JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might take a really long time to open for to open as despite the initial detail I saw for testing, it's just one huge Web page with images.

Give it a long wait, it will load.
I'll check this out tonight, looks like a worthwhile read.

HHHHHMMMMM,

Interesting, now I have to throw all my Break Free away...

If I had known of this study 10 years ago when I bought 2 large cans of BF, I woulda' done sompun' different.

But, since I don't leave my guns out in the rain, I guess I'm safe for now.:)

That was an awesome test! Might have to actually give Frog Lube a try now.

I find it's pretty good now i've been using it for about a year+
I've found a few uses round the house for it as well, the smell and lack of petroleum product on indoor stuff, plastic/rubber etc is a big plus. I even used it on some old/cheap drawers we have that don't have runners, just wood on wood :)

I will say get Seal1 instead though. It's practically the same thing but it doesn't set quite as hard, so i use it on trigger mechs/actions etc, i relegated the FL to external parts and anything else that doesn't need anything but a barrier protectant. Also, Seal1 is cheaper :D

I wish there was one outstanding product that was:

1. Not toxic
2. Not expensive
3. Not hard to find
4. Not harmful to paint, wood, plastic or rubber
5. Not controversial - that everyone agrees with

Seal1 seems to fit the 5th point, both FL and Seal1 fit the previous 4 :) with Seal1 being better at point 2.

Awesome research. I use a few products that finished in the middle of the pack and have no intention of changing though. I liked what the guy said...if what you use now works, there is no reason to change. A lot of the outcome on your firearms will be on how you treat them prior to exposure to the elements, and how quickly you take care of them after exposure.

Geeze......now what am I gonna do with 1 & 1/2 quarts of Hoppies #9, several cans, tubes, bottles of Tetra Gun, and a number of partially full misc. stuff (Rem Oil, Marvel Oil, etc.)? Oh well, first a call to Brownells for some Frog Lube......

Amazing research and many thanks to mr.revolverguy for making it available to us.

Now...will my slides run so fast that the next round up won't have time to chamber? If it ain't one thing it' another...LOL

Last Edited:
I've decided to stay with cleaning my guns with Break Free, and lubing my pistols w/Mobil 1 Synthetic.....

and my rifles w/some kind of grease that the military uses.......:confused:.no idea what it is, but it comes in little round plastic tubs w/screw top lids.

This is AMERICA!

MARKETING IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Yeah, i looked into that and other tests/complaints earlier this year, Starship.

Basic finding was a few things and combos there of;

1) People slap it on thick (good) but don't wipe it off - this is possibly because it 'dries' as part of the application process.

2) People use it liberally where they shouldn't, like in firing pin mechs - Treat like oil.

3) If everything gets super cold, yes, it can, depending on how thickly it was applied and wasn't wiped off, cause issues with the firing pin parts/hammer etc.

4) Seal1 is an offshoot by one of the Froglube makers, it doesn't sit as quite a hard paste and i use that on my firing pin/mech areas just in case (even though my guns don't get to 20f even if i'm shooting in those temps)

5) It's a great barrier protectant, i slap it over everything, inside and out, i just make sure to clean it off correctly :)

I still love me some Liberal Tears

tears_zpseb5c8753[1].jpg

Ok....I just read Starship's link (thank you very much...very informative).. now I'm worried about cancer (carcinogens in everything I've been using for the past 50 years), gotta call Brownells back and cancel the Froglube, make a dump run (Hoppies, etc.), and try and find a food service company who has food grade Lubriplate that will share a bit with me. Makes me wonder how I've lived so long and why I've never had a weapon fail when I needed it.:confused: The Lord truly does watch over small children, puppies, and fools.:)
Levity aside, the information, research, and good advice available here is very much appreciated. It's worth a lot to be able to take advantage of all the time, thought and experience our members graciously share with us.
Thank you all.
Semper Fi

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews