JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I don't mind posting 5 or 10 at a time but I almost need someone to look at the list and say "sell these ones first", and then these ones. etc. There are a bunch of old Colt pistols and a large amount of revolvers that I simply know nothing about. Things like Mod 19-2 or 19-4 don't mean anything to me. This would have been easy if dad just collected Glocks and 1911s.

I'm sure you could contract with someone to come to the house and provide you an estimate and details for each gun. It may be a 2 day process based on what you said the volume was, but could be worth it in the long run.

Like other things, some collectors would see the value in a 19-2 vs a 19-4, and without someone(s) knowledge, or educating yourself, you could miss out on what's real money vs. market value.

I'd start by going to the gunshop(s) your father frequented and start asking for help there.

And what is happening when you receive a multiple offers on the same firearm? A bidding war. :s0092:

That is why you list a gun with a price tag is in the forum rules.

If listed here, he'd have to provide a solid price.

If he goes to Gunbroker or Gunsamerica, he can have them sold as an auction.

If listed here, he'd have to provide a solid price.

If he goes to Gunbroker or Gunsamerica, he can have them sold as an auction.

That is my understanding as well.

I'm not sure the OP would want to start a 150 threads on "What is this gun worth?" and then follow up with a for sale ad, and even that may be considered a back door auction.

Some good ideas on here. We are for sure going to keep some of them but the vast majority will be sold. I guess I can pick a few, research them, and then try to sell and see how that goes. At least that way I can see how time consuming the process might be.

Take some good pics of just one firearm and post it on Armslist with a "best offered price" in the ad.
Don't post your phone number and see what happens.

I don't want to break any rules on the forum or State and Federal laws. I'm genuinely seeking ideas for selling them without it becoming a full time job for me but at the same time getting a decent value for them.

My father passed away about a year and a half ago and left behind a large-ish collection of firearms (150 or so). My brother and I have inventoried and secured the guns and I think we want to keep a few but certainly not all of them. I started to do some research on pricing them out and selling them off but it's overwhelming. I'm not familiar enough with many of them to even coming close to figuring out what the values should be and even if I was it's going to take forever to sell that many in WA with the way our person to person transfers work now. What do people do in this situation? Take to a FFL? Just power through it and hope for the best? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Your ONLY option is to sell it all to me.... for what your dad told your mom he paid (not what he actually paid).

;):D

You can find a trusted FFL to do consignment on them a handful at a time for 20% of sale price. Maybe someone your dad did business with. Or contract someone who is high on knowledge and low on work a flat fee to appraise them and you can sell at your own pace.

Some good ideas on here. We are for sure going to keep some of them but the vast majority will be sold. I guess I can pick a few, research them, and then try to sell and see how that goes. At least that way I can see how time consuming the process might be.

This ^^

A lot of good advice by others.

Personally, I would divide them up by type, manufacturer, so on - say S&W revolvers, hunting bolt action, older lever action, military collectables, possible antiques, modern and so on.

Then select one of those categories, get some feedback on a set of say 5-10 firearms, then put those up for sale.

One thing I would not do unless you are willing to leave the ad up for a long time, is sell them only as a lot (i.e., requiring the buyer purchase them all together). Selling a lot like that really narrows down the buyers and may result in less $ than selling them individually.

Truthfully, take pictures and post here. If the prices are competative lots of that collection will sell. You can also go the consignment route which is also a realistic approach.

And what is happening when you receive a multiple offers on the same firearm? A bidding war. :s0092:

That is why you list a gun with a price tag is in the forum rules.
If someone offers you a price and you say "yes "or "no" how is that a bidding war. Your assuming he will do something. This is the same logic of the "thought police" enforcing laws that do not make sense.

Great suggestions, OR sell the whole lot to a small FFL. I know of several FFLs that have bought several collections. Yes, you will not be getting top $$ but you also are not meeting 125 people over the next 28 months to do privet party transfers. Document all that you have then open that whole lot up for bid, or just talk to multiple FFLs and see what they are willing to offer.

Research and patience wins the race. Don't let dad turn in his grave by selling too cheap or without prejudice.
Gunbroker is your best bet after researching them.
I am close to you, would love to help!!:D
Consignment works well, too, and many people here will help you.

Now, the names like Winchester, Colt, High Standard, should really get full attention.

There is an auctioneer in the mid valley who has had gun auctions that I thought went very good. His name is Rocky, I can see if he is still doing it if you are interested.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top