JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Back when I was still trying to hold onto a conservative ideology, I struggled with this very question: how do we provide needed services while shrinking the government, when the various bureaus we currently have are already overtaxed and ineffective?

"You'd have to go down to Berkeley to find wackjobs that would be offended at that - and bubblegum you if you think those jackasses are "liberals."

Ah but Ben, you'd at least have admit that THEY would call themselves liberals:D

Anybody that has had to deal with the unnecessary bureaucratic BS that comes with government regulation knows damned good and well where cuts can be made and money can be saved.
And it starts with the redundant self protection that takes place within the various agencies.
The people employed/involved spend far too much time and resources either justifying their existence, or doing CYA crapola.
And it's wasteful and shameful when the result is consistently like what has been discovered at the VA Heath Admin, and the current iteration of the IRS.

If you're not outraged you haven't been paying attention.

We should take care of the poor... to some extent. Instead we allow people to live off the system. I used to carpool with a guy who lived in a crappy part of salem, the majority of his neighborhood was on welfare/disability and most of them were able bodied people who learned to live off the system- and it was very easy. One of my son's friends dad is "disabled" and collects money from the system to live- however he seems to have no problem walking blocks to the mini mart to buy beer, chew, and munchies... I personally love it when my son tells me how his friend's dad gets to go fishing and whatnot during the middle of the day- must be nice collecting my money to live off. Go to the store on foodstamp day (oregon trail card), people buying junky food and getting cash back with their oregon trail card (yes, that is right), then going out to their car that is way nicer than mine. Hmmm... there used to be a sense of pride in taking care of your own family and not accepting hand outs. I'm not saying this as one who has had a charmed life, my family has lived paycheck to paycheck for the past 20 years and experienced some damn rough times.

How much more money do we spend on the war on poverty since the 60s. 9 trillion deficient under Bush NOW 20 trillion debt under obammy. You don't fix money problems with money. It a never ending train to destruction. All the additional spending under obammy and all we did is increase peoples dependence on gov, Where's the Jobs, Where's the economic growth for peoples upward mobility. The Pres party has failed and the Republicans have cowered to the same progressive big gov policies with no constitutional push back. There are very few sectors of our economy that is not surviving except from Crony Capitalism and gov dependence. No sustainable or survivable. Time for a major reset and its coming. We are past the time for fixing its all corrupt.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...l-security-administration-spending-hit-record

"We can neither tax nor spend our way to prosperity." -- Me.

"You damn sure can't do it with borrowed money!" -- Me also.

"And you have no business borrowing from my kids!" -- Me again.

Elaborate

I see nothing in the Constitution that says we shouldn't take care of the poor.

And I see an amendment, much like the 2nd Amendment, that authorizes an income tax.

Where in the Constitution does it say we should take care of the poor with a nonstop means of income????

Elaborate

And I see an amendment, much like the 2nd Amendment, that authorizes an income tax.
Then please equate those with the "equality of opportunity" the country was founded on.
If that income tax were a flat tax, you'll get partially there, and after a year or so we can see what's in the coffers.

But how do we justify "equal opportunity" when one sub-class is receiving aid and a number of others aren't?
Especially when we start basing qualification criteria on things like race, gender and national origin. You know, the BIG three.

And should there be consequences when one has multiple opportunities yet fails to advance? Shouldn't we allow those consequences to play-out?

Too much of how we're currently running things reflects the "everyone gets a trophy" attitude of our current culture/society.
If you believe that is the best way to bring out the best in the individual, then you're beyond help.

I've been using the VA health system for 48 years. It isn't perfect (middle management heavy), however I prefer the Roseberg VA over any private health system I have experienced. There is a certain amount of effort the vet needs to make to help the VA work for them. While I have seen the VA go out of their way to help vets who are unable to make that effort, there are a great many vets who won't lift a finger to help their selves and then whine when things don't go their way. Politicians and the media love to jump on any issue they can exploit and since vets represent a large voting block, you can bet a politician will be there to exploit it and then the media will be there to twist it into any story that serves their agenda. Once again I am not saying the VA is perfect, however I for one am glad they are there. I believe the only special parking should be for the disabled. Most of us could use the exercise walking the extra hundred feet in a parking lot. Every one loves a vet while there is a war or two going on. "Thank you for your service" is the in phrase, but watch how quickly that dies out if we ever get into some sort of peace. Too much money to be made by the 1% of the 1%, so I don't see any sort of peace happening. Keep it simple. Special parking for the disabled. If the vet with the Purple Heart isn't disabled, let him or her walk. They probably need it and yes, I do have a Purple Heart.

I've been using the VA health system for 48 years. It isn't perfect (middle management heavy), however I prefer the Roseberg VA over any private health system I have experienced. There is a certain amount of effort the vet needs to make to help the VA work for them. While I have seen the VA go out of their way to help vets who are unable to make that effort, there are a great many vets who won't lift a finger to help their selves and then whine when things don't go their way. Politicians and the media love to jump on any issue they can exploit and since vets represent a large voting block, you can bet a politician will be there to exploit it and then the media will be there to twist it into any story that serves their agenda. Once again I am not saying the VA is perfect, however I for one am glad they are there. I believe the only special parking should be for the disabled. Most of us could use the exercise walking the extra hundred feet in a parking lot. Every one loves a vet while there is a war or two going on. "Thank you for your service" is the in phrase, but watch how quickly that dies out if we ever get into some sort of peace. Too much money to be made by the 1% of the 1%, so I don't see any sort of peace happening. Keep it simple. Special parking for the disabled. If the vet with the Purple Heart isn't disabled, let him or her walk. They probably need it and yes, I do have a Purple Heart.
I still like to say, Thank you for your service. Cause most need to hear it.

Elaborate

Please show use this ( amendment, much like the 2nd Amendment, that authorizes an income tax.)

I'd cut social security. Cause I can save money by myself.
I'd cut the EPA. Cause I do care about the world I live in to keep it clean.
I'd cut vacation pay for the politicians. Cause they abuse it.
I'd make the federal and state workers drive 30 year old cars and trucks. Toyota of course.
I'd demolish PERS. cause it's abused.
Cutting jobs does cut people. Just like when the private sector cuts jobs, and we lose ours. That's part of life.
But I like your balls Ben. You belong to a conservative site, and you fight. I will give you that. Thanks for your service.

Why do you want to cut social security? it is not an entitlement, it is money that people have payed into for years. they did not have a choice to contribute or not it was just taken to be given back at a latter time. Now you are just wanting the government to keep it and use it the way it wants (giving to lazy sob's or illegal aliens) . If nothing else make sure people get back what they put into it like it was sold to them then stop taking it from peoples paychecks and let them save on their own.

Why do you want to cut social security? it is not an entitlement, it is money that people have payed into for years. they did not have a choice to contribute or not it was just taken to be given back at a latter time. Now you are just wanting the government to keep it and use it the way it wants (giving to lazy sob's or illegal aliens) . If nothing else make sure people get back what they put into it like it was sold to them then stop taking it from peoples paychecks and let them save on their own.

They're paying people that put money into the system years ago out of my paycheck. The pyramid scheme has to fail at some point and it will probably be my generation that gets the shaft. I contribute far less out of each paycheck to my 401k than SS, but I will receive far more income from my 401k. Anything the govt touches, it completely screws up and mismanages.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top