JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yeah, but you implied conservatives don't. And no, I do not see the irony in my post. I'm thick...please break it down for me and others here who may be as slow as I am.

You tell me I can't generalize conservatives, whilst I seem to exist on this board for the sole purpose of defending against daily ignorant, incorrect, unproductive and destructive generalizations about liberals. I make one generalization, and you cry foul - where are you when I am generalized against, 10 times a day?

But my generalization is accurate. You can't call a generalization inaccurate because it doesn't apply to a few - a generalization is accurate when it applies to the general population - and the general conservative population has eschewed its responsibility for their brother by labeling their brother a sinner suffering the consequences of their own sin. Which is bullbubblegum on several levels.

I know that American Christians are the most charitable people on earth, and I know that they tend to be conservatives. That's largely because of tithing, which we're commanded to do, but... fact remains, we voluntarily give more than anyone else. I'm proud to count myself among those who give freely.

You really think all that charitable giving is going to meet the needs of veterans, homeless, functionally-impoverished, etc? The mass stockpile of needy that our consumerist, capitalist, racist, exploitative society has created? It would not. You could theorized if we were all practicing Christians, we'd all pay a flat 10% tithe to our God-headed Christian government, all of America's needs would be met. Wouldn't that be wonderful. I would sign up for that country before any of you. But it's a theory that will never be put to the test. Not in this world, anyway.

Conservatives hate rendering unto Caesar and don't want to help the needy if those "needy" are judged (by who?) to be needy because of a condition the conservative-in-question can't fathom himself not being able to overcome. And a huge segment of the Christian-right ignorantly passes judgement on his brother - see Stomper's post above. So yea, I feel very confident in my statement that if American conservatives had their way, anyone judged to have errored, not hard-working enough, or a sinner, or even just ill prepared, would just be SOL. We don't care if someone has a mental illness. We don't care if someone was never raised, never given the tools or even had demonstrated for them a responsible life. We don't care if someone has an addiction. We don't care if someone had a divorce. We don't care if someone got knocked up as a child. bubblegum those people, I'm not responsible for them. Even though Christ's entire 4 books barely deviate from the theme that I AM responsible for them, and will be judged precisely according to how I dealt with them.

Matthew 25:31-46 (NASB)

The Judgment

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [a]take care of You?' 45 Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Ben,
We tithe 10% because we choose to
We also support:
Annual +$1000 donations to:
Compassion International
Legacy Health Systems Breast Health center at LMHMC
Forward Edge
U-Kids
Portland Rescue Mission

I have no idea what insect is up uR behind, but I'm not it. You claimed Conservatives don't do the work and Liberals do. My experience is that Liberals tend to want to force everyone to pay more to support their charitable causes rather than just shutting up and writing the big fat one on their own. And I base this on quite a few conversations.

BTW...I never told you to do anything...just chastised you a bit for your ASSumptions.

You tell me I can't generalize conservatives...........

We don't care if someone was never raised, never given the tools or even had demonstrated for them a responsible life.

We don't care if someone has an addiction. We don't care if someone had a divorce. We don't care if someone got knocked up as a child. bubblegum those people, I'm not responsible for them.

Even though Christ's entire 4 books barely deviate from the theme that I AM responsible for them, and will be judged precisely according to how I dealt with them.

When you say "We" are you must be speaking of yourself and those close to you.

As far as me and my house, well, my wife and I are facilitators of the Genesis Process which is for the most part sponsored by our Church and helps the very same people you have described above as needy. Why? Because we were both broken at one time and chose to allow our pain and mistakes to be someone elses gain.
http://genesisprocess.org/

Maybe what's bugging you is that you are not living what you're preaching, but then again, that is only an ASSumption on my part as well.

When you say "We" are you must be speaking of yourself and those close to you.

As far as me and my house, well, my wife and I are facilitators of the Genesis Process which is for the most part sponsored by our Church and helps the very same people you have described above as needy. Why? Because we were both broken at one time and chose to allow our pain and mistakes to be someone elses gain.
http://genesisprocess.org/

Maybe what's bugging you is that you are not living what you're preaching, but then again, that is only an ASSumption on my part as well.

You're making this about you, not me. If you're an atypical conservative, then kudos.

You tell me I can't generalize conservatives, whilst I seem to exist on this board for the sole purpose of defending against daily ignorant, incorrect, unproductive and destructive generalizations about liberals. I make one generalization, and you cry foul - where are you when I am generalized against, 10 times a day?

But my generalization is accurate. You can't call a generalization inaccurate because it doesn't apply to a few - a generalization is accurate when it applies to the general population - and the general conservative population has eschewed its responsibility for their brother by labeling their brother a sinner suffering the consequences of their own sin. Which is bullbubblegum on several levels.

I know that American Christians are the most charitable people on earth, and I know that they tend to be conservatives. That's largely because of tithing, which we're commanded to do, but... fact remains, we voluntarily give more than anyone else. I'm proud to count myself among those who give freely.

You really think all that charitable giving is going to meet the needs of veterans, homeless, functionally-impoverished, etc? The mass stockpile of needy that our consumerist, capitalist, racist, exploitative society has created? It would not. You could theorized if we were all practicing Christians, we'd all pay a flat 10% tithe to our God-headed Christian government, all of America's needs would be met. Wouldn't that be wonderful. I would sign up for that country before any of you. But it's a theory that will never be put to the test. Not in this world, anyway.

Conservatives hate rendering unto Caesar and don't want to help the needy if those "needy" are judged (by who?) to be needy because of a condition the conservative-in-question can't fathom himself not being able to overcome. .

I'm a libertarian, so I'm not sure you consider that "conservative", or not but I have a problem with the government stealing from me to buy votes that take my rights away. I have a problem with being forced to fund entitlement programs that are grossly mismanaged and abused.

I've worked at Costco for 17 years and a few years back when we started accepting EBT cards it was a real eye opener. It's easy to say people are cold for hating paying I to the entitlement system until you see three generations all come through and swipe their EBT cards. That is not a need, that is a taught way of life. I've seen people pay for their groceries on EBT, then pull out a 4 inch thick gangster roll and buy a 70" tv in cash. I've seen people buy lobster and filet mignon.

I'll admit, charity is an area where I could do better but as an example my wife told me about a Co worker who having trouble feeding her kids, so we raided the pantry and filled about 6 grocery sacks with food for my wife to take to her. That is the type of charity Jesus spoke of, not the blanket funding of massively abused and wasteful programs.

Last Edited:

~snip~

It's not the "work" liberals do that I object to, and I've never encouraged objection to it. It's not about denying that some of that work needs to be done, and/or that the government COULD do it.

It's when they start advocating for government to do that work, and the bureaucracy they generate to do it, and the cost of that work by the time the government finds a way to get it done, if ever.
Bureaucracies are inefficient, they always have been and they always will be. And behind every one is some self important twit that believes that until every I is dotted and every T crossed to his/her satisfaction that the job is either incomplete, improper, or unfair.

So then they try to "fix" it, and the result is an even bigger, and less efficient bureaucracy that sucks up yet more resources and accomplishes even less.

I like this site when we get along. We have differing opinions. I'm more radical then probably anyone here.
I'm what you call a redneck with a white collar career.

You wanna fight?!
Ever heard of the Law of Consacreation?(spell). .?
My church at some point is gonna engage this law. And I'm gonna follow it. Won't be easy. What is it? Everyone pools there money together, and lives on the same level. Mitt will live like me, and so on.
Can you imagine the pissed off people we will have when this happens? Yea! It's a liberal way to live. But I will follow it.

Ah... that's not really a "liberal way to live," bro. It's a communal way to live, which might appeal to some fringe liberals on some level, but core tenets of American liberalism are individual liberty and property rights. Giving your temple everything and living under their authority is kinda square-peg-round-hole with liberalism.

The person on the left will force the person on the right to take care of the person in the middle. The person on the right wants to force the person in the middle to take care of themselves. The person in the middle wants the people on both sides to take care of him and is happy to put them against each other to do so.
Looking at it from the outside I would say. If half the people on the left would do just half what they expect "everyone" else to do and if half the people in the middle would do for themselves what they could. The people on the right could do half as much as they are being forced to do now...
Helping people is not what the left wants, buying people with somone else's money is.
If the system wasn't broken people on the right would be far more willing to help. Using government force to the point of death to help people is counter intuitive to me though.

Conservatives hate rendering unto Caesar and don't want to help the needy if those "needy" are judged (by who?) to be needy because of a condition the conservative-in-question can't fathom himself not being able to overcome. And a huge segment of the Christian-right ignorantly passes judgement on his brother - see Stomper's post above. So yea, I feel very confident in my statement that if American conservatives had their way, anyone judged to have errored, not hard-working enough, or a sinner, or even just ill prepared, would just be SOL. We don't care if someone has a mental illness. We don't care if someone was never raised, never given the tools or even had demonstrated for them a responsible life. We don't care if someone has an addiction. We don't care if someone had a divorce. We don't care if someone got knocked up as a child. bubblegum those people, I'm not responsible for them. Even though Christ's entire 4 books barely deviate from the theme that I AM responsible for them, and will be judged precisely according to how I dealt with them.

Matthew 25:31-46 (NASB)

The Judgment

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [a]take care of You?' 45 Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Watch it brother, Member mjbskwim will join this quagmire of a discussion if you continue to quote the bible.

He's a good egg though. He just believes as any one of us would choose to,, what he believes in.

I like this site when we get along. We have differing opinions. I'm more radical then probably anyone here.
I'm what you call a redneck with a white collar career.

You wanna fight?!
Ever heard of the Law of Consacreation?(spell). .?
My church at some point is gonna engage this law. And I'm gonna follow it. Won't be easy. What is it? Everyone pools there money together, and lives on the same level. Mitt will live like me, and so on.
Can you imagine the pissed off people we will have when this happens? Yea! It's a liberal way to live. But I will follow it.
That is full-blown marxist communism, and I don't care what the mormon church or anyone else wants to call it.
And the day they implement it will be the day no practicing member of that church will be welcome in my life, however fleeting the acquaintance may be.

I've been watching this thread since it was posted, thinking maybe it was time we ease up on the prohibition of non-firearm political discussion.

Our goal here, my goal, the goal of Northwest Firearms, is to unite gun owners, period. I'm standing behind my position that this sort of conversation here serves no good purpose, and is actually quite counterproductive in the fight for our gun rights.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads