JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I listened to the press conference on CNN for about half an hour and read the speech on the NRA site. I want to repeat my earlier statement: This Congress will not pass gun control. It will not happen.

I listened to the press conference on CNN for about half an hour and read the speech on the NRA site. I want to repeat my earlier statement: This Congress will not pass gun control. It will not happen.

To everyone here: This doesn't mean we can be complacent. Write your federal and state legislators anyway.

Yeah, I'm just happy they didn't come out and throw their support behind the bans being debated. I'm still not sure I trust the NRA 100%. But I'm glad they had better things to say than we surrender...

I liked it... but I also understand that they have salaries to pay; if they came out and said they surrender, they'd loose memberships, loose revenue, loose jobs.

The NRA has too much power and money to be trusted 100%, I agree. However, their statement today was a no BS statement of fact and the plan is solid. It is a plan that our government needs to get behind - and I mean not just back it, they need to support it.

There is no reason why the government can't fund infrastructure upgrades in the form of access control and physical security improvements to supplement the security that will be provided through the NRA. The President stated that doing nothing isn't an option. Stricter gun laws not only infringe on our rights but they don't work. This is a plan that our elected officials should be able to come together on. In my opinion, Mr. Obama should either get on board with this or get out of the way.

I am a tax paying parent of more than one child in public school.
I would be completely fine with my property tax going up to fund school security, if that's what it took.
I would be completely fine being a parent volunteer (I already volunteer for other stuff there, so this would be like double duty!). Whatever training is necessary, fine. I can get behind that.

What I can't get behind is making schools 'Gun Free'.... I do not wish my or anyone's children to be easy targets for the sick and evil with nobody there to defend them.
My wife and I are contemplating going back to home schooling. At least there, the kids are protected. (And no, home schooling isn't only at home. damn it's a lot of work and a lot of traveling around town... but with safety at least).

naturally, I've written about it
NRA rips ‘gun-free’ zones, launches National School Safety Shield program

<broken link removed>

BUT there is more....we've all talked about the stupidity of gun free zones...and now LaPierre is talking about the effect violence in the media including films, television and video games may be having, which certainly need to be part of the discussion...

but anyone who complacently thinks Congress will do nothing is of the same mindset that thought Obama wouldn't do anything about guns. ;)

I think putting blame on video games, movies and other entertainment outlets is wrong. Millions of people play video games and watch movies and TV and manage to not commit mass killings. Same with millions of law abiding gun owners. I'm just curious why there always needs to be some external cause? Can't we just blame the actions of a individual?

The worst school massacre in US history took place in 1937 1927 long before Call of Duty or the Xbox was around.

Last Edited:
My main reaction to this is...why is the NRA responding? This isn't a gun issue.

I know, the realities of politics, etc.
Because obama has organized a task force to outline plans for new, restrictive gun laws in the wake of the Newtown killings.
Laws that we, and the NRA KNOW will involve greater infringements on our right to keep and bear arms.

You know it isn't a gun issue.
I know it isn't a gun issue.

But obama is turning it into one so he can disarm more Americans.
Thank God for the NRA.
Or don't, for you secular types, just thank the NRA directly.

I can get behind the NRA plan, but it won't happen. Remember, "never waste a tragedy to get things accomplished you couldn't otherwise get done". The only thing that will be accomplished with stricter gun laws is that the law abiding citizen will be giving up more of his 2A rights, and THAT is the goal.

This type of reporting by the media just crawls all over me. From CBS News:

NRA: Guns in schools would protect students - CBS News

From the 3rd paragraph, "In the aftermath of the shootings, there has been much speculation as to the state of Adam Lanza's mental health, but no concrete evidence has been established that he was mentally ill." REALLY? He put 4 bullets into his mother's head and then went to a Grade School and shot 6 adults and 20 children. Shot them all multiple times.

What more proof do you need?

"You know it isn't a gun issue.
I know it isn't a gun issue.

But obama is turning it into one so he can disarm more Americans."

Obama has only expanded gun rights to this date. I don't think he wanted to address this policy. I dont think hes a gun guy per se but I think the juice wasnt worth the squeeze to him to win this fight. However, there is now a larger contingent of people that are sick of gun violence and want a ban. And thats a great American debate to have but not whther he's a akin to a Nazi or really wants to enslave you or is kenyan or whatever has any relevance. I'm certain that he'd rather be working on growing the economy and negotiating the fiscal cliff and tax policy in general. I don't think this interests him past being heart broken for the parents of Newtown and heeding the call increasing ground support for a ban.

And I don't think you are all that familiar with obama's background Suge.

He's been around gun ban advocates his entire career, from way back when the Joyce foundation started.

This type of reporting by the media just crawls all over me. From CBS News:

NRA: Guns in schools would protect students - CBS News

From the 3rd paragraph, "In the aftermath of the shootings, there has been much speculation as to the state of Adam Lanza's mental health, but no concrete evidence has been established that he was mentally ill." REALLY? He put 4 bullets into his mother's head and then went to a Grade School and shot 6 adults and 20 children. Shot them all multiple times.

What more proof do you need?

Isn't it obvious the "assault weapon" is to blame?

He is well wide of the mark when it comes to critiquing the entertainment industry. Just because some bad/crazy people see films/games and do things so we should focus on those is the same argument being made about guns.

For the rest, generally on point and agreeable. Although the main proposal isn't likely to go over well with the protectionists that think signs declaring "gun-free zone" work as intended.

And I don't think you are all that familiar with obama's background Suge.

He's been around gun ban advocates his entire career, from way back when the Joyce foundation started.

Personally I'm sure he's not a big fan of guns. Politically hes too much of pragmatist to expend the political capital and I'm sure hes conflicted as Constitutional expert on the 2A. However, his hand is being forced, which is my point. High cap mags and military style rifles are tough to defend for a large and growing contingent.

I think putting blame on video games, movies and other entertainment outlets is wrong. Millions of people play video games and watch movies and TV and manage to not commit mass killings. Same with millions of law abiding gun owners. I'm just curious why there always needs to be some external cause? Can't we just blame the actions of a individual?

The worst school massacre in US history took place in 1937 long before Call of Duty or the Xbox was around.

Thanks for pointing this out as nobody stated it on the forum. So many people have (correctly) posted that we shouldn't blame guns for what happened and yet most people are praising what the NRA said today. If guns aren't to blame then neither are video games and the NRA partially blamed video games for the actions of one man. I guess it's ok so long as the blame is shifted though. Bunch of damn hypocrites.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top