those recall efforts helped get the word out and maybe woke some people up that may not have cared or been aware of the consequences of either voting for the anti-gun folks or failing to vote at all.

So there is nothing anyone can do to get the SOS to recount? By God if the Shoe was on the other foot it would surely happen!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

So there is nothing anyone can do to get the SOS to recount? By God if the Shoe was on the other foot it would surely happen!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I believe OFF looked into it, but there was no recourse apparently to demand a page by page hand count. It appears that tool is only available for elections, not recalls. We have a chance here in OR to put a decent SOS in place in 2016, I can only hope the voters of Oregon are smart enough to do it.

I agree, but I think it is much more difficult to do a recall than to not re-elect someone.

I believe I read that 2016 is a short legislative session so there may be very limited if any gun legislation BUT the same article said they are already gearing up for the 2017 session to pass more gun laws on the law abiding.

I believe I read that 2016 is a short legislative session so there may be very limited if any gun legislation BUT the same article said they are already gearing up for the 2017 session to pass more gun laws on the law abiding.

If they do put off any gun control bills until 2017 I can't help but wonder what the real numbers were on the recall efforts.

Polls are showing growing support for gun ownership and freedom to carry

bubblegum the polls. I'm tired of the argument of public opinion. That's the definition of a democracy, the 51% can vote to take away rights of the 49%. We need to ensure the republic (rule of law & individual rights over legislative fiat & public good) remains & stop this boiling frogs scenario of incremental encroachment of liberty.

The argument for gun control is the same as civil rights in the 60's. Said group can't be trusted with various liberties (voting, firearms/self defense, etc.) We need to reframe the "argument" as that of civil rights.

Last Edited:
Another group that should be with pro 2A is coders & internet security analysts/ developers, specifically those into encryption coding. As there's been a push in recent years to label encryption code as "Arms" & for its inclusion in ITAR regulated items. If they could be convinced of the threat is to everyone's liberty, not just firearms it would be a great alliance.

Thoughts??

Well, all the anti-gun lobbyists have been in full court press mode, in order to capitalize on the Umpqua shootings. And they are definitely lobbying for major new guns laws. Members of the state legislature are being bombarded with cards and letters calling for gun control. Bloomberg and his cronies are certainly not letting up in funding this lobbying. They see this tragedy as an opportunity to forward their agenda.

The Governor really has no control over the legislative process. If a bill should get through the legislature, I just can't see her issuing a Veto.

The fact that they are holding a hearing before the legislative session even starts, is a clear sign to me that they will try to get something through in 2016, despite the short legislative session.

In August of 2014 Prozanski said that getting mandatory background checks past would be his #1 priority in the 2015 legislative session. And look at what happened.

My guess is that she will talk to the rest of her party and have them not put forward one all encompassing gun control bill, but rather many smaller bills. Then she will do exactly what old "Moonbeam" has been doing down in the PDRK; sign most and veto a few. That way, during the election, she can pander not only to the progressives, but also to the "nobody needs an assault weapon", "shotguns are all you need", "BCG's are common sense, I have nothing to hide" and "who needs a large capacity clip for hunting deer?" gun owners. She will then proudly say "I support the 2A, look how I vetoed all of those overreaching gun control bills".

If this strategy works and she gets elected, rinse and repeat until Oregon is worse than the PDRK.

Ray

My guess is that she will talk to the rest of her party and have them not put forward one all encompassing gun control bill, but rather many smaller bills. Then she will do exactly what old "Moonbeam" has been doing down in the PDRK; sign most and veto a few. That way, during the election, she can pander not only to the progressives, but also to the "nobody needs an assault weapon", "shotguns are all you need", "BCG's are common sense, I have nothing to hide" and "who needs a large capacity clip for hunting deer?" gun owners. She will then proudly say "I support the 2A, look how I vetoed all of those overreaching gun control bills".

If this strategy works and she gets elected, rinse and repeat until Oregon is worse than the PDRK.

Ray

You may be right about that.

bubblegum the polls. I'm tired of the argument of public opinion. That's the definition of a democracy, the 51% can vote to take away rights of the 49%. We need to ensure the republic (rule of law & individual rights over legislative fiat & public good) remains & stop this boiling frogs scenario of incremental encroachment of liberty.

The argument for gun control is the same as civil rights in the 60's. Said group can't be trusted with various liberties (voting, firearms/self defense, etc.) We need to reframe the "argument" as that of civil rights.

So that's what that means... I always wondered why everyone was talking about "bubblegum". Haha.

I wonder if you put a properly chewed piece of bubblegum on the nozzle of an air hose . . . Nnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

Why can't I get the vision out of my mind????

Sheldon

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads