JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
atf2.jpg

Interesting about ATF and MG's running extra clean. I know ATF typically has a high detergent package, so that makes sense. Type "A" fluid doesn't have the additives to make it foam like the Dexron ones, or the newer fluids, that also a lot of different friction modifiers and smell terrible. ( and tend to irritate skin)

Interesting about ATF and MG's running extra clean. I know ATF typically has a high detergent package, so that makes sense. Type "A" fluid doesn't have the additives to make it foam like the Dexron ones, or the newer fluids, that also a lot of different friction modifiers and smell terrible. ( and tend to irritate skin)

And we shoot the heck out of the Twin 50's.
All 3 set's... LOL.
It really does make them easy to clean.

I had. A old green can of ww2 era aircraft MG oil years ago . It had a smell to it that was wicked and would sting your skin if it made contact.. But of coarse worked very well .

In the stainless steel community, there are several "old timers" that have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for many years.

I have always using FP-10 on my stainless steel. Thinking of giving Mobil 1 a try one of these days.
I'm probably one of those "old timers",, and I've been using motor oil for years.
Yep, Mobil 1 works great for stainless.

Have found for more than a decade that mobil 1 synthetic that goes in my car also works fine for lubricating guns. I've also been experimenting with white lithium grease since oil likes to run.

Like @olyroller, I took this thread to be solely about lubrication of an in-use firearm, not rust prevention or other storage issues.

So when I posted I use ATF on my match ARs, it was in the sense of while in use, shooting a match. In that environment, which is rather controlled, I don't worry about long term effects of the lubrication, or the picking up of dust and debris that could happen with a duty rifle carried in the field. I solely care about absolutely perfect functioning for the duration of a match, reducing wear and easing the cleaning after shooting. If you have Regional Match (88 rounds) backed up with a National Match (58 rounds) you have a total shooting of 170 rounds or less (adding some for misfires or reshoots of a rapid string). It's very rare to have back to back courses so typically it will only be 88 or 58 rounds before the rifle is totally cleaned and readied for the next practice session or match.

In that scenario ATF works very very well. It doesn't gum up, attract excess amounts of gunk, stays very slick for the duration of the match and really helps keep carbon buildup to a minimum making cleaning so much easier.

When I carried an M16 at the behest of the taxpayers, I used the supplied LSA or my own privately purchased stash of Tri-Flon (now called Tri-Flow) which by the way was on the marked prior to BreakFree's CLP and which, in my limited experience, I think works a bit better. I followed the armory manuals instruction on lubrication, which was a light coating on certain parts and a trace film wiped across others. In this environment I was worried about the longer term effects of the lube, like temperature variation / function issues, attracting dirt, staying on the gun in bad conditions (say rain) etc. I don't think the more runny ATF would work as well in this scenario.

I did not use automotive oils, since other products were available, but the armorers' manual did list automotive oils as an appropriate alternative if the primary lubricants were not available.

So, all that to say this ... I wouldn't hesitate to use motor oil, and if I ever run out of the Tri-Flon I have on hand (bought a gallon jug in the 80's and still have 1/4 gallon left) and the odds and ends bottles of gun oil I've picked up on trades here and there I probably would take a hard look at using a modern automotive oil to use on my guns while in the act of shooting.

FWIW!;)

Had never heard of Tri-Flo until two days ago when I was at work and used my master key to enter a door and it got stuck in the lock.

Went to the Facilities shop and asked for a lubricant to help get it out and the guy said I needed Tri-Flo. I squirted a bit in and waited a few minutes and the key came right out. Impressive stuff.

Tri-Flow was the original Teflon bearing CLP. DuPont, the owners of Teflon, sued to have the name changed stating Tri-Flon was too close to the trademarked name Teflon. They won.

For some reason, this product was never marketed very heavily to the firearms world and they didn't even enter the military trials for the new CLP that was slated to replace the old issue Rifle Bore Cleaner (that was nasty stuff but I digress ...). I wonder if they would have won the contract had they done so.

The original creators were insane bicycling nuts, and of course this was the first arena where it was marketed and where I first ran across it. I was a serious ultra-marathon cyclist at the time and anything that reduced friction on the bike was of interest to me since ultra-marathon events start at a minimum of 200 miles and go as far as multi-day cross country races like the annual RAAM (Race Across AMerica). Tiny bits of friction improvement compound greatly during hours- to days-long events. Tri-Flon moved into the industrial arena and did well there, I have seen it often in machine shops and HVAC / industrial settings.

It's great stuff, and as I said I think a better product than Break Free, but that is probably subjective. It may be because I like the smell ... it smells like ripe bananas!

Triflow Lubricants – WE GET YOU MOVIN'!!!

You can see the bicycling roots still hold fast by just looking at their home page.

Last Edited:
Many years ago I made up a gallon jug of armorer's lube from a recipe I got from an old Army armorer. It used ATF, STP lube, Hoppe's #9, but I don't recall the parts of each now? I believe it was 3 qts. of ATF, one large bottle of Hoppes, and a bottle of STP.
I've still got over half a gallon left after 30 yrs.

These bottles are good too. They are solvent / oil proof, so they don't break down over time and any label you affix will stay put and not "migrate" away. I think they are the same make as used by Lucas Gun Oil and a couple of other OEM vendors.

I purchased a couple of three packs years ago and they all are going strong housing anything from oil, carbon solvents, KROIL and Sweet's 7.62 Solvent which is pretty nasty stuff.

3 Needle Oilers : BROWNELLS NEEDLE OILER BOTTLES | Brownells

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads