JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys,

So it's the opening day of hunting season, and you have saved and spent your hard earned money for good hunting gear to get that big Bull Elk or that prized 6 point Deer. You have a $800 Hunting Rifle, Camo gear that could hide a Bull Elephant, expensive Sighting equipment that can focus at 1000 yards, and a new $45-$50 thousand dollar truck to get to the best hunting area around. You have spent a ton for Camping or lodging, not to mention all the food and gear needed to make you comfy after dark.

So the morning of hunting starts, and you are on the edge of a ridge that show you your awaited Bull at 240 yds. You Load, Shoot, and watch your prize Bull slick off into the timber because…

You decided to buy $17.00 ammo…..Hello. Your shot was 8" off target and barely got hair. After all the investment would someone buy the cheapest ammo on the shelf. This is not where you cut corners. This is what the hunt is all about… 1 SHOT, ONE KILL.

Do not buy or re-load cheep ammo for you life long hunt….Right
Larry 243

I have no problem hunting with a $17 box of Rem corlokt. Thing is, I've taken it to the range and tested/zeroed it in the gun. No concerns.
Only time I went expensive on ammo was on a bear hunt in Alaska. Figured big hunt should use better ammo.

The best quality ammo has traditionally been handloads. Today, many quality bullets are available in factory guise but in the old days the best bullets had to be loaded. I have been using Nosler partitions for 40 years, long before you Gould buy them in factory loads.

ive killed more animals with cheap remington corelokts than any of the ones ive killed with my handloads

i also sight in with the ammo im going to use.

:D

sorry if this happened to you!!

I always sight in with the ammo I'm going to use for the specific hunt, regardless of the rifle and it's known history! With such an expansive difference in loads, even with the same weight bullet, there can be a dramatic difference in performance. Nothing wrong with Cor-Loked ammo, not the most accurate ammo, but good enough across the board! I use mostly handmade, factory ammo can be super expensive, or very hard to find, plus, for rifles in .30/06, there is so much to be gained in handloading over factory ammo, that it only makes sence to handload hunting ammo for it!

It always makes me feel better when I miss a critter while using the most expensive ammunition available. Heck, if I can't hit it with that stuff it just can't be done!

I would never pollute the bore of a hunting rifle with factory ammo. Unless its the Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 I picked up at wal-mart 20 years ago for $350. Now, with its currently mounted leupold fxII fixed 4x scope, it is allowed only a steady diet of factory Hornady 165gr Interlocks. Its a killer.

Why not just find out what works best in your rifle...And practice with it under the conditions you expect to hunt in....And not worry 'bout who made the ammo , what some ad copy or what someone who tested the ammo in their rifle says?....

Sometimes that might just be the "upper shelf" ammo...or it could just be the same old stuff that's been around for years....Game animals don't care 'bout small groups on paper...Can you get a good hit on the critter under field conditions with the rifle and load you choose?...

What matters most is what works in your rifle...It shouldn't matter what the label says on the box of ammo. :D
Andy

Why not just find out what works best in your rifle...And practice with it under the conditions you expect to hunt in....And not worry 'bout who made the ammo , what some ad copy or what someone who tested the ammo in their rifle says?....

Sometimes that might just be the "upper shelf" ammo...or it could just be the same old stuff that's been around for years....Game animals don't care 'bout small groups on paper...Can you hit the critter under field conditions with the rifle and load you choose?...

What matters most is what works in your rifle...It shouldn't matter what the label says on the box of ammo. :D
Andy
Indeed. Also, Jesus didn't invent 40 round mags for nothin'!

jk

Probably just city jackwagon that got buck fever and yanked his shot.

I'm sorry but unless your shooting at longer ranges ammo doesn't matter. Inside of 300 yards if you miss, YOU missed not the gun, not the ammo.

Ammo is the least of some guys' problems. Rifles not zeroed in, not enough practice from field positions, not familiar with their equipment and the wrong equipment being used in most cases. Knowing ones abilities and limitations is also a factor in making that one shot kill.... I'd use "cheap" ammo, if I knew I could count on it: Meaning it is accurate enough and did its job to take out the vitals on a big game animal. I wouldn't knock a guy that knew how to use his proven hunting rifle and killed big game animals every year with it with store bought remingon corelokts, Federal, Hornady interlocks or Winchester powerpoints.

Sometimes that might just be the "upper shelf" ammo...or it could just be the same old stuff that's been around for years....Game animals don't care 'bout small groups on paper...Can you hit the critter under field conditions with the rifle and load you choose?...

Andy

Amen buddy!!!

Groups don't matter as much as a good zero, but dang if I don't like accurate rifles :D:

hzq5syf.jpg
lAQNcQj.jpg

My 100 year old hunting rifle is't the most accurate around, but she's always zeroed in and ready to go:
OHS2XU1.jpg

1 shot 1 kill works for me...;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews