JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, the delica is a sabre grind. I would call the Gayle Bradley a hollow grind though because the grind goes up the majority of the blade vs. the delica.
View attachment 1193200
the chisel and convex are pretty much the only grinds we did on medical instruments. osteotomes are convex because they are much less prone to getting pinched and stuck in a bone. much like wood, its much more enclined to cleave apart and bisect the cutting line or bounce back out after tapping on the back. amputation knives were about the only thing that took a some what "regular" grind. i want to say they were hollow ground. cant recall exactly. check out the aesculap and V.Mueller online pdf's if interested. (or before they are taken down due to (no) right to repair trade secret type bs)

How about a boker kalashnikov in XXL size? An automatic Bowie knife with 4.75" blade. Holy moly that thing is huge. d2 steel. Would be a good EDC when hunting elephants with a 4 bore rifle. :p
A0F0193B-DC23-462B-B336-BB43FE6B4F1A.png
90A4774B-E13C-4454-A88C-3DA65FA208AE.png

Last Edited:
What do you guys think about CPM S30v? Seems like it's close to M390 in performance? I just ordered a boker strike automatic yesterday in S30V. Couldn't resist a reliable auto knife in S30V for $65 shipped. Seems like good value. I really like my Boker strike in D2 and I didn't know they make one in s30v. Only drawback with these and kalashnikovs is the anodizing comes off the Al grips over time. The kalashnikovs have a reputation for being crazy long lasting (knife I mean, not edge retention).
9DBD39AF-854D-4707-8A9A-D3A6CEB2B12E.jpeg
46BFE03E-5787-4E71-A61A-1BA2C82FD0D7.jpeg

I view S30v or its slightly tweaked variants of S35v and S45v (only small changes to its makeup so I lump them basically all together) to be the new "Chevy" of the cutlery world. It has basically become the standard for a good quality knife steel. 10 years ago it was called a super steel by a lot of companies, now it is just an average steel that gets the job done and sets the bar for entry on how a knife steel should perform. The biggest knock I have on the steel is that it can be a pain to get the wire edge removed when sharpening if the heat treat was less than ideal.

You could view S30v/S35v/S45v as the gate keeper between budget models and mid-tier models.

What do you guys think about CPM S30v? Seems like it's close to M390 in performance? I just ordered a boker strike automatic yesterday in S30V. Couldn't resist a reliable auto knife in S30V for $65 shipped. Seems like good value. I really like my Boker strike in D2 and I didn't know they make one in s30v. Only drawback with these and kalashnikovs is the anodizing comes off the Al grips over time. The kalashnikovs have a reputation for being crazy long lasting (knife I mean, not edge retention).
View attachment 1195479
View attachment 1195480
S30v IMO is not equivalent to M390/204p/20CV its a middle of the road knife steel and IMO the entry level for a good knife steel. M390 and its contingents are some of the best knife steels for EDC balancing good edge retention with ease of sharpening. M4 s90 and s110 will hold an edge longer but are way more of a pain in the bubblegum to sharpen.

Anybody else notice that the hardcore spyderco guys are really obsessed with these knives? This knife came up for sale this morning and sold out in a few hours.
57D49361-AE14-41FD-9F5E-951AD183D7EE.png
9CED80CD-B2A6-4AEF-AAAF-D122F08E6968.png
Also I noticed on another forum they have some new mini knife coming out and poster after poster was like, "can't wait wish I could order right now". I can't understand it because I can't understand waiting for the "next product reveal". But they are willing to buy up everything that comes out, even before it comes out. And get in line to do it. Wow talk about customer loyalty.

I do have to say I'm very impressed with my first spyderco. I've been breaking it in and purposely not cleaning off the metal debris/dust/grit from opening and closing to allow some wear. Today I cleaned off every speck around the hinge and man it's smooth and precise. I'm impressed for sure. Blade wise it has also been very impressive.

Anybody else notice that the hardcore spyderco guys are really obsessed with these knives? This knife came up for sale this morning and sold out in a few hours.
View attachment 1196395
View attachment 1196398
Also I noticed on another forum they have some new mini knife coming out and poster after poster was like, "can't wait wish I could order right now". I can't understand it because I can't understand waiting for the "next product reveal". But they are willing to buy up everything that comes out, even before it comes out. And get in line to do it. Wow talk about customer loyalty.

I do have to say I'm very impressed with my first spyderco. I've been breaking it in and purposely not cleaning off the metal debris/dust/grit from opening and closing to allow some wear. Today I cleaned off every speck around the hinge and man it's smooth and precise. I'm impressed for sure. Blade wise it has also been very impressive.
I was one of those guys for many years. It is more about the success of obtaining, then the knife itself. You get tired of racing to fill out your order and submit before everyone else just to get another variation on a knife you already have in a different color or blade steel. Not to mention the popular drops crash company websites frequently making their own mess. I have spent the last couple years off loading a substantial part of my collection as I got tired of all that capital tied up in the knife safe doing nothing except for the occasional fondling.

I clicked on that specific knife this morning and almost purchased one. I ended up passing in the end as it isn't the configuration I want and I have enough M4 steel in the knife drawer. The Shaman platform itself is awesome though and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a folder that is rock solid and can take some abuse if needed. It is still a great cutter also for its size and blade thickness.

I was one of those guys for many years. It is more about the success of obtaining, then the knife itself. You get tired of racing to fill out your order and submit before everyone else just to get another variation on a knife you already have in a different color or blade steel. Not to mention the popular drops crash company websites frequently making their own mess. I have spent the last couple years off loading a substantial part of my collection as I got tired of all that capital tied up in the knife safe doing nothing except for the occasional fondling.

I clicked on that specific knife this morning and almost purchased one. I ended up passing in the end as it isn't the configuration I want and I have enough M4 steel in the knife drawer. The Shaman platform itself is awesome though and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a folder that is rock solid and can take some abuse if needed. It is still a great cutter also for its size and blade thickness.
I'm just happy my knife can finally do the spidey flick. The cleaning did most of the work. Then I put some molybdenum disulfide on there, worked it a few times, then added eezox and worked it quite a bit, then removed everything. So now it's dry and extremely slick. I know there is some residual moly inside there though and that is what I want actually. Don't want it to be "wet" to attract any dirt or abrasives but still a bit there to do it's thing.

Last Edited:

That makes sense and seems to hit the collectors vibe out there for those knives (that I have noticed anyway).

I like the budget boker auto knives so far. Not in same category as spyderco and high end knives of course. Cheap enough to be a toy and fun to play with (fidget factor I guess) and use. But the problem may be that they are like subarus or Toyota's. They don't break therefore there is no reason to upgrade (kidding!, kind of ;)). Cold steel seems to be another budget brand that makes very interesting knives and appear to be well built. Civivi (Weknife) too but a fraction of the range of knives that cold steel has. In terms of guns maybe these budget but good brand knives are kind of like Ruger, S&W, Walther, in contrast to the high end guns such as HK.

Saw this CJRB feldspar carbon fiber knife on Amazon for $50. Looks nice but I don't know anything about the company or the steel (AR-RPM9).
F574177A-0A05-42DC-A4BB-03E8C77BB0DC.jpeg
1365B620-3424-4F90-B764-01B9B33EEBEE.jpeg

Edit: found a couple things I don't like about the above knife. Carbon fiber is only a top plate glued to G10, slick sides, no contour like regular feldspar. Sure is purdy though for so little $.

I like this Ritter Hogue mini-rsk. CPM-20CV steel. But at $170 no way I can justify it.
07D7C349-8D40-4AAA-A81B-6B5CC8D4833B.jpeg

Last Edited:
Invented a new meaningless knife test to answer a question that should have never been asked, "how well will it cut a cigar?":p (It's meaningless cuz I could just bite off the pigtail or use an actual cigar cutter).

Anyway Boker tanto blade strike D2 (probably one of worst blade shapes for such delicate work?) - it passed quite well surprisingly. Delicate connecticut shade wrapper cut in a circle to avoid tearing then cut through. Who knew ha ha. :p
922A3ACA-E877-465D-B6A7-DC8C666F585E.jpeg

Never carried a knife - since high school when I had a cheap Italian stiletto. Now, I carry in a Gerber pouch so that anyone sizing me up focuses on "knife" and does not think the small fanny pack has a gun. Anyway, I carry one of the last Japanese Frost Pocket Rocket II folders. I bought two, so...

S30v IMO is not equivalent to M390/204p/20CV its a middle of the road knife steel and IMO the entry level for a good knife steel. M390 and its contingents are some of the best knife steels for EDC balancing good edge retention with ease of sharpening. M4 s90 and s110 will hold an edge longer but are way more of a pain in the bubblegum to sharpen.
I have a Spyderco Native 5 with s35vn and that works pretty well.
I have a Rat 1 and 2 with D-2 and those do pretty good.
The type of steel is not as important as the heat of the steel.
lower end steel can preform better than high end steel with the proper heat treat.

Last Edited:
Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry about your loss. Having lost a couple myself, I know how it feels.
Currently carrying a small pocket-clip Kershaw and it has served satisfactorily, esp. for the money. In your case I'd consider something partially serrated for the box-cutting work... I use an MTECH "USMC" assist-open with 3.25" blade 1.25 serrated edge. Definitely nothing fancy but it works. Got it specifically for the serrations... and if it gets lost, no great deal...

Last Edited:
A few years ago I got caught up in the premium steel, patented opening/lock-up, "Gucci"-spec knife game. I came to realize that there are rapidly diminishing returns on knives from reputable manufacturers once you cross the 60-70$ line.

I still think that the super steels are awesome, but chasing edge retention, toughness, strength, etc…in a pocket knife is only so useful after a point. For me, a pocket knife in 420HC from Buck or Leatherman (especially from Buck) punch well above their weight and are incredibly easy to re-sharpen. Same can be said of other "budget steels" such as 8cr13mov or some old-school 1095.

If you are in a situation where you need your knife to stay razor-sharp after a few hundred cuts through rope, cardboard, zip-ties, etc…then you are probably better off just carrying a razor-blade or box-cutter. After "downgrading" much of my collection, I have yet to encounter a situation where I wish I had a 150-300$ knife in my pocket.

I love my Benchmade Axis autos but that is a company that will never see another dollar from me. If I needed a carry folder I'd be looking at a Spyderco Endura or Delica with an Emerson wave, with a little practice they are faster to deploy than an auto.

Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
My first knife ever was given to me by an old friend/neighbor. It was just a standard buck knife, but lost and found that thing about 3 times sometimes for years on end. I usually knew round about where it went missing.
Finally lost it the last time and have no idea where it went.
Sad for your loss, hopefully you find it again one day. I typically never bring nice knives to work usually because if you leave it or drop it for a second people don't hesitate to take them and keep them.

Hi:

I have carried a Benchmade CLA for three years. I ran a ranch and did a not of the work singlehanded. The auto open allowed me to hold whatever with the left and retrieve and open the knife with the right.

I did a lot of utility jobs with it including prying, cutting wire and other tasks that would have resulted in damage to the knife. No damage except to the pocket clip when I scraped against something and bent it. I literally used this knife everyday.

With respect to a defensive weapon, the opening snap is similar to racking a shotgun. It gets attention and is a threat deterrent.

The Benchmark LifeSharp service was used 2 to 3 times a year. They put an edge on the knife that lasted that long, even under my demanding use. Losing the knife for a week or two was a problem, so I bought another. They also replace the bent clips when necessary - at no charge.

Consider buying from an authorized dealer so there is no risk of buying a counterfeit.

Hope my experiences help you with your decision.

Steve

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads