JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My father passed away about a year and a half ago and left behind a large-ish collection of firearms (150 or so). My brother and I have inventoried and secured the guns and I think we want to keep a few but certainly not all of them. I started to do some research on pricing them out and selling them off but it's overwhelming. I'm not familiar enough with many of them to even coming close to figuring out what the values should be and even if I was it's going to take forever to sell that many in WA with the way our person to person transfers work now. What do people do in this situation? Take to a FFL? Just power through it and hope for the best? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Take it to a Bass pro so they can offer you ten cents on the dollar. Not really. You could try posting a list of see if anything jumps out at anyone. The most money would come from one at a time sales but the fastest would be all at once on the cheap. Not much help, I know.

Some larger stores will buy a collection. You're probably looking at taking home 30-40-% of their worth at best. But, you get it all taken care of at once.

What I would do is take maybe 10 at a time and focus on valuing those 10 the best you can and them see what the market is like. 10 here, 10 there, and it should slowly accomplish the goal.

List the cream on here armslist and gun broker. You can lot them out to the LGS who are willing. Keep good records of what goes where and check in regularly on whats sold.

Sherwood Cabela's Gun Library would buy just about the whole collection from you but will have to call and make an appointment.
You would make more from selling them individually but if you wish to offload a ton of them at once I can not think of a faster way.
While I was there it was not uncommon to buy a collection of 100 guns at one time.

I guess I don't mind posting 5 or 10 at a time but I almost need someone to look at the list and say "sell these ones first", and then these ones. etc. There are a bunch of old Colt pistols and a large amount of revolvers that I simply know nothing about. Things like Mod 19-2 or 19-4 don't mean anything to me. This would have been easy if dad just collected Glocks and 1911s.

I guess I don't mind posting 5 or 10 at a time but I almost need someone to look at the list and say "sell these ones first", and then these ones. etc. There are a bunch of old Colt pistols and a large amount of revolvers that I simply know nothing about. Things like Mod 19-2 or 19-4 don't mean anything to me. This would have been easy if dad just collected Glocks and 1911s.

See if you can post the list here. Im sure many people will give you offers or tell you what you have.

P.S. Any early import AK's or SP1's let me know

It really depends on how much time and work you are willing put in. Handing everything over in a quick sale will be quick and easy but bending over in the cash department. Doing the research and selling yourself will be more profitable but more time consuming and difficult. Maybe a combination would be a good balance for you.

Be patient.

Learn about the guns you have (you might find some are super rare and decide to keep it or at least know what you have to sell).

Sell one or three at a time and don't be in a hurry. Or maybe list one a week after doing the research on it.

Don't get in a hurry because you will either loose out on a cash cow or sell something you may find you want to keep in the family.

There is a lot of pride in my firearms and I hope my grandkids won't sell them. They RARELY loose value and depending on the gun and the climate they almost increase in value - they are literal gold and can be sold during panic buying times like now for 2-3 times what they are worth other years.

These days selling guns is a big fat hassle.
I'd probably just sell them here in small groups or one at a time over the course of a year or so.

There's the rub. You can post pics of them and ask for advice on what they're worth and members will back channel through a private message to you if there's an interest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top