JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife spotted this article and passed it along to me. Is the non-elected Governor Brown beginning to get the message that maybe, just maybe, gun control may be toxic to her re-election campaign? Read the article below and see what you think:

<broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Newly released emails show how Governor Kate Brown and her top advisors reacted starting just minutes after the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College.

As early as the night of the shooting, Brown's team weighed taking a forceful position on gun control, suggesting she use the line, "We must act now to stop this carnage." The governor and her team ultimately decided against it.

The governor's staff was flooded almost immediately with emails requesting information and offering help – including dozens of emails from journalists, state and federal lawmakers, and leaders at other state agencies.

The emails and handwritten notes were obtained by KGW through a public records request filed shortly after the shooting on October 1.

Brown was first alerted to the shooting at 10:54 a.m., roughly 20 minutes after gunman Christopher Harper-Mercer opened fire. Several minutes later, the governor's public safety adviser received a terse email from an official at the state's law enforcement training agency.

"We have some folks here for training who just received a report of an active shooter at Umpqua Community College. No further at this time," the email said.

At 11:09 a.m., the governor's chief of staff Brian Shipley received an email from a Department of Human Services employee with the ominous subject line, "Critical Situation in Roseburg."

"A gunman on campus," the email said. "Multiple ambulances at the campus. Reports indicated 20 people 'down' at present with the gunman reported 'down' as well."

Brown's office was inundated with interview requests from local and national media outlets, including NBC News, Fox News, The New York Times and others.

Many of the questions focused on details of the shooting, but journalists also wanted to ask about gun control.

Brown's initial public comments did not mention gun control, but internal emails show her communications team discussed taking a strong stance on guns during a press conference the day after the shooting.

At 9:15 p.m. on the day of the shooting, communications director Kristen Grainger typed out a series of talking points in preparation for the upcoming press conference.

Among her suggestions were the following lines: "There is not one solution that will prevent every shooting, but we must do better to prevent senseless gun violence," and "We have a moral imperative to do more to protect our children or we are sacrificing them to gun laws made by the gun lobby – we must act now to stop this carnage."

Grainger said later that everyone was very emotional after the shooting. Her the team discussed bringing up gun control, but ultimately Brown decided the timing was not appropriate.

"It was the governor's preference that we really focus on the community and that's what we did," Grainger said in an interview.

Brown does not have plans to spearhead any gun control legislation during the 2016 legislative session, according to Grainger. She will, however, talk with lawmakers about funding programs to continue supporting the UCC campus and the greater Roseburg community as they heal from the shooting.

One of the first offers of assistance came from Connecticut state officials. Within four hours of the shooting several people from the state wrote Shipley to offer help from people who responded to the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

"We learned many lessons as we responded to and recovered from our situation and we are all at the ready to support and assist you at any time," wrote Dora Schriro, the commissioner of Connecticut's Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.

Schriro offered up resources from the state's crime lab, state police and emergency management agency.

Brown wrote herself a handwritten note asking how Connecticut Governor Daniel Malloy dealt with the Sandy Hook shooting. The two later spoke on the phone about the shooting, according to Grainger.

It's not clear if state agencies took up Connecticut on any of their initial offers, although a team of mental health counselors from around the country known as a "blue team" did respond to Roseburg to provide counseling to victims, families and community members.

"The 'blue team' was very helpful to the community," Grainger said.

Grainger said that crime victim's assistance experts also came from other Oregon counties to assist their colleagues in Douglas County.

Brown and her staff received condolence notes from a diverse group of people, including several governors and international officials.

In addition to notes from Connecticut, the governors of Alaska, Colorado, and Virginia.

"As we both know only too well, there are no words that can make the hurt and shock lessen but I just wanted you to know that I have and will continue to lift up the families and loves ones of the victims in prayer," wrote Alaska Governor Bill Walker.

Brown also received notes from the Acting Consul General of Vietnam, who had recently been in Oregon for a business development trip, and from the head of world track and field governing body.

"I am sending my deepest sympathies on behalf of the Athletics family and my thoughts go out to all of those who were affected in this tragic event," wrote Sebastian Coe, the president of the IAAF.

I want to be very cautious in not reading too much into the above story. But this is quite possibly the very first time I've seen anything out of Salem since Gov. Kate took office that may show some kind of positive news for us. She won't spearhead any new gun legislation, but that's not to say that someone else like Prozanski won't - and based on his recent announcement, we can probably expect he'll be going after it.

Thoughts??

Bad news... See OFF email alert from yesterday http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...5b546&ch=56bc3630-7dd8-11e3-8319-d4ae5275b546

The attempted bubblegum rape has begun. Or at least planning to begin when session starts. G-damn bubblegums, can't bubbleguming leave honest people alone!

Yeah, I posted a thread about that alert yesterday - it's why I mentioned Prozanski in the post above.

The question is whether or not the Gov. and Prozanski are on the same page. It would seem likely that they are, but maybe the Gov. sees things differently since it's an election year. I'm trying to be optimistic in a state where there's not much to be had.

She may be smarter than I thought. She want's to be elected in the next election. She does not need to alienate any gun owner voters. Burdick and Prozanski will take on that task.

She may be smarter than I thought. She want's to be elected in the next election. She does not need to alienate any gun owner voters. Burdick and Prozanski will take on that task.

And even if they take it on, they still need her to sign it into law. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Oh, she will sign it, it is the will of the legislature and therefore the people. She sure as heck won't veto it.

While I agree that's the most likely scenario - but look at the story above. Her responses as noted above do say something. Maybe, just maybe, she is seeing what so many in her party are refusing to acknowledge - that people realize gun control and gun free zones are not working. Polls are showing growing support for gun ownership and freedom to carry. Politicians live and die by the polls. If she has begun to actually pay attention to the absolute failure that is gun control, and maybe also recognizes the near 0% compliance with SB941, perhaps they will try to look for another solution.

Again, it's just me trying to be optimistic. We've had enough bad news this year, I'm ready to find anything that may be positive.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought perhaps the Oregon Democrat Legislature was having it's annual Christmas, oops, I mean Non Offensive Halal Approved Holiday Festival Party, and that there was a terrible fruitcake accident and only Betsy Johnson survived...

We are going to get bent over in 2016, and they are all out of KY. Get mad. Stay mad. Organize and vote. Make them pay.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought perhaps the Oregon Democrat Legislature was having it's annual Christmas, oops, I mean Non Offensive Halal Approved Holiday Festival Party, and that there was a terrible fruitcake accident and only Betsy Johnson survived...

We are going to get bent over in 2016, and they are all out of KY. Get mad. Stay mad. Organize and vote. Make them pay.

Well, we could only hope....

Mad...I'm already mad :mad: And yes, I will be working against them in 2016 come election time, even more so if they go for more gun control.

She's not stupid, she wants to be Oregon's elected governor... And due to her aspirations, she'll play nice until elected...

Remember her predecessor, yea he was re-elected during a scandal involving his live in girlfriend...

No faith in Oregonians, as a whole, having any sense whatsoever...

Kinda explains Floyd and his ilk, doesn't it???

Edited for spelling, darn autocorrect!!!

Last Edited:
Gather rainbows if you like. It is not going to be good. They have the votes and liberals have no qualms about forcing their beliefs down your throat.

No one's gathering rainbows. Politics can throw curve balls based on a lot of different factors. I'm simply not going to so quickly dismiss the comments made in the story above.

Think about it - she knows for a fact that she has the votes - they control both houses. So WHY we she give a rat's backside what anyone thinks on our side? Why not just ram the gun control message through and damn the consequences? It doesn't make sense and it doesn't fit their MO. I think there must be something more to it, something restraining her.

So, call it gathering rainbows if you must, but we need to pay close attention to developments like this. There may be something we miss.

I read that to say she's not "spearheading" any new gun control bills, but that sure as hell doesn't mean she won't sign bills spearheaded by her liberal cronies. Anyone who thinks we'll come out of the next session unscathed is dreaming. My guess is you'll see bans similar to California, or worse.

I read that to say she's not "spearheading" any new gun control bills, but that sure as hell doesn't mean she won't sign bills spearheaded by her liberal cronies. Anyone who thinks we'll come out of the next session unscathed is dreaming. My guess is you'll see bans similar to California, or worse.

Who is saying we'll come out unscathed? I know I've not said that. I addressed the 'spearheading' comment in my OP above. I do think we need to pay close attention to what's going on in Salem, but with folks simply saying "we're screwed, it's over", it's hard to have a conversation where something else may happen. I'm not expecting we're off the hook, not even close. But maybe we'll get lucky and they won't dig as deep as we expect.

Do not forget, 2016 is an election year. And let's be very clear, they barely have the majority. And that majority managed to piss some folks off this year, and not just gun folks. They may be stupid, but they're not stupid enough to completely ignore the reality of public sentiment, especially in an election year.

So for the folks that have basically given up, there's not much to say. If there is no chance whatsoever, then I guess we're wasting our time even talking about it here. This fight is not over. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm looking at this as a long-haul fight.

No one's gathering rainbows. Politics can throw curve balls based on a lot of different factors. I'm simply not going to so quickly dismiss the comments made in the story above.

Think about it - she knows for a fact that she has the votes - they control both houses. So WHY we she give a rat's backside what anyone thinks on our side? Why not just ram the gun control message through and damn the consequences? It doesn't make sense and it doesn't fit their MO. I think there must be something more to it, something restraining her.

So, call it gathering rainbows if you must, but we need to pay close attention to developments like this. There may be something we miss.
OK. I grant you it is worth watching. Giv brown in ca has repeatedly NOT signed bills that he could have so who knows. I would not forbare

we need to get Richardson elected to Browns old post so he can uncover voter corruption and if she wins she can be impeached. Simple LOL:p

Watch his video. This would be a great backdoor to go after the gun grabbers as they are all involved in the Kitsslober corruption and that's what Dennis Richardson is going to uncover. With libs all working on defense they will have little time for gun control. We need to ban together on this.

http://dennisrichardson.com/

Last Edited:
If your not active, not vocal, not in their faces and not supporting financially... Then me thinks you just need to be quiet and take whatever you are given...

Grandma used to say a tiger never changes their stripes and a leopard never changes their spots...

The ancestors from the old country really understood things that get by their grandchildren and great grandchildren....

I think this is all about her getting elected in 2016. There was also something said yesterday about her putting off a transportation bill that would add 1.50 or 2.00 per gallon of gas until after the elections.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top