JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you're purist, this thread isn't for you. Or maybe it is.
Back in the day, we had three basic lubes sitting around the motor pool, 10W, 30W and GAA (Grease, Auto and Artillery, AKA...standard axle grease). Of course, we had the standard little green bottles of bore cleaner and the gallon jugs of Break Free as well. Truth be told though, I was fond of using the GAA on the M2HB's and 1911's when out in the field. It worked well. These days I have a nice stock on hand of Rem Oil, Lucas and even a jar of Frog Lube (Ban-Gay for guns). Fancy stuff. Does it work? Sure, quite well. However the topic pops up on occasion about using standard motor oil as a gun lube. I have no problem with that and have used it when my Rem Oil is nowhere to be found. I usually stick with Mobil-1 5W30 or 0W20, as that's what our vehicles all take. I find that it works well. No gumming, fouling, build up of any kind, even after hundreds of rounds between a cleaning. Of course, YMMV. It really shouldn't though as modern day motor oils (especially synthetics) have all of the anti corrosion and anti friction additives that you would want. They are designed for flow in hi revving engines with tight tolerances so it seems like a natural application for any modern fire arm.
What do the rest of you use aside from the Hoppe's, Rem Oil, Break Free, etc and why?

1608175268115.png

Last Edited:
Same 5 quart jug of 0w30 has been used as lube for years.

I don't fall for $30 canola oil "snake oil" tricks.

I had a conversation once about the powers of marketing with a gun buddy that swears by his $40 one ounce tube of snake oil.

After I asked him how often he drove his car, what his block was made of and his other internal motor parts, showed him the same salt bath nitride methods are used to treat engine parts as gun parts, and that the car went through a ton more hell on a regular basis and he didn't spend the equivalent on motor oil as he did gun oil.

He switched...

In the stainless steel community, there are several "old timers" that have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for many years.

I have always using FP-10 on my stainless steel. Thinking of giving Mobil 1 a try one of these days.

I had a conversation once about the powers of marketing with a gun buddy that swears by his $40 one ounce tube of snake oil.

After I asked him how often he drove his car, what his block was made of and his other internal motor parts, showed him the same salt bath nitride methods are used to treat engine parts as gun parts, and that the car went through a ton more hell on a regular basis and he didn't spend the equivalent on motor oil as he did gun oil.

He switched...
^^^this.

I think gun lube is over rated. Read an article years ago scientifically dissecting the subject and it suggested the best gun lube was ATF (sorry lost old bookmark...). For a while I also used Marvel Mystery oil just fine. Then more recently I picked up some CLP and FP10 because I bought a new gun and the mfg recommended it only for their proprietary finish coating.... :rolleyes: so Im working my way thru those but will probably go back to motor oils. I dont see how any gun will get as much use as the inside of an engine block or trannny yet the application is the same.

edit, I opened some google-fu and think this is the old bookmark I had. He liked ATF but recommended Lubriplate's FMO-AW oil

Last Edited:
This conversation has been going on over at arfcom for many years. It would be nice to see a study done on using motor oils, standard and synthetic, in place of all the different flavors available under the gun care umbrella. With engines running at such high temperatures with metal on metal friction points, it sure seems that motor oil would be an ideal and economic remedy to costly CLPs and other high tech solutions.

Grant said:
Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation. The biggest problem is that their pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis! I recommend staying away from motor oils; if you must use something from the auto parts store, ATF performs better for firearms use on every count, even if it is a tad more expensive. (ATF is still 1/10 to 1/100th the cost of a specialty "gun oil.")

In the stainless steel community, there are several "old timers" that have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for many years.

I have always using FP-10 on my stainless steel. Thinking of giving Mobil 1 a try one of these days.
It doesn't have to be Mobil-1 per se. Most synthetics are on equal footing these days. Read the specs on the labels and or websites. Amazon sells its own branded synthetic that is every bit as equal to Mobil-1 in specs and quality but for less money. Don't get me started on co-branding of synthetic motor oils....

Marine grease and motor oil have never failed me when used on kalashnikovs, revolvers, pump guns and bolt action...
For a .22 auto loader or an AR in use break free clp..
Burnt powder and carbon + motor oil +high temperature = concrete.

I prefer Mobil-1, watch for it at garage sales $1 to $2 dollars a quart.
Have enough for several life times.
I prefer it because it works in 40 below weather.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top