JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read and commented on a couple threads on this forum about "printing", or someone observing that you are armed, and the paranoia some of you have.

As most of you already know, I OC under normal conditions, and conceal only when I wear a heavy coat for the weather. I hear this fear of Printing all the time so I want to ask all of you...how many of you have observed someone OC?

Why do I ask? Well, back when the WA Liquor Control board still owned/contracted all the liquor store here, we had a contract liquor store in our town. The law (back then) specifically stated you could carry into a state owned liquor store, but said nothing about contract store. In a discussion over on OCDO (OpenCarry.org | for those that don't know the forum) someone asked if that extended to contract liquor stores...so I volunteered to ask.

The next time we went to town, I stopped in the contract liquor store and asked the contractor if the Open Carry of handguns, licensed or unlicensed, was addressed in her contract with the LCB. Her answer was, never noticed, but I have customers like you Open Carry in here all the time. (I was OC as normal for me)

Well, Guess what, Except for a town police officer with a drop leg on last winter, I have never noticed anyone OC in Town, and we have lived up here almost 8 years now. (granted we normally only go to town a couple times a month for a few hours.) But the lady at the liquor store said she saw OC "all the time".

So guys, challenge...go look, keep your eyes open and see if you can observe. (I obviously don't do well eh?) If you don't think anyone OC's in your area, go over to OCDO, go to the very active WA forum, or the slightly less active OR forum and look.

BTW: The OC crowd does not look down on the CC crowd, just those of the CC crowd that cannot tolerate OC>

I have just been asked by family, and close friends, Why do you carry all the time?
We all know many answers for that. I have never been 'outed', thankfully!!!
I open carry while doing yard work as it is very uncomfortable to carry IWB, never had a comment from a neighbor. I know next door don't like guns, have thought of the lawn sign saying I won't protect them or their property, out of respect of their views. However I'm not really going to stand by and watch them assaulted, or robbed. I think that would change their views.
I have heard it said, "There are no Atheists in foxholes."

I can usually tell who is carrying just by their mannerisms and appearance. One thing to avoid is actually touching your piece. Dead giveaway

If I'm CCing I'll usually tuck my shirt in when I get out of a vehicle and in the process minimize my print. I don't touch it otherwise.

Whenever I've open carried I've had no troubles. Open carried through Vancouver the other day through a few stores and a gas station. No hassles or shocked looks.

I think it all boils down to your mannerisms and the mental stability of the people you encounter. I've had far more people freak out on me for stopping in a store aisle or not pulling out during a green light.

Impatient, crabby, self absorbed people exist. Your travels will be smooth until you encounter them. Whether you are (visibly) armed or not.

I could care less if I print as this is an open carry state.
I only open carry when hunting and then it is mostly covered by a coat
I don't mind anyone else OCing and I notice it pretty easily.But I look for it
I do want open carry to remain legal and constitutional carry would be better.

Now with all that said,I think open carry is for cowboys to do on a regular basis (especially as one member here,and on OC forum does,and it's not hermannr)
I don't believe there is any advantage to it except for some comfort issues.But nothing a button down shirt can't take care of.
I guess,with all the different kinds I have been around with guns,I just see open carry in the city as a cowboy tactic
But that's just me and YMMV

I could care less if I print as this is an open carry state.
I only open carry when hunting and then it is mostly covered by a coat
I don't mind anyone else OCing and I notice it pretty easily.But I look for it
I do want open carry to remain legal and constitutional carry would be better.

Now with all that said,I think open carry is for cowboys to do on a regular basis (especially as one member here,and on OC forum does,and it's not hermannr)
I don't believe there is any advantage to it except for some comfort issues.But nothing a button down shirt can't take care of.
I guess,with all the different kinds I have been around with guns,I just see open carry in the city as a cowboy tactic
But that's just me and YMMV

I am going to tell a little story...now you CC folk be sure to read carefully and don't get upset...I did not say what you may think I did.

When I was a young kid (50's or late 40's...I think 50's) I was with my dad (a German Canadian, but we were in ID or OR at the time) and dad was talking to this old man (my grandfather's age, but not my Grandfather...probably born in the 1870's or so)..Anyway, one thing from this conversation stuck with me....the old man said "those that are up to no-good conceal their weapons". (I did not realize it at the time, but it may have been a reference to this In re BRICKEY. Idaho Supreme Court ruling.)

Anyway, what the old man said stuck with me...I have OCd since 1970 when I became a US Citizen.

I started carrying OWB about 6 months ago, usually with a cover garment but it still shows if I'm doing anything but standing perfectly straight and still. No one has noticed, and I'm not really paranoid about it anymore.

Could care less if I print on occasion! How ever if I need an adjustment I just have an ostentatious scratch in that area. It helps to have have a stupid and blissful expression on my grill!

I almost always CC, but I have nothing against open carry...

But for he life of me I do not understand the big deal about the wally world walk the I keep seeing on various boards in relation to open carry??
well for that matter... I dont understand wally world. Place creeps me out!

I am going to tell a little story...now you CC folk be sure to read carefully and don't get upset...I did not say what you may think I did.

When I was a young kid (50's or late 40's...I think 50's) I was with my dad (a German Canadian, but we were in ID or OR at the time) and dad was talking to this old man (my grandfather's age, but not my Grandfather...probably born in the 1870's or so)..Anyway, one thing from this conversation stuck with me....the old man said "those that are up to no-good conceal their weapons". (I did not realize it at the time, but it may have been a reference to this In re BRICKEY. Idaho Supreme Court ruling.)

Anyway, what the old man said stuck with me...I have OCd since 1970 when I became a US Citizen.

Different century boss
Should I say "new" century?

A lot of vestigial gestures used in modern society come from practical demonstrations of either being armed or unarmed. Shaking hands for example shows that you don't have a knife in your hand and you're willing to close into personal space range. Military salutes come from raising the visor on armor to honourably show your identity to your opponent.

In the Old West, it was considered dishonourable to conceal your fiream, because an unarmed man would get a pass on being challenged to an immediate duel (gunfight). So if you were concealing and acting boorishly, you'd get away with not being challenged. Derringers (meant to be concealed) were considered gamblers' or women's guns, and gamblers were often enough looked down on as general cheats. Laws on the books prohibiting concealed firearms in almost all cases pre-date laws pr0ohibiting open carry, and generally pre-date attitudes which discourage open carry, and were never repealed because the general attitude towards carrying a firearm evolved into believing it was unncessary, and still having the vestigial prejudice against the dishonesty of a person who would conceal their firearm. The idea is that only a criminal would conceal their ability and hide behind helplessness.

Obviously, in th emodern world, both CC and OC have an uphill fight to regain acceptance, Hopefully, no matter one's personal preference for either, one would promote the daily carry of firearms and other forms of self-reliance without recriminations. Unfortunately, it's rarely so.

I almost always CC, but I have nothing against open carry...

But for he life of me I do not understand the big deal about the wally world walk the I keep seeing on various boards in relation to open carry??
well for that matter... I dont understand wally world. Place creeps me out!

What is with the Wal-Mart "test"??? Simple really...it has been open published that Wal-Mart will abide by state law so you do not have to worry about being told you cannot shop here. Wal-Mart is also a large to very large store with lots of people..it's basically a confidence builder.

I did my first OC at the Logger Rodeo in Sedro-Woolley in 1970. Why? Well they had a "quick draw" compitition on the main street of town that I went to see. After the compitition I saw a lot of people OCing and I stopped one of the competitors and ask about all the people OCing. He told me, perfectly legal, no license required...so, I went home, strapped on my Colt Revolver and joined in...went into every place in town that was open,,,no-one said a word, (or even noticed? hard to miss a 6" Colt)...anyway, that was my confidence builder...been OCing ever since.

Since I've been an adult...I've seen a guy OC'ing in Raymond, WA. I also saw a man OC'ing in Coeur D'Alene, ID. That is about it. I've OC'ed a few time when it's hot. My wife goes from CC to OC several times a day. She gets hot and has to take off her coat and than she gets cold and puts in back on.

OC is for the retired or unemployed (people with too much time on their hands), people trying to prove a point (people with too much time on their hands), or people living in places where cows outnumber them (people with too much time on their hands).

OC is for the retired or unemployed (people with too much time on their hands), people trying to prove a point (people with too much time on their hands), or people living in places where cows outnumber them (people with too much time on their hands).

2re17xu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please educate me. I've never heard the term "print" before. What does it mean? Thanks in advance :)

Printing is when whatever is covering/concealing your handgun is stretched tight enough over it that the outline of the hangun is visable to another person.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top