JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the NRA is proposing increasing the federal budget by billions of dollars to pay for tens of thousands of new union government employees?

Sure, whatever.

But it's a solution in search of a problem. Columbine had an armed officer on-site. He may have helped LOWER the body count, but he certainly didn't prevent it. More officers at schools are *NOT* the answer any more than banning guns from law-abiding citizens are. (I have similar feelings about the TSA and the insane amount of security to get on an airplane.)

So the NRA is proposing increasing the federal budget by billions of dollars to pay for tens of thousands of new union government employees?

Sure, whatever.

But it's a solution in search of a problem. Columbine had an armed officer on-site. He may have helped LOWER the body count, but he certainly didn't prevent it. More officers at schools are *NOT* the answer any more than banning guns from law-abiding citizens are. (I have sim
ilar feelings about the TSA and the insane amount of security to get on an airplane.)

The government has enough $$ already. They just needs to use it properly.
And I think lowering the body count is a good thing. There is also better odds of lowering it all the wag down to 1. The perp.

Sure, whatever.

But it's a solution in search of a problem. Columbine had an armed officer on-site. He may have helped LOWER the body count, but he certainly didn't prevent it. More officers at schools are *NOT* the answer any more than banning guns from law-abiding citizens are. (I have similar feelings about the TSA and the insane amount of security to get on an airplane.)

I agree its a bandaid but since our culture would rather have feel good than actual solutions that get results this may minimize the gun attach. Although I can see obammy taking this idea to expand gov to put the purverted TSA in charge of our schools that would not be good for children or our wallet.

Here is a non reader of the speech with a knee jerk reaction. NRA is asking about a volunteer security force, mainly of retired, qualified people to be in place at schools by the first full week in january. They have apointed Aza, to oversee immediate action without our do nothing Congress. Everyone needs to be informed, as this is extremely fast moving policy.

Here is a non reader of the speech with a knee jerk reaction. NRA is asking about a volunteer security force, mainly of retired, qualified people to be in place at schools by the first full week in january. They have apointed Aza, to oversee immediate action without our do nothing Congress. Everyone needs to be informed, as this is extremely fast moving policy.

<broken link removed>
I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school

Yes, he says to hire "active and retired police; active, reserve and retired military; security professionals; certified firefighters and rescue personnel; and an extraordinary corps of patriotic, trained qualified citizens..." But to hire them. Hutchinson called it a volunteer program (with training provided by, and paid to, the NRA, of course,) but LaPierre definitely called them "police officers", not "volunteer security". And police officers are paid. Mostly because LaPierre couldn't care less, as long as the NRA gets their training money.

blaming video games is like blaming guns. That really didnt need to be there. Especially blaming a lame old flash game. um, I think you probably forget that a good chunk of NRA members probably know what Call of Duty is.

In my opinion, a disasterous speech (not a press conference). We all agree with the old adage, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Unfortunately, NRA's Wayne LaPierre was WAY off the mark seemingly trying to blame violent movies and video games. Foolish things to say. That logic trail is frought with problems, which will come back full curcle (to "guns"): Free will is in the past...since people are so influenced by imagary, we need to keep guns away. I can just hear it now. Fire the speech writer and knock Wayne down to the mail room. What an embarassment.

the NRA's media machine is going to be way out of step with the independents in this country. i am a life member but wish they would play to getting more moderates on our side as they are the swing vote in this country. if you are going to blame video games then you might as well blame guns to it seems fair. till emotions die down some there is no arguing about what to do. hence the reason Obama is in a big hurry to pass legislation while he has some momentum.

Anti-gunners chain the country to cornerstone of gun control

Betting that the gun prohibition lobby will dismiss and then savage any proposal to address criminal violence that does not start with banning some type of firearm is as predictable as rain in Seattle.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

hire "active and retired police; active, reserve and retired military; security professionals; certified firefighters and rescue personnel; and an extraordinary corps of patriotic, trained qualified citizens..." But to hire them. Hutchinson called it a volunteer program (with training provided by, and paid to, the NRA, of course,) but LaPierre definitely called them "police officers", not "volunteer security". And police officers are paid. Mostly because LaPierre couldn't care less, as long as the NRA gets their training money.

Your emphasized words were not used to detail the National School Shield Program by the Honorable Asa Hutchingson. There are those who often twist words, to make their agenda more appealing to their own minds.

While I agree that this is not a gun issue and I also agree that movies and video games are not the problem, I think this is an attempt at diverting some of the attention from the gun-control issue. I don't believe it will because the gun grabbers are so intent on gun control regardless of whether it lowers violent crime. Solutions to problems always come second when it comes to politics. Gun control would make the gun grabbers "feel" better but would do absolutely nothing to keep citizens safer. I don't see how that is so hard to see.

The worst school massacre in US history took place in 1937 long before Call of Duty or the Xbox was around.

Is it possible you meant 1927, and reference to this:
Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read about this event realize it was explosives used. The man who did this left a message on his fence.

When the airplanes were used for the 911 attacks, the answer was tighter security and armed air marshalls on the planes, they also armed the pilots. The President has armed Secret Service, there are many important people that have armed security, and lets look at Israel, do you think they don't arm themselves to protect their children.
The number of laws broken by the man that did Sandy Hook was many, do you really think one more law would have stopped him? He stole his guns, he killed the person he stole them from, he was a mental case who would not have been able to buy guns, what is wrong with people, it is not the guns, it is a mental case, the only way to stop him is to kill him.

So stand on the bodies of the dead children, proclaim your antigun bias, don't let a crisis go to waste, in the mean time when it happens again no amount of new laws will stop it.

It's chess not checkers. You give an inch, they'll seize a mile. You demand more, they either ante up or back down.

Offering the 'guards solution' was a strategic move to back them off. The rest is sophistry, rhetoric.

Write your congresspeople. Two lines: If you move to advance, introduce, vote for, or in any way whatsoever support any legislation hindering possession of firearms to lawful citizens your political career is over. I will make it my personal mission to ensure as much. Sincerely, X.

To clarify my previous comments, if anyone cares....
I was primarily addressing the school shield proposal.
In terms of the perspective on games and Hollywood...I believe they can have an effect on the smallest fraction of people. But I also believe that the proliferation of them is an indicator of a societal perspective on the sanctity of life in general. We shall see as the investigation continues, it the CT shooter was playing 'kindergarten killer' etc...

Is it possible you meant 1927, and reference to this:
Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read about this event realize it was explosives used. The man who did this left a message on his fence.

When the airplanes were used for the 911 attacks, the answer was tighter security and armed air marshalls on the planes, they also armed the pilots. The President has armed Secret Service, there are many important people that have armed security, and lets look at Israel, do you think they don't arm themselves to protect their children.
The number of laws broken by the man that did Sandy Hook was many, do you really think one more law would have stopped him? He stole his guns, he killed the person he stole them from, he was a mental case who would not have been able to buy guns, what is wrong with people, it is not the guns, it is a mental case, the only way to stop him is to kill him.

So stand on the bodies of the dead children, proclaim your antigun bias, don't let a crisis go to waste, in the mean time when it happens again no amount of new laws will stop it.

Yep, that's the one. My memory failed me on the year when I posted.

So, if gaffe-a-minute joe comes up with another AWB, and the next hate-school-kids-nutjob starts tossing molotov cocktails, do we outlaw gasoline?

I am a tax paying parent of more than one child in public school.
I would be completely fine with my property tax going up to fund school security, if that's what it took.
I would be completely fine being a parent volunteer (I already volunteer for other stuff there, so this would be like double duty!). Whatever training is necessary, fine. I can get behind that.

What I can't get behind is making schools 'Gun Free'.... I do not wish my or anyone's children to be easy targets for the sick and evil with nobody there to defend them.
My wife and I are contemplating going back to home schooling. At least there, the kids are protected. (And no, home schooling isn't only at home. damn it's a lot of work and a lot of traveling around town... but with safety at least).

Guarantee you this or private schools will be the big deal next year .....

I have to change that thought mid way.

Either way,if guns come to school or if they don't,private schools and home teaching will increase dramatically.
Libs won't want their babies at schools with the guns and the normals will not want their babies unguarded.

So invest in private schools next year.
This will be a harsh battle

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews