JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has canceled Dick's Sporting Goods' membership, thereby expelling the company from the organization.
The NSSF's announcement came the day after renowned pistol and rifle maker Springfield Armory cut ties with Dick's.

In expelling Dick's, NSSF pointed to the company's corporate gun control as well its efforts to lobby Congress for gun control legislation.

NSSF announced:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dick's Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dick's Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for "[l]obbying related to gun control." Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dick's later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

The NSSF sponsors the annual SHOT Show in Las Vegas. That gathering features thirteen-plus miles of aisles of firearms and firearm accessories from manufacturers around the world.

Without guns, they are competing against Amazon and REI.

Amazon offers greater convenience than Dick's, and REI has higher quality merchandise. So where does Dick's fit in?

Brick and mortar stores are hurting in general, and without finding a niche, stores will have a hard time keeping the doors open.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has canceled Dick's Sporting Goods' membership, thereby expelling the company from the organization.
The NSSF's announcement came the day after renowned pistol and rifle maker Springfield Armory cut ties with Dick's.

In expelling Dick's, NSSF pointed to the company's corporate gun control as well its efforts to lobby Congress for gun control legislation.

NSSF announced:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dick's Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dick's Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for "[l]obbying related to gun control." Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dick's later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

The NSSF sponsors the annual SHOT Show in Las Vegas. That gathering features thirteen-plus miles of aisles of firearms and firearm accessories from manufacturers around the world.

Well, but in Dick's defense, they only made these moves in order to maintain their business with gun owners who support common sense gun controls.

They are already in some major financial trouble. This won't help.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4161823-dicks-sporting-goods-creek-without-paddle

Tantalizing quote on the first page: "... and a disadvantageous political alignment. For these reasons, the stock is a strong pass." Sadly, you have to sign up to see the rest of the pages and I don't care if it is free, don't need the spam, not even in my throwaway email addresses. Anyway -- has anyone been able to read far enough to find out what this disadvantageous political alignment is?

Edit: found a different source: Analyst slams Dick's Sporting Goods over new gun policies

As one would assume:
"In one fell swoop, Stack effectively alienated a large portion of the store's clientele base," Lodato said. " I don't understand why management would assume a political position, although a step toward stricter gun control may be the ethical or moral high ground, management should conceptualize that a sizable portion of shoppers are gun enthusiasts, resulting in both decreased sales and potential customer loss over this very personal issue. "

If I was 19 again, I'd go wander around putting stuff in a shopping cart from every part of the store. Then wander off and go home. Getting old sucks -- too childish for someone my age.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Dick's fold and go out of business. Sorry for those who work there, but the front office deserves to be unemployed...

Well, with so many retailers folding, it would be more surprising to see them survive, than not. Gander Mountain filed for bankruptcy last year, and the holding company that now owns them reduced their number of stores drastically. Cabela's would have had to file for bankruptcy last year too, if Bass Pro Shops had not gone ahead and purchased the company.

Big retailers in general are hurting. Sears, which is now also owned by a holding company, continues to close more and more stores. I honestly don't believe that Sears is going to be around much longer.

Dicks is like Target for qusi our door related krap toy can pretty much get any where else, Cheaper, like Wallywirld of sumsuch! I agree with Kruijl, Dicks will be all but finished in a year! With the mounting troubles they are in, including some I cannot mention, there history! A bad way to run a railroad says me, glad to see them suffering, I feels much better, and will tip a class when the final nail gets driven home on that coffin lid!:mad:

Start shorting Dick's now, boys and girls! If a lot of people start shorting, the Street will notice, and that'll hit their stock price further, and that in turn will accelerate things until either Bankruptcy or Investor Revolt...

Start shorting Dick's now, boys and girls! If a lot of people start shorting, the Street will notice, and that'll hit their stock price further, and that in turn will accelerate things until either Bankruptcy or Investor Revolt...

Not a bad play... Plus the sooner they go under, the fewer $ they have to pay their anti 2A lobbyists.... Boo-hoo...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top