JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not only do I avoid cheep ammo like the plague, I ONLY buy the most expensive beer and drink a lot of it on season's eve. That way, I guarantee that I have a solid excuse - "did you see how much I was shaking with alcohol poisoning?!!"
@AndyinEverson called it - sight in with the ammo you intend to use, under the conditions you intend to hunt in. You sighted your rifle in June using Privi Partizan ammo, here it is in December and you are wondering why your shots are 10" low....
And finally, practice. If you sucked when sighting it in, you'll suck when you go hunting.

I have no problem hunting with a $17 box of Rem corlokt. Thing is, I've taken it to the range and tested/zeroed it in the gun. No concerns.
Only time I went expensive on ammo was on a bear hunt in Alaska. Figured big hunt should use better ammo.

If you shoot what you bring..... You live with what you shoot!

.375 bullets can run more the a buck easy! Its also not easy to find quality Weatherby ammo that isn't super expensive, so that one requires hand loading from fire formed Holland&Holland brass. Interestingly, .375 H&H quality ammo preforms almost as good, but with out the super stiff recoil of over 55 foot pound to the shoulder!

I have no problem hunting with a $17 box of Rem corlokt. Thing is, I've taken it to the range and tested/zeroed it in the gun. No concerns.
Only time I went expensive on ammo was on a bear hunt in Alaska. Figured big hunt should use better ammo.

While shooting Core-Lockt ammo, 2 times in my .243, I have had miss fires before I quit buying it. But in all fairness, I have been reloading only Hornady ammo now for 6 years. Good luck on yours!
Larry243

.375 bullets can run more the a buck easy! Its also not easy to find quality Weatherby ammo that isn't super expensive, so that one requires hand loading from fire formed Holland&Holland brass. Interestingly, .375 H&H quality ammo preforms almost as good, but with out the super stiff recoil of over 55 foot pound to the shoulder!
378 can't be made from H&H brass. It is a uneque case. I load 117 grains of 3031 as I remember, gives me close to 3200 FPS @ 270 grains and over 6000 ft lbs of energy. Nothing quite compares.

cheap factory ammo is a whole lot more accurate than expensive premium "match" grade ammo that was never sighted in. If you miss at 240 yards, its because you don't know your gun or your ability.

Amen buddy!!!
Amen buddy!!!
ive killed more animals with cheap remington corelokts than any of the ones ive killed with my handloads

i also sight in with the ammo im going to use.

:D

sorry if this happened to you!!
ive killed more animals with cheap remington corelokts than any of the ones ive killed with my handloads

i also sight in with the ammo im going to use.

:D

sorry if this happened to you!!

WHY? .......

Because at the end of the day, not all of us go out with a 40000$ truck, a 1000$ rifle, and 500$ glass. Sometimes, it's a used Dodge, a 300$ Ruger, and a VXI that got pulled off a different rifle. Sometimes, children, bills, food, and gas take the priority over expensive ammo or the time needed to handload.

I get what you are saying Larry, and I'm sorry your .243 choked on the cheap yellow and green. But sometimes why is as simple as because that's what we had when we needed it...

378 can't be made from H&H brass. It is a uneque case. I load 117 grains of 3031 as I remember, gives me close to 3200 FPS @ 270 grains and over 6000 ft lbs of energy. Nothing quite compares.

I'm running .375 Wetherby mag, not .378, basically .375 H&H with the case taper blown out, and the Weatherby shoulder and extra throat blown in, adds about 3 to 5 grains powder capacity, and I pick up a pretty good speed increase, almost 140 fps, but it's the extra energy I wanted, and was willing to pay the price to get there! :)

Because at the end of the day, not all of us go out with a 40000$ truck, a 1000$ rifle, and 500$ glass. Sometimes, it's a used Dodge, a 300$ Ruger, and a VXI that got pulled off a different rifle. Sometimes, children, bills, food, and gas take the priority over expensive ammo or the time needed to handload.

I get what you are saying Larry, and I'm sorry your .243 choked on the cheap yellow and green. But sometimes why is as simple as because that's what we had when we needed it...

For me,
Its all about getting a R.O.I. Time and energy is also important when you have already invested a lot!
Green & Yellow, scare a fellow!

cheap factory ammo is a whole lot more accurate than expensive premium "match" grade ammo that was never sighted in. If you miss at 240 yards, its because you don't know your gun or your ability.

Good analogy but,
Good ammo with cheep guns is much better then Bad ammo with good guns!

Reminds me of a guy I used to hunt with. Not a gun guy at all, just a hunter. He used a beat up commercial mauser in 30-06. He attempted to restock it himself once and left the corners on the forend. Regardless, dude is a straight up killer. He gets his blacktail every year.

We were on our way out and he saw a twig that looked weird or some crap, so he had me stop the rig. He grabs his 2xMauser and walks up an overgrown road. He gets all sneaky looking and this buck spooks. No schit, the dude runs the deer down and caps it from the hip.

He sets his rifle down to admire his buck and Im standing there not knowing whether to schit or go blind because of what I just saw. I pick up his rifle and eject 3 cartridges. One is a 220gr roundnose, one was core-lokt of unknown weight, one was federal blue box of unknown weight.

I says to the guy, "dude, these are all different!" He looks all concerned and says, "I coulda swore they all said 30-06!"

All this as Im standing in $300 boots, $400 camo, $800 binos, $400 rangefinder, $250 pack, $1200 rifle, $500 scope, and three tyranosaurus magnum cartridges, unfired of course, in my gun.

Reminds me of a guy I used to hunt with. Not a gun guy at all, just a hunter. He used a beat up commercial mauser in 30-06. He attempted to restock it himself once and left the corners on the forend. Regardless, dude is a straight up killer. He gets his blacktail every year.

We were on our way out and he saw a twig that looked weird or some crap, so he had me stop the rig. He grabs his 2xMauser and walks up an overgrown road. He gets all sneaky looking and this buck spooks. No schit, the dude runs the deer down and caps it from the hip.

He sets his rifle down to admire his buck and Im standing there not knowing whether to schit or go blind because of what I just saw. I pick up his rifle and eject 3 cartridges. One is a 220gr roundnose, one was core-lokt of unknown weight, one was federal blue box of unknown weight.

I says to the guy, "dude, these are all different!" He looks all concerned and says, "I coulda swore they all said 30-06!"

All this as Im standing in $300 boots, $400 camo, $800 binos, $400 rangefinder, $250 pack, $1200 rifle, $500 scope, and three tyranosaurus magnum cartridges, unfired of course, in my gun.

Now Now,
We all know different ammo always shoots different in every gun... But you are right when you are only 30 feet away!

Remington has always been the gold standard in ammunition in my world. We have 30 Remington cal corelock ammo that my dad bought in the early 50's that still shoots fine. It was never as cheep or inconsistent as something like Federal or even Winchester. RP brass has always been popular with reloaders. I have had trouble with Core locked bullets driven at high velocity coming apart on game when shot at close range but I had the same problem with Hornaday premium bullets prompting my change to Nosler Partitions many years ago. There have been lots of changes in bullet technology in the over 50 years I have been shooting. Today I am partial to Barnes copper bullets after using them in lead free California on boar. They are not inexpensive either (the Noslers used to be 5X what a Hornaday cost) but the small amount of actual shooting done with hunting ammo the cost is minimal.

Remington has always been the gold standard in ammunition in my world. We have 30 Remington cal corelock ammo that my dad bought in the early 50's that still shoots fine. It was never as cheep or inconsistent as something like Federal or even Winchester. RP brass has always been popular with reloaders. I have had trouble with Core locked bullets driven at high velocity coming apart on game when shot at close range but I had the same problem with Hornaday premium bullets prompting my change to Nosler Partitions many years ago. There have been lots of changes in bullet technology in the over 50 years I have been shooting. Today I am partial to Barnes copper bullets after using them in lead free California on boar. They are not inexpensive either (the Noslers used to be 5X what a Hornaday cost) but the small amount of actual shooting done with hunting ammo the cost is minimal.

Well said,
I am the same way with Hoenady products. I am very partial to the SST line for my 6.5 Creedmoor, and my .243 for varmint and smaller game. The problem with a lot of guys is they want to use big Guns for small game. A 220 grain bullet for Coyote's is crazy. Although we do not eat them, one whole side is missing when you shoot them. The same with small Deer. I say, small bullet for small deer.....more to eat. I hunted a whole deer, and want to take it all home.
It was good reading with you!
Larry243

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class