JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As rank newbie AR beginner, I've noted a considerable internet commentary on this model.

Would appreciate discussion of pros/cons of the model specific "Carbon 15" which I guess is no longer made.

I realize there was addition of a ejector port cover sometime in the model run, which also had other changes/upgrades.

I'm far more at home with single shot buffalo guns or even lever carbines. The EBRs just never have established much interest. What I hear is conflicting rumors & etc.

Much of the first ones were almost all proprietary parts. Once Bushmaster started making them, the design was changed to use quite a few milspec parts. I had one of the earlier ones. Nice light coyote rifle, but could be finicky. I swapped it away when I was offered a good trade. I miss the lightness, but that is about it.

I had one of the pre-bushy Carbon 15 carbines. bought it used. It had a quick release air hose type fitting flash hider on it, which promptly got lost while shooting it. Was also finicky on ammo. Traded it off.... Guns come and go.......

There was a time when these were cost effective. That time has passed for now. If that model was discontinued I would guess that would be a huge contributing factor. Some polymer lowers may be as good as metal ones but I cannot not see a case where they are ever better. Since metal milspec lowers can be has as little as $30 on up what would be the benefit of polymer when an effective and quality AR15 can be had for $400?

Just like the polymer ammo that was produced to be lightweight for military use, they do not hold up to the standards most are accustomed to with the aluminum counterparts.
I would be afraid to drop it on the butt stock and fear of it breaking off. Do some Googlefu and then make your decision to purchase or not.

Personally if I wanted a light weight AR, I would definitely consider these magnesium receivers.;)

Fostech Fighter Lite Ultra-Lightweight Magnesium AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver - Extremely Minor Finish Blem

Fostech Stripped Upper - Fighter Lite Ultra-Lightweight AR-15 Stripped Upper Receiver - May Have Very Minor Cosmetic Blemishes.

If you're wanting lightweight AR... there ought to be a way to build a sub-4lb AR with sights and 16" barrel for under $1000 right... without "swisscheesing" anything.

Free float handguard, mlok or keymod, pencil profile carbine length or midlength gas barrel, chopped A1/A2 front sight base (or equally light aluminum low profile gas block), magnesium lower receiver, whats the lightest shoulder stock/tube combo currently available? Of course this is supposing you want an AR carbine... for a "firearm", not necessarily a "pistol"; you could do cheek rest, pistol buffer tube, 12" pencil profile/lightweight carbine barrel, and a short handguard.... if its over 26" OAL then it is not a "pistol" under ATF rules :rolleyes:

Edit; I dont know how light .300blk barrels can be for a given length.... I do know that there are a few profiles of 5.56/.223 barrels available.

(or equally light aluminum low profile gas block)

LPGB yes, but never use aluminum, that's begging for trouble. There are plenty of ways to cut weight without compromising the weapon, many you mentioned. LW barrels with consistent tapered profile, losing the A-frame sight, GI barrel nut (and associated items) standard handguards and replacing with a LW MLOK handguard not only makes for a lighter weapon it shifts the balance toward the shooter, which, IMO, is just as important as the weight savings when it comes to handling. A reasonable stock configuration and not draping every gizmo and gadget know to man on it. That is how you end up a LW weapon. Two things I'll never go light weight on, buffers and the BCG for the same reason as no aluminum gas blocks.

ould be the benefit of polymer when an effective and quality AR15 can be had for $400?

that remains a good question
Of course this is supposing you want an AR carbine..

all good point of course;

I've struggled to develop interest in/taste for the EBR variants.
Even took day long class on 'how to build one', expecting the next week to return with a box of parts & feverish interest in doing just that.

So far nothing actually has worked to create such fervor....

On the other hand, I did grow enchanted enough with 223/556 to make a trade for a Ruger Scout. Whole different deal I know but basically reinforces my minimal interest in long guns.

Thanks for the comments.

I will pariot what has been said before. I had one of the originals, was very finicky the only good thing I'll say about it was it was light. Sold it promptly. If you wasn't a lightweight I'd suggest building your own.

I will pariot what has been said before. I had one of the originals, was very finicky the only good thing I'll say about it was it was light. Sold it promptly. If you wasn't a lightweight I'd suggest building your own.

Hell, even if you was a lightweight I'd avoid it.

M&P Sport is my goto in this price range. While it's not quite top tier in the AR market, it's well established as a quality choice.

Do note, however, that you can likely pickup a Colt for not too much more...which is a top tier rifle. The only possible downside to Colt is that they use a Carbine length gas system and some folks prefer the slightly softer shooting Mid Length system. But that's a small tradeoff IMO for this gun.

And if you're looking at Colt, take a look at the OEM 1 and 2 versions. They're a really good way to go if you'd like to add your own furniture...or if you ultimately plan to run a red dot and don't want a big fat front sight post sticking up in the middle of your optical view. :)

As rank newbie AR beginner, I've noted a considerable internet commentary on this model.

Would appreciate discussion of pros/cons of the model specific "Carbon 15" which I guess is no longer made.

I realize there was addition of a ejector port cover sometime in the model run, which also had other changes/upgrades.

I'm far more at home with single shot buffalo guns or even lever carbines. The EBRs just never have established much interest. What I hear is conflicting rumors & etc.
For a short time I had a Carbon carbine. It was made by the original maker in Lake Havasu,AZ. I didn't like it and sold it to my friend's son who was at that time a smallish kid. He still owns it. Mostly I did not like the elliptical fore end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top