JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the record many police stations have stated its more like 10-20 on average. No the 2-3min the media tells you.
Even where I live 10 years ago called 911 as a neighbor down the street was at someone front door banging the door and holding a shot gun at 11 at night called and told the police I kid you not they arrived after the guy broke in and it took them over 15 min from when I called. Luckily the person inside ducked out the back window I guess before he broke in. ( nothing I could do he was about 100yard from where I was and would have seen me coming that and he never threatened to shoot nor fired the gun so my hands were tied ) he was in the house about 2 minutes when cruisers came rolling up.

Worse comes to worst, I dig deep in the safe and defeat the Nazis with the Funniest Joke in the World:

"Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

301_6.jpg

I'm not sure I'm reading the topic's question in the same way as some of us are.

Andy is in the ballpark of my POV on it, which is a broader social question regarding the misbehavior of a segment of the population bent on causing damage. Not what would the gub'ment do, but what would the criminal sociopaths do?

Assuming the position that a ban somehow also eventually eradicated the privately owned guns and ammunition, rendering civilians completely without functioning guns, what happens then?

THE NEXT WORSE THING
Just like water will find a detour around a blockage, mis-wired people would resort to the next worse things they can get ahold of, whether it's a crossbow, a Lucille-type baseball bat wrapped with barbed wire, a Kukri, or a gallon of flammable liquid and a road flare. Thankfully nobody's thought of that one yet

And the above example just illustrates how foolish the idea that restricting certain guns because of their cosmetic features would fix anything in any measurable way. No AR's or AK's, then it's bolt-action rifles with internal magazines.

But statistically, the most misused firearms are pistols and revolvers, and of course, a ban of the sort that's in vogue right now on "assault weapons" does n-o-t-h-i-n-g to mitigate that abuse. Most of us realize focusing on the weapons is missing the point.

WHAT'S THE REAL PROBLEM, THEN?
As was posted earlier in the thread, the real roots of the problem, and I agree, is not in the type of weapon.

I think we'll find the answers lie in two places: one- the belief in popular culture that somehow violence is a cool form of entertainment (mmm, wonder where that propagates?) and, two- in the absence of healthy self-esteem, coping skills and empathy, these two combine into a lethal combination that manifests itself in sensational, violent outbursts.

THE THIRD FACTOR
That's when the corporate giants which profited first by portraying senseless violence as attractive, benign entertainment, profit AGAIN with their 24-hour info-tainment ("news") by exploiting the real-world violence which itself imitated the movies and TV shows, to say nothing of the other incidents which had been shown endlessly on the 'news'.

There's the feedback loop of death: the daily depiction of violence as entertainment (which almost never shows any consequence for the perpetrators) desensitizing the viewers to it, then comes the perpetual re-broadcasting of the incidents which erupt- when life imitates fiction.

As a final irony, the media giants then spend hours tsk-tsking about the awful violence and how the cause must be those awful guns, and how these heroic kids are marching against those guns to get the Gubment to do "something".

The media don't DARE look at themselves as being complicit in the loop of death machine.

With apologies to John Harington,
Conspiracy does never prosper.
What's the Reason?
for if it prosper, none dare call it conspiracy.

When guns get banned, criminals get guns. The anti-gun people think they won't, but realistically they will. Does banning guns keep the cartels from getting them? No. Does gun control keep gangs from getting them? No.

Whenever countries like Mexico or Brazil are brought up they always say its unfair because they have gangs and drugs. Well, duh! They're not wrong, Brazil and Mexico has drugs and gangs. You know who else does? The United States, to suggest otherwise is to blatantly ignore the problem. So I'd say its a fair comparison. They have drugs, they have gangs, they have strict gun control, and a higher murder rate. The U.S has drugs, the U.S has gangs, the U.S has looser gun laws, and the U.S has a lower murder rate in comparison. Where's the difference?

Then they go on to mention they're third world countries... They're that way because of government corruption, drugs, and gangs! What do they think will happen when guns are banned here? Well, it certainly isn't going to get rid of the gangs and drugs.

If banning things worked oregon wouldn't have a meth problem

California smuggles in machine guns and replica firearms from tiny Asian nations and uses them in crimes before sending them down to mexico. In Brazil just the other day they confiscated an anti aircraft machine gun. It's extremely common to bust criminals with submachine guns in Australia and Brazil. In the UK criminals rent a handgun and return it.

If you want to see how well gun control is working in Brazil do a search for MV Bill on YouTube and watch some of his music videos... You'll see plenty of illegal or restricted firearms being passed around in the Favelas like candy... A reflection of the reality that exists there.

Prohibition of alcohol brought America Al Capone and moonshine more easily available to people. People that don't think prohibition of guns won't do the same thing with firearms are dilluding themselves.

It's a natural right because the founding fathers realized you can't stop people from owning the tools they need if there is a common demand for it. And there will always be a demand for tools to protect yourself just like there will be a demand from criminals for them to murder. It's a futile gesture for governments to try, and only brings suffering to the people they represent.

That's why our founders were smarter then the average bear, and why our country has been so successful. Concieved in liberty as a grand experiment, they recognized the futility of oppression and the suffering it brings because they were heavily oppressed by the crown. And it took a long history of suffering to get to that point. The bill of rights was a laundry list of grievances by people that experienced first hand what a large oppressive government will do.

I hope our nation doesn't have to go through a long period of suffering again in our future. Otherwise we may have a new laundry list of grievances.

I will move to Idaho, get burglar bars and stay away from places that sell booze.
P.S. I will still have the guns that don't have a 4473 with my name attached but don't tell anyone.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top